PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission Dipstick - where art thou ??

civicvti1994
14-09-2012, 11:10 AM
1994 Civic Vti Auto - Jan 1994 Build (Engine number - D16Y1 1000943).

My Owners Manual shows the location on the transmission and towards the drivers side with a stubby dip stick with a "yellow loop" ... a visual inspection of the depths of the engine bay shows no such creature hiding there.

A search of auto tranny fluid change Threads shows either a dip stick entry point or a bolt located on top of the auto transmission ... a re-inspection shows that i do have a bolt (probably around 22mm) sitting on the auto transmission close by the sticker advising the auto tranny number.

i am now assuming that my vehicle does not have a dip stick but does have the bolt access arrangement to top up or change tranny fluid ... ???? .. confirmation appreciated.

is this usual/unusual for this model .. ???

2MPRS
14-09-2012, 12:12 PM
its right next to the shock tower behind the transmission mount heres some pics of mine
http://i46.tinypic.com/akx4l3.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/9v9k04.jpg

sensei_
14-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Also if you remove it, watch out for the small metal notch. you dont want to put it in the wrong way and force the rubber seal to not mate properly.

Jasemas
14-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Worst place to put the auto tranmission dipstick imo

sensei_
14-09-2012, 05:56 PM
absolute idiots. ive seen many stupid things on honda. exposed electrical wiring on the legend. amazing that they didnt think of using a plastic cover of some sort to protect it from the elements.

civicvti1994
14-09-2012, 07:39 PM
thanks for the four replies above ... looks as if i did not look closely enough ... i am the dipstick .. !!!! ... lol.

Jasemas
14-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Off topic
But who the hell puts an oil filter at the back of an engine block?
The engineers at Honda just want to see this world burn

SLOBRO
14-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Off topic
But who the hell puts an oil filter at the back of an engine block?
The engineers at Honda just want to see this world burn
Mate don't question HONDASSSSS engineering better than half the shit out there

GU357
15-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Just jack the car up. and as far as a tranny dipstick goes, that an ok spot. it doesnt have to checked as regular so when it does, the fact that the air intake and that need to come out is irrelevant because its not done al the time.
same for the oil filter.
its not like filling the car up with petrol, i admit if i had to climb under my car and put the nozzle into the tank, that would be retarded.
since i have to fill up every week / 300kms

civicvti1994
15-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks, 2MPRS .... Located ... it seems that the ravages of time and a hot engine bay managed to remove the "yellow loop". This, along with a good dose of oil and dust provided an excellent degree of camouflage ... no issue removing or replacing it.

The good news is that the fluid was bright and clear and at a good level. Will do a flush anyway.

its right next to the shock tower behind the transmission mount heres some pics of mine
http://i46.tinypic.com/akx4l3.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/9v9k04.jpg

GU357
15-09-2012, 04:08 PM
its always good to do a auto tranny flush, especially when buying a second hand car

sensei_
15-09-2012, 04:53 PM
and please dont forget to drop the pan. ive heard people taking the easy way out, and not dropping the pan. that means that the crap inside is still there on the filter

civicvti1994
15-09-2012, 05:21 PM
yep, second that and thanks guys for the tips ...

my wife bought the car some 5 years ago for her daughter to learn to drive and go through her Ps ... the vehicle has now returned home with daughter upgrading significantly and earning good moolah after moving to Brisbane a couple of years ago.

it is my first exposure to Honda and somewhat different to my two Nissan 300ZXs ... !!!!

thanks again for all the help to a real NOOB.

GU357
15-09-2012, 08:02 PM
civic = good car?

OK, hope you enjoy your stay on OzHonda!

civicvti1994
15-09-2012, 08:43 PM
mate, for me, as a non mechancial, non technical, non electrical NOOB, the patience you guys/gals have accorded me is most impressive ..

heaps of thanks ... !!!

civic = good car?

OK, hope you enjoy your stay on OzHonda!

sensei_
15-09-2012, 09:11 PM
yep, second that and thanks guys for the tips ...

my wife bought the car some 5 years ago for her daughter to learn to drive and go through her Ps ... the vehicle has now returned home with daughter upgrading significantly and earning good moolah after moving to Brisbane a couple of years ago.

it is my first exposure to Honda and somewhat different to my two Nissan 300ZXs ... !!!!

thanks again for all the help to a real NOOB.

no one is born to know everything. i started off as a car idiot. i remember my first car, didnt check oil, never changed oil filter, abused it, eventually had to sell it off for a measly $50 because of an oil leak i couldnt fix.

knowing what i know now, i may have a different daily drive as i can fix basic stuff.

GU357
15-09-2012, 09:14 PM
So true, i am still one of these noobs, but i just know this because i have come accross it before, and someone else helped me out. least i could do is the same thing.

hence why we have forums, great places to be.
when the trolls arent out.

2MPRS
15-09-2012, 10:46 PM
i am the biggest noob only way i learnt was buy a lemon and learnt the hard way

GU357
15-09-2012, 10:59 PM
i bought a b16 eg civic for 2,grand due to suspected blown headgasket (turns out rocker cover bolts were sealed)

and im learning everything on this car until i get a better example or maybe even keep it, its lasting pretty well. love B series Vtec