PDA

View Full Version : NSW CAI (pod filter) P Plater

tame27
13-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Hey guys
just wondering if anyones looked into p platers having pod filters in their cars,ive got one that runs down into a enclosed part of the engine bay and isnt inside the stock airbox.
ive done a bit of reading and seen a thread where some people said it only needs the airbox if its in the engine bay.

anyone able to confirm if airboxes are only needed for pod filters in the engine bay.

Btw i drive a CL9 euro.

cheers

hilarryous
13-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Pod filters are legal if they're enclosed. You should be safe.

3RotaRX
13-09-2012, 10:47 PM
you will be fine.

tame27
13-09-2012, 11:03 PM
thanks

Will update if i ever get introuble :P

ceekay101
15-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Correct the main thing is that they arent exposed. So if its located in the body of the car and you cant physically touch it, its visually legal. BUT due to the excess noise it makes if they do a decibel reading of your intake it may fail. But i highly doubt they would do.

tame27
15-09-2012, 06:03 PM
cheers mate , just all my friends saying its illegal haha just trying to get a little conformation.

mattsrea
30-09-2012, 09:11 PM
lol mate since your a p plater (like i am) any mod is illegal, those rules only apply to full licence people. However most p platers have intakes lol, i gotta cold air intake in my ej8 and im on green p's.

Cr0wbar
03-10-2012, 02:04 AM
I've had P plates for just over a year now and I've had a completely exposed pod the whole time haha. I haven't had my engine checked once so I haven't had any problems, but if you feel you may run in to problems then you should enclose it somehow. Not to mention you'll get better performace with enclosing it anyway. Engine heat is a killer with summer creeping up.

EDIT: I didn't really answer the question haha. Basically I believe it is illegal to have an exposed pod, but I'm too stupid to care at the moment haha.

xenonkuraz
03-10-2012, 11:35 AM
gee i miss those p plater days driving around a vtir teg :D

phuongvu88
03-10-2012, 05:59 PM
you're driving a CL9, cops will look at your engine bay only when you got doof doof, fart fart, scratch scratch and poke poke happening

holim
26-01-2013, 03:59 PM
If the cops give you crap, just tell them it doesn't give you more power so it's not a performance mod haha

Oz_Striker
26-01-2013, 08:28 PM
lol mate since your a p plater (like i am) any mod is illegal, those rules only apply to full licence people. However most p platers have intakes lol, i gotta cold air intake in my ej8 and im on green p's.

Correct, I got done for having a pod filter as well as a few other things, the officers reason was "it makes it like a v8", dafauq is that?? Lol moral of that story is some cops are idiots and will sometimes defect you for things they don't even fully understand. Anyway as said above in a cl9 they will mainly pull you over for noise and lowness, all the fun stuff! Just try not to attract attention an you'll be fine, worst thing they can do is tell you to take it off, if you play dumb and aren't a smart ass it's unlikely they'll fine you on the first time

mattsrea
27-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Yeah but seriously, drive smart dont be an idiot infront of cops, just drive normally 70% of the time they will just look at you and drive off.

Setanta
02-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Unsealed pod = illegal. Sealed intake = legal.

To be safe, gut your resonator from the factory box and remove the snorkel to the front of the car, drill a nice hole in the bottom and run flexible ducting between it and a low point of the car. Increased airflow, slight improvement in sound, cheap mod and your filter is still enclosed. Caveat: do this mod at your own risk.

Interestingly, my E30 had its airbox and a pod attached when I bought it. I removed it and bought a carbon fibre roll with K&N inside and ducted it to the front of the car (completely sealed). Police have asked me to lift the hood twice, one commented that it was a nice mod and moved me on :)

chunky
02-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Would something like this be okay?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8235/8400222917_dc8fe02a7e_c.jpg

mattsrea
02-02-2013, 04:14 PM
I don't know i think your meant to completely cover the filter up so IF cops tells you to open up your bonnet, they could make up some bs saying its not enclosed even if you technically did. Just cover it completely so its not visible to the human eye.

Setanta
02-02-2013, 05:37 PM
^^ correct. It's considered to be open to the air and therefore illegal.

mattsrea
02-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Just make a custom one out of sheet metal and carbon wrap it no biggie. If you had an ek something like this would be perfect
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pod-Air-Filter-Cover-RED-Civic-EF-EG-EK-EM-CAI-Intake-/150925354558?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2323da263e

Slow.ek1
05-02-2013, 07:15 AM
buy a injen it hides the pod filter :)

problem solved

but have been told by cops why i have a intercooler setup

PMSL!!