PDA

View Full Version : jazz: steering, and back seats uncomfortable?

deadpoet
13-03-2005, 03:55 PM
I was just wondering if any Jazz owners could tell me if the steering on the Jazz is not responsive enough when going around a roundabout for example? I remember reading a review that said the Jazz's steering wheel takes 3.5 revolutions lock-to-lock, which can keep the driver very busy when turning.

Is this true, in your experience? Does the Jazz have significantly different steering characteristics to other cars which requires more revolutions of the steering wheel?

I also remember seeing some owners commenting that the steering behaves strangely at different speeds, and that the power steering often kicks in "suddenly", especially at low-speeds (when parking). Was this just an early problem or is the same true of the latest Jazz cars?

Also, can anybody tell me if the back seats of the Jazz are badly designed (because of the angle?) so much that they become uncomfortable to sit in except for brief periods of time?

I'm eyeing the Jazz Vibe 1.5L VTi for possible purchase, but I'm not up to the stage where I'm ready to go for a test drive yet :)

Catcha
13-03-2005, 04:42 PM
I was just wondering if any Jazz owners could tell me if the steering on the Jazz is not responsive enough when going around a roundabout for example? I remember reading a review that said the Jazz's steering wheel takes 3.5 revolutions lock-to-lock, which can keep the driver very busy when turning.

Is this true, in your experience? Does the Jazz have significantly different steering characteristics to other cars which requires more revolutions of the steering wheel?

I also remember seeing some owners commenting that the steering behaves strangely at different speeds, and that the power steering often kicks in "suddenly", especially at low-speeds (when parking). Was this just an early problem or is the same true of the latest Jazz cars?

Also, can anybody tell me if the back seats of the Jazz are badly designed (because of the angle?) so much that they become uncomfortable to sit in except for brief periods of time?

I'm eyeing the Jazz Vibe 1.5L VTi for possible purchase, but I'm not up to the stage where I'm ready to go for a test drive yet :)

I think most of what you said is pretty true to some degree,

1, It aint no sports car to take corners in
2, It aint a Euro for luxury
3, parking is parking, people complain when then can't park it;s there fault not the car

Having said all of this, go take one for a test drive and don't read entirely what people say, your views maybe different from others.

This is the best little car I have had.

FB008
13-03-2005, 04:45 PM
just go for a test drive... it's the easiest way to answer those questions. it doesnt cost a thing either!

as for my experiences, i find that the steering is very consistent. i dont have a problem with it at all. can't say anything about the back seats since its been about 2 years since i sat in the back seat. but none of my passengers have complained :)

Catcha
13-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Seats are firm from the last time i recalled sitting in them in a mates car, but hey who cares as long as your comfortable it's fine, do you do long drive to sydney to melbourne or something then you might have a problem with passengers in the rear complaining

asiansquad
13-03-2005, 05:29 PM
i went up to sydney with my jazz...we had 3 ppl...we took turns in driving and taking rests...the back seat was pretty comfortable

gd1_nz
13-03-2005, 06:00 PM
yea, to some degrees i think u are right abt those 3 points. Sometimes i feel the steering is lighter on some days when i am parking. As for the backsheet, the angle is a bit too upright for my liking.

racinghonda
13-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Its true that the steering will keep you a little busy, but that is only when parking the little bugga. And its 3.5 turns lock to lock because the front wheels do turn a long way giving the car a very small turning circle. The turning circle is comparable to my Prelude! (Prelude has 4 wheel steer).
As for the weighting of the steering wheel, I think its fine, if anything I wished there was a little more assistance at parking speed as it is a little heavy.
The Jazz is pretty much my daily driver and it takes me a little while to get used to it after jumping from the Prelude which is only 2.4 turns lock to lock.
As for the seats? Hey its a sub $25k car, just remember that and you'll be mightily impressed with it. They are on the firm side but those are the best kind for long trips.

TypeG
13-03-2005, 07:21 PM
lol
the back seat should be what a Jazz should proud of as I can fit like at least 2 clothes dryer machines when I delivery to the buyers' house with many rooms left after magic seats are down. Also there is so much room for passengers' feet at the back so u can sit whatever u like.
For parking.... sometimes it depends yr car is moving when u turn yr steeling or not. All depends on SKILL. LOL

Zimp13
13-03-2005, 07:30 PM
lol
the back seat should be what a Jazz should proud of as I can fit like at least 2 clothes dryer machines when I delivery to the buyers' house with many rooms left after magic seats are down. Also there is so much room for passengers' feet at the back so u can sit whatever u like.
For parking.... sometimes it depends yr car is moving when u turn yr steeling or not. All depends on SKILL. LOL

wow... mini van.... hahahha.... next time i need to deliver something i will call u ok??? hahah.. u got better skill.... :D

racinghonda
13-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Oh, one thing I forgot to add is the the steering wheel itself is great, the rim is nice and thick and the wheel is small. And this isn't even a VTi-S (its a VTi). So imagine how nice it would be on the top range model.

Magic seats rule!!

TypeG
13-03-2005, 07:51 PM
lol
rip yr rear seat off danny and u can fit more things than us
anyway, magic seat really OWN

ahcash
13-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Jazz power steering is electrical assist which is different from other same class cars, e.g. Mazda2, Fiesta. So far I do not have any problem with the power steering... but one of my friends who owns a previous model 323 Astina said that the steering wheel is not as light as the 323. In a sense you do not want it too light in my opinion as you want to have some feedback from the steering wheel... Parking is not a problem for me.. I reckon it depends on the driver...

Back seat is always a problem for long distance journey for all cars... I need to take a few stops for a long drive, e.g. Mel-Syd. My friend drove from Mel to Syd with 2 teenagers at the back without any problem...

I cannot make much comments as I don't sit at the back of the Jazz at all... So far, no complaints from my passengers...

wyl03
14-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Steering always feel a bit light for me. No big deal. You get use to it.

The rear passegers sit in a rather "high" position. But it's a comfortable upright position.
- Rear headrest is a big plus.
- "Magic" seats are also a big plus especially if you have dogs, like me.

Have you ever sat in the rear of a Peugeot 206? that's an absolutet shocker. (off-topic)

MRFIT
14-03-2005, 10:07 AM
as the jazz owners from melb probably already know.....

I personally LOVE the Magic Seats.... hahaha.....;)

Zimp13
14-03-2005, 10:48 AM
as the jazz owners from melb probably already know.....

I personally LOVE the Magic Seats.... hahaha.....;)

Must listen from the experienced one... heheheh

civiceg9
14-03-2005, 12:49 PM
The Jazz steering wheel is too light, and has been complainted before in many magazine I read. You can't feel the road at all and I find it dangerous with no feed back from the road.

Seats are ok, is the cheapest Honda out there but is also a Honda Quality Product
So I rate them ok.

spoon fit
14-03-2005, 06:05 PM
haha.."Magic Seats"! MRFIT really LOVE it

Jazz Bear
14-03-2005, 06:15 PM

I've had my Jazz for just over 6 months and I've taken quite long trips in it and have taken my Mum and Dad for a long drive in it too. They've got a 2003 Corolla and Mum says that the turning circle on the Jazz is much better. I don't find the steering to unresponsive, but that it probably because I palm the wheel rather than use the hand over hand method that's taught at a driving school, so I guess it depends on your driving style. If you want to know anything else, let me know. :wave:

deadpoet
14-03-2005, 09:01 PM
wow what a flood of responses! Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm definitely going to go for a test drive soon :)