PDA

View Full Version : DA9 Head Conversion Help?????

Mystic_Integra
13-03-2005, 08:23 PM
hey i was wonderin if any DA9 owners have had there B18a motor replaced there heads with either a b16a/b18c/b17 head???

i also got told/read that this was a Vtec conversion aswell???is this true???

crispy
13-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Yes. The combination of a B18a/b block and a b16a/b18c/b17 head is a vtec conversion. its most commonly known as a LS/VTEC. There are many combinations of ls/vtec or cr/vtec. You will find that they can be quite unreliable, and it does become expensive. I would personally recomend that you source a b16, b17 or b18c motor and do a conversion rather than ls/vtec because it will last you longer. There are a few websites which have gone over the process many a time so check them out... a couple of them are www.g2ic.com (has a very good engine conversion guide in teg tips), www.honda-tech.com and www.team-integra.net. Just search and look into it.. hope this helped

Mystic_Integra
13-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Yes. The combination of a B18a/b block and a b16a/b18c/b17 head is a vtec conversion. its most commonly known as a LS/VTEC. There are many combinations of ls/vtec or cr/vtec. You will find that they can be quite unreliable, and it does become expensive. I would personally recomend that you source a b16, b17 or b18c motor and do a conversion rather than ls/vtec because it will last you longer. There are a few websites which have gone over the process many a time so check them out... a couple of them are www.g2ic.com (http://www.g2ic.com/) (has a very good engine conversion guide in teg tips), www.honda-tech.com (http://www.honda-tech.com/) and www.team-integra.net (http://www.team-integra.net/). Just search and look into it.. hope this helped

so u reckon a new engine for my ls???? how much would that set me back tho??? i read some DA9 got a b18a/b block with a b16a head conversion, for around $2000??? or something like that??? but how much would an a b16, b17 or b18c motor cost me???and wat will happen if i drop 1 of these motors in my car?? will i need new trans?? or wat??

wat u running by the way???

crispy
13-03-2005, 10:27 PM
well i think a new engine would be the smartest way to go because seeing as your car is 14 years old, the engine is pretty worn out and if you start altering the way it is you can develop problems. ive considered an ls/vtec conversion myself and ive done so much research on the topic that it scares me. and from all this research ive found that ls/vtec can be unreliable especially with a $2k package. So ive opted for an engine swap. The price all depends on what you want and what you need. a b16 will probably start around $1500, and a b18c will probably start around $2000, but this all depends on factors like mileage, condition, type of motor.
All b-series motors will fit straight into your car but you will have to use your old engine mounts and do a little bit of modification to hoses etc. You will also most likely need to use a cable tranny/clutch due to the way they mount in your car, you can get a hydro tranny/clutch but then you will need to find/fabricate gearbox mounts so that the engine can fit and this can get expensive. You will also find that the obd will need to be compatible with your car (i think yours is obd-0, someone correct me on this), otherwise a lot of wiring will need to be done but it is achieveable.
And im currently running a stock b18a1... im still in school and i dont have the money to do the swap yet, and i dont have my license yet... ill make a decision once i start driving as to keep what ive got and work it, or get a b18c swap or just upgrade to a type r in a year or 2. ive had my car for about a year and a half and even tho i have been on my L's i still drive my car hard and ive found that it is quite fast, but it does lack in acceleration and a b18c would be a very good candidate for a swap. I know a couple of people with vtec hondas and a b16a crx sir is equal to an integra vtir with b18c2, and seeing as our LS's are lighter than the dc2's the b18c motor will provide the needed torque to pull our cars and have the speed to equal or beat most other vtec's. hope this helps you out!

Mystic_Integra
14-03-2005, 03:33 AM
well i think a new engine would be the smartest way to go because seeing as your car is 14 years old, the engine is pretty worn out and if you start altering the way it is you can develop problems. ive considered an ls/vtec conversion myself and ive done so much research on the topic that it scares me. and from all this research ive found that ls/vtec can be unreliable especially with a $2k package. So ive opted for an engine swap. The price all depends on what you want and what you need. a b16 will probably start around $1500, and a b18c will probably start around $2000, but this all depends on factors like mileage, condition, type of motor.
All b-series motors will fit straight into your car but you will have to use your old engine mounts and do a little bit of modification to hoses etc. You will also most likely need to use a cable tranny/clutch due to the way they mount in your car, you can get a hydro tranny/clutch but then you will need to find/fabricate gearbox mounts so that the engine can fit and this can get expensive. You will also find that the obd will need to be compatible with your car (i think yours is obd-0, someone correct me on this), otherwise a lot of wiring will need to be done but it is achieveable.
And im currently running a stock b18a1... im still in school and i dont have the money to do the swap yet, and i dont have my license yet... ill make a decision once i start driving as to keep what ive got and work it, or get a b18c swap or just upgrade to a type r in a year or 2. ive had my car for about a year and a half and even tho i have been on my L's i still drive my car hard and ive found that it is quite fast, but it does lack in acceleration and a b18c would be a very good candidate for a swap. I know a couple of people with vtec hondas and a b16a crx sir is equal to an integra vtir with b18c2, and seeing as our LS's are lighter than the dc2's the b18c motor will provide the needed torque to pull our cars and have the speed to equal or beat most other vtec's. hope this helps you out!

yeah, maybe an engine swap, mite be the best option? how many K's has your LS done???:confused: , mines only done 134k's;) , so i thought i would just upgrade my head:D ?? but i wasnt sure.
but i just lowered my ls, and now think of doing some engine mods like a cold-air intake system and gettin Extractors and gettin my head convers. - (of course these would be individual purchases though-out the yr.)-would be expensive;
i'm think of gettin the cold-air system first;) , then extractors:D but these purchases arent that expensive, well i not 4 me.....

but now that i know a little more bout replacin my head, i'm snot that sure of doin these modifications to my car; because i could get a engine swap or should i just continue with my NA upgrades.....:confused:
these upgrades wont be able to be able to placed onto my engine swap will they? like extractors/cold-air intake etc...on a B18a placed onto a B18c???will these fit????:confused:

wat do u think?:confused: -oh yeah, thanks on ya advice on head convers.

Boost Cruisin
14-03-2005, 08:14 PM
so from what ive read in this thread to put a b18c in my DA i only need the B18C vtec engine plus loom, ecu and engine mounts... then i use the current gearbox and clutch?

crispy
14-03-2005, 08:59 PM
well.. there is most likely a little more to it than that but check out www.g2ic.com and then go to "teg tips" and view the engine swap guide... very helpful guide which gives you a fair idea of what is achievable

mooshie
15-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Boost Cruisin- the engine mounts only require minor modification to fit up but you are pretty much right. but i would suggest a closer ratio b16 cable tranny, won't cost you that much more (considering what you are already spending) and is a lot better for VTEC otherwise you may find yourself 'falling off the high lobes' on the upshift. as crispy said though, check out g2ic there is a huge wealth of info on there for this kind of swap.