PDA

View Full Version : good car to learn manual?

dagher23q
17-09-2012, 02:01 PM
i love my hondas :)

i am getting my green p's in just over a month and im interested in learning manual, i want to learn on a honda because i plan to buy a dc5r when im comfortable driving. Which honda do you think will enjoyable to drive, easy to learn on, and also provide vtec?

thanks

curtis265
17-09-2012, 02:03 PM
DC2 VTi-R
BB6 VTi-R
EK4

Only problem is that you have to pay VTEC tax. Anything with vtec is worth it's weight in gold, so if you're just getting it for the sake of learning, i'd suggest getting some shitter, learn and sell it as a shitter. Shitters are attractive as runarounds and sell easily.

DreadAngel
17-09-2012, 02:05 PM
And you're virginity...

Provide VTEC?

Sticker with VTEC in it provides VTEC by the font size 72!

FenrirWC
17-09-2012, 02:27 PM

i am getting my green p's in just over a month and im interested in learning manual, i want to learn on a honda because i plan to buy a dc5r when im comfortable driving. Which honda do you think will enjoyable to drive, easy to learn on, and also provide vtec?

thanks

yeah if your only after a manual to learn in till you feel comfortable (which i assume is a short amount of time aka 1yr) id just buy a cheaper civic like an ek cxi/gli or some cheap run around so you can save more money for a decent car later.
I drove around in a 93 hyundai excel for 4 years while trying to save for a S2000 but someone crashed into it and wrote her off so i now have a s14 and im looking for a cheap civic as a daily drive. Im gonna own a S2k one day and ill be so so happy.

DC2 VTi-R
BB6 VTi-R
EK4

Only problem is that you have to pay VTEC tax. Anything with vtec is worth it's weight in gold, so if you're just getting it for the sake of learning, i'd suggest getting some shitter, learn and sell it as a shitter. Shitters are attractive as runarounds and sell easily.

^ listen to curtis ;)

connorling
17-09-2012, 03:21 PM
hatchback is the best learning car.
easy to park, easy to see where you are going and space.

EG would be the most cost effective option, they are cheap and parts are everywhere.

DakDak
17-09-2012, 04:00 PM

EG would be the most cost effective option, they are cheap and parts are everywhere.

I could fit my shitbox eg in ANY spot lol

But seriously op, you can learn manual on any car. 4 guidelines I believe will help you in selecting one is.

1. Doesnt have to be a Honda
2. Preferably a shitbox, I guarantee you will stuff the gb and clutch up a bit.
3. Have someone calm and collected tutoring you.

sensei_
17-09-2012, 04:38 PM
All the wise men have spoken in this thread. Any car is great to learn manual. Make sure the clutch is nice and light, you dont want to have a super stiff clutch whilst learning *imo*

EKVTIR-T
17-09-2012, 04:40 PM

Sorry but I dont agree EG are cheap,at least not when theyre sold by honda people

They are overpriced 20yo economy cars...

If you can find one from a regular joe blow then maybe you can get a cheap one

curtis265
17-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Sorry but I dont agree EG are cheap,at least not when theyre sold by honda people

They are overpriced 20yo economy cars...

If you can find one from a regular joe blow then maybe you can get a cheap one

they cheap

i bought mine for 3k from old lady

full dealership service history with recent timing belt change

130x km

Tai
17-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Get a DC5 Base model

EKVTIR-T
17-09-2012, 04:47 PM
they cheap

i bought mine for 3k from old lady

full dealership service history with recent timing belt change

130x km
If you compare to other brands for year made and cost its not cheap

You can get much later models in ford holden toyota for similar price

DTN
17-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Just learn in the dc5r, you'll get it down in no time. Don't see much point buying a shitbox then having to sell it etc etc. If not just get couple of lessons with an instructor beforehand.

curtis265
17-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Just learn in the dc5r, you'll get it down in no time. Don't see much point buying a shitbox then having to sell it etc etc. If not just get couple of lessons with an instructor beforehand.

agreed. Either get a car you can sell easily or launch straight in

JDM u never understand

EKVTIR-T
17-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Get a DC5 Base model
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/tbmindustrys2/2hcovwj.gif

Tai
17-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Neg your mum for having you.

Whats wrong with a Base model DC5, its perfect he will know the feel of the gear lever and location and the steering wheel feel.

Then he can get his DC5R and it will feel like a glove fitting onto a hand.

Come at me Bro !

Indie
17-09-2012, 05:48 PM
EG, because you can run it into the ground and then move on.

having said that, I don't think it's guaranteed that you'll **** your first manual transmission. Just start slow and take care, and you won't ruin the car.

HondaTurboVtec
17-09-2012, 05:48 PM

thanks

DC2 VTi-R
BB6 VTi-R
EK4

Make sure you can handle the power of any type of vtec :p:thumbsup:

curtis265
17-09-2012, 06:17 PM

bought and sold for same price

not complaining

butterfingers
17-09-2012, 06:23 PM
something with a lightweight flywheel and heavy duty clutch.

cant taste sweet until you've tasted bitter

so might as well start off with bitter.

CivicEGSI
17-09-2012, 08:55 PM
bUGATTI LOL

PHO
17-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I learnt manual in my mum's alfa 156 gta. It was so easy to learn! Its an automated clutch so you dont need to control the clutch. But its manual!

Get any old alfa with selespeed. Would be your best option to learn manual and get your manual license!

When you get used to controlling manual in the alfa, you can go buy a DC2, DC2R, DC5R, BB6 VTi-R, EK4 or any vtec honda, and focus on how to control the kick in of vtec!

JDM DC2R
17-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Its not hard to drive manual. Start with any car. And just take it slow. Might help if you no how a car works as well. Dont go from arcade games driving manual to a car. Learn the concept behind it!

Johnie
18-09-2012, 12:05 AM
I learnt manual in my old mans nissan exa, and bought myself a dc2 when i had the money,

chunky
18-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Its not hard to drive manual. Start with any car. And just take it slow. Might help if you no how a car works as well. Dont go from arcade games driving manual to a car. Learn the concept behind it!

+1 agree

GU357
18-09-2012, 02:12 AM
i learnt in the instructor car, which was a getz, they are the most painful to drive car, never been in any other car with such a lack of clutch feel. funnily my brother bought one as a shit box (ran it into the ground, pulled it out and did it again) so i learnt in his aswell.

EG would be good but a 20yr old car (unless its a good deal) is gonna have all sorts of stuff wrong, as i found with my 2000$ EG. not really a great starting point, you want something that is somewhat modern.
like a lotus with a K series?

pure_na
18-09-2012, 02:37 AM
probs going to get flamed by this, but something with a heavy clutch that is not in perfect condition. you will learn exactly how a manual works and all the sh*t that goes on.

i'll support this by saying that i had two friends who both stalled my first dc2r when they tried to drive it. both had driven manuals, one owned a manual. if you want to learn how to drive manual properly, then learning in a car with a featherlight clutch that will allow you to take off at idle rpm is not going to help. learn in something hard, so when you get a car worth driving, it comes naturally and easy to you, rather than the other way around.

i learnt in a car with no powersteering, a nice hard clutch and an indicator that you had to hold to keep on, which made things interesting :P. my next car (the dc2r) had gearbox and clutch issues, which taught me even more about driving a manual properly (which i needed to know to drive this car in particular at all :) )

you don't want something easy while your learning, that's my stance, and that's how i learnt :).

GU357
18-09-2012, 03:14 AM
probs going to get flamed by this, but something with a heavy clutch that is not in perfect condition. you will learn exactly how a manual works and all the sh*t that goes on.

i'll support this by saying that i had two friends who both stalled my first dc2r when they tried to drive it. both had driven manuals, one owned a manual. if you want to learn how to drive manual properly, then learning in a car with a featherlight clutch that will allow you to take off at idle rpm is not going to help. learn in something hard, so when you get a car worth driving, it comes naturally and easy to you, rather than the other way around.

i learnt in a car with no powersteering, a nice hard clutch and an indicator that you had to hold to keep on, which made things interesting :P. my next car (the dc2r) had gearbox and clutch issues, which taught me even more about driving a manual properly (which i needed to know to drive this car in particular at all :) )

you don't want something easy while your learning, that's my stance, and that's how i learnt :).

I would back that up, but imo a a hard clutch is easier then a light as F*ck clutch, to me feels more natural and better feedback...
best just to get used to both before getting the license. OR who give a F**** just go get your P's and drive whatever you want! you will learn, either the hard or the easy way, doesnt matter same result.
so dont worry about how you do it or how these ppl say to do it.

dagher23q
18-09-2012, 10:37 AM

i agree, thanks alot for you point of view, i never really thought of it that way

aurnob88
22-09-2012, 10:08 PM
SOHC EG civic or Integra GSI

PHO
23-09-2012, 10:09 AM
But gsi's go for 13k mate. Bit expensive.

aurnob88
23-09-2012, 10:34 AM
? More like 4k

PHO
23-09-2012, 11:10 AM
you got NO idea mate. GSis go for 13k+

aurnob88
23-09-2012, 11:34 AM
What country you from mate

curtis265
23-09-2012, 11:41 AM

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/72188/1655235-you_must_be_new_here_super.jpg

PHO
23-09-2012, 11:42 AM

http://www.easymemes.com/uploads/memes/21052_SN9WAiczYKqKk1N.jpg

ceekay101
23-09-2012, 12:35 PM
just buy the car you want, try to look after it. If you buy a nugget car for a few k and sell it for nothing, you lose money either way. Just learn at your own pace, worst case senario you burn the clutch i guess. Then just replace with a heavy duty, less of a headache than buying a cheap car, reselling it and buying a integra after. If youve got previous driving experience you should have a decent idea about getting around. So adding the addition of a clutch and gears isnt too much to take in.

aurnob88
23-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah I was asking cause this guys going on about 13k gsi's. Wtf

PHO
23-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah I was asking cause this guys going on about 13k gsi's. Wtf

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/72188/1655235-you_must_be_new_here_super.jpg

aurnob88
23-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Fkn trolls

mocchi
23-09-2012, 01:16 PM
pm charliebrown if you wanna sell your gsi for 13k.

PHO
23-09-2012, 01:19 PM
+1 for charliebrown

Indie
23-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Yeah I was asking cause this guys going on about 13k gsi's. WtfI paid 10k for my GSi, and I expect I'll be able to get at least 13k for it.

aurnob88
23-09-2012, 02:53 PM
I paid 10k for my GSi, and I expect I'll be able to get at least 13k for it.

Good luck Dave man

DreadAngel
23-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Just get a car with manual, learn to drive it smoothly, don't go OMFG, I can't do double clutch/heel toe and all that stuff. Concentrate on driving smooth like its an Automatic fast & slow [slow is harder than fast as you have more chances of stuffing up a change then stalling etc] then move on to the other techniques. Honestly don't worry about being hecktic/FnF flat shifting and what not, any monkey can do that, it's those that can shift so perfectly like an automatic ie no feeling of the G changing thats good =)

All manuals have their own feel and way of driving them smoothly, even cars that are same model will have different feel purely because of condition, parts used, changes etc.

aurnob88
23-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the neg Indie

DA9-47
04-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Da9 integra every time
Can still be picked up good condition and
CHEAP

I picked one up for 600 in great condition
+RW 140 + REG 700
1500ish on the road
Great little car to learn in
5 speed Manual
Sunroof
A/C
Easy to park
Big boot for a small car
Great car to learn to mod

Although it's a 5 seater
It will seat 2 grown men up front
and 3 midgets in the the back
In other words it's a 2 seater lol

Good luck

GucciSir
04-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Put it this way, i learnt in my DC5R which has a Excedy Heavy duty Clutch and lightened FlyWheel. It scared the shit out of my becasue i didnt want to blow something up ... but after 4 drives i picked it up and never regretted it since :)

mysterious_7
05-12-2013, 12:26 AM
If you're only looking for a car to learn on, then any small cheap Japanese car will do. I learnt on a 1999 Kia in 2003 when I was 14yo overseas ..It had the most comfortable clutch point of any manual car I've ever driven till today, it only had about 30,000km back then.

Now I just drive a 5 speed manual 2005 7th Gen Civic GLi sedan as my daily, does the job and good on petrol and it's alright fun for the occasional thrash when I am driving home late from work at 11pm every night. Nothing too crazy.. saving up for the beemer ;)

CivicEGSI
06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Hahaha fuark grave digger alert