PDA

View Full Version : K20 starter motor problem

Killa From Manila
16-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Hey guys my car isnt starting

When i turn the key to start i hear the starter relay click and it sends voltage (only 11.5v) down the black/white wire to the starter motor but the starter motor doesnt spin, solenoid doesnt move, nada.

As i was testing i noticed there was continuity between the blk/wht wire to ground. tracked it down to the starter motor connection itself. Am i simply seeing continuity through the coil inside or is the solenoid wrecked?

ECU-MAN
17-09-2012, 09:21 PM
the other end of the coil is grounded. so if you measure its resistance it will have something there rather than a direct short. most meters will beep up to 100R

Killa From Manila
18-09-2012, 08:11 PM
when i tested for resistance i actually got readings around 1ohm which made me think there was a problem. afaik DC coils dont have impedance like AC coils when energised or am i wrong?

the car ended up starting the next day. i charged the battery over night, double checked and cleaned all ground, turned the key and got the no crank no startup problem again. tried turning the key 10 more times and it magically started and has been starting fine since. makes me wonder if i just persisted with turning the key it would have started up in the first place.

Benson
23-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Try to add another ground wire. I had a similar problem with another car and it required another ground cable after 1 year since its conversion. Weird problem