PDA

View Full Version : Buying unregistered car

KeyMan
14-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Hi all, I have managed to come across a great deal on a car but the only thing is that it's unregistered and the person selling says he is selling the car on behalf of his friend who has gone overseas.

I've done the research and I know I will have to apply for a unregistered vehicle permit to test drive it, get it to a mechanic, do a roadworthy and register the car at vicroads. I've got the whole process down pat except for the registration part. On the vicroads website, it says to ask the seller for a receipt and keep this as proof of purchase and ownership. The problem is that the person selling isn't the owner, he's selling on behalf of his friend. So is there anyway I can cover myself and not get potentially scammed? The car checks out fine with no finance, no write off and not stolen but who's to say that they won't report the car stolen once it's in my hands?

Is is possible to go forward with the purchase and be covered for this? Thanks!

mocchi
14-09-2012, 08:26 AM
get the owner of car to write you the receipt once owner comes back.
ask phone number and call owner directly.
sounds fishy ay

remember when things are too good to be true...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqICjvM2xxMPRMG1x6md95LV4khTZ5S uSlO7adF0W1S02Vc0M1o5Q9KlQyGg

GU357
14-09-2012, 01:39 PM
hmm, you have to get a a receipt FROM the owner.

Ask him to send you the Chassis number or VIN
so that you can check it on the ROADS website (that thing that checks car history)
it might of been written off, and not be register-able anymore.

when you get the reciept with his signature on it, make sure it includes the Chassis number and engine numbers, and that kind of thing.
also get a picture of you shaking his hand infront of the car whilst holding the reciept.

good luck.

if as soon as u drive away, the report it stolen as long as you have a reciept, and the pciture you will be good.
And if you rock up to the licensing depo and they say bla bla its stolen, show them the documentation/photo explaining you purchased it legally, and then try contacting the police to have it unmarked as stolen property

what car is it?

curtis265
14-09-2012, 01:41 PM
smells like fish to me.

LOL mocchi

dolan sel cra 4 chip y u no buy

KeyMan
14-09-2012, 01:45 PM
I've done the PPSR searches and it all seems legit. No write off, no finance, not stolen.

I texted them today regarding the actual owner and this is what I got:

Me: Hey mate, forgot to ask last night if your friend is still in the
state/contactable as vicroads won't allow me to register the car
unless I have a receipt with the details of the previous owner before
it's unregistered.

Them: Hi, I am quite sure that is incorrect, and only applies if the car
registration has been cancelled. Currently the registration is expired
and thus only requires the normal vicroads application of transfer
form. Which I have, and has been filled out before he left.

What do you guys thing? Seems like the owner might not be in town anymore...
Also, forgot to mention the car became unregistered because it expired back on 25th June.

mocchi
14-09-2012, 01:57 PM
no dont do it.
only get receipt from owner

KeyMan
14-09-2012, 02:00 PM
what car is it?

It's a DC5S.

This one to be precise:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/honda-integra-2004-12380647?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=4&eapi=2&__N=1246+1247+1252+1282+903+1216&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Price:10000,Max~0.5&items=

KeyMan
14-09-2012, 02:49 PM
no dont do it.
only get receipt from owner

Ok, the general consensus is that unless I am able to make contact with the owner, get all parties to sign a contract/receipt with ALL details stated then I should stay away.

Thank you all very much for your help. This deal could very well be legit but I'd rather not leave myself open with no way of protecting myself. Best I just move on and keep looking

Cheers!

GU357
14-09-2012, 03:39 PM
a standard transfer of registration only applies to registered vehicles. you cant transfer registration if it doesnt have it, whether it has been canceled or expired (to the best of my knowledge), if your rego expires they cancel it.
so expired and canceled could be the same ??

edit:
its a nice looking car, but just wait around and the perfect type R might pop up.
i remember after buying my shitty b16 eg a better b18 eg popped up for only another 1000$.
but ofcourse that doesnt always happen ahaha.

Indie
14-09-2012, 07:23 PM
The owner should still be able to be contacted for this. Selling an unregistered car through a friend, and can't be contacted? I'd avoid.

eLtrix
14-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Id ****ing run like the wind.

hmetro24
14-09-2012, 07:29 PM
You need car purchase receipt from the seller(not his friend). Which include engine number, Vin number, seller details. You go to vic road and ask for Driving Permit to do RWC. Than ask vic road for Unregistered car appointment, you take rwc and purchase receipt, money. All they do in vic road is (checking engine number and vin number that they are right in both rwc and receipt(it will take 5mins). They will give you a number plate, and registration sticker. take a screw driver with you to put number plate on the car. Holllaaa the car is registered.
Before buying the car, check the car status in vic roads website

eren
14-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Man dont hassle for that. i had a mate who was in the same situation bought a charade lolz and then he was heavly fined for theft.... they make money from your purchase then they get the car back of you.. and make you look like the bad guy. 13,000 for a dc5 hmm save abit more and buy one thats registed and buy it off the owner face to face, if you do happen to buy it get as much as evidence as you can just incase like take photos of the ad etc, and save the txt messages, - goodluck

davek
16-09-2012, 05:12 AM
Sounds too good to be true, and as we know if something seems that way it generally is.
Tell them to rego it or you dont buy it, get in contact with owner say you are happy to pay for rego but want a hassle free drive away. That is not an unreasonable request. Tell them you have the money, want to buy, will do so if they do this for you. Put the pressure back on them.

Be very careful, mate. I had many dramas years ago when I rushed in and purchased an unregistered Harley from a mate of a mate that was soo cheap I thought I was getting the bargain of the century.

muzukashi
16-09-2012, 10:04 AM
It would be pretty stupid to knock back a potential buyer on the seller's behalf just because the owner cannot be contacted for the buyer's peace of mind - None the less i'd stay away if they don't play ball with you sounds like huge fish

FenrirWC
16-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Sounds too good to be true, and as we know if something seems that way it generally is.
Tell them to rego it or you dont buy it, get in contact with owner say you are happy to pay for rego but want a hassle free drive away. That is not an unreasonable request. Tell them you have the money, want to buy, will do so if they do this for you. Put the pressure back on them.

Be very careful, mate. I had many dramas years ago when I rushed in and purchased an unregistered Harley from a mate of a mate that was soo cheap I thought I was getting the bargain of the century.

This mate is the best option if your a really serious about buying the car. If they are unwilling to register the vehicle for you to then transfer the papers over even if you offer to pay the registration it is a no go.

All honesty im sure you can find another clean car with maybe less km or cheaper or with more mods but you are going about it the right way unlike some who just dive right in :D hope it all works out for ya man.

GU357
16-09-2012, 01:33 PM
this deal is muzukashii, it will be kurushii.
:)

Johnie
17-09-2012, 12:50 AM
Rego expired means he didn't pay the rego but still has the plates, i know this as i have bought/sold lots of cars i know how vicroads system works,
if he still has the plates, ask him to pay the rego and sell it to u registered without roadworthy, some seller will not do this, as they think rwc is a must to a car registered.

It doesnt look that sus at all, just take a look at the transfer paper and check if it all matches up to vicroads system to the vin/previous rego if he was the last registered owner get some paper prove of it.
I have sold many unreg cars and they were not even in my name previously as i bought them unreg, all u need is a written receipt with the basic details.

muzukashi
17-09-2012, 09:29 AM
this deal is muzukashii, it will be kurushii.
:)

LOL definitely budd