PDA

View Full Version : NSW Modded and Engine Swapped Car From QLD to NSW

aurnob88
23-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Ok guys. I'm contemplating purchasing a modded EG hatchback from QLD and bringing it to Sydney.

So the car has a 2ltr, is stripped at the back and is a 2 seater.

Its currently regod, mod plated and engineering in QLD.

What shit will I run into in NSW trying to rego it.

eren
23-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Most likely need to take it to a engineer in nsw - has to have a certificate i think theres a list on the rta providing who do em cant find link sorry

ceekay101
23-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Speak to rta/ a mechanic who does blue slips on modified vehicles. I Called the rta once inquiring how i go about registering my jap import which was complied yonks ago but is without a compliance plate, they told me it couldnt be registered. Yet here i am today with it legally registered...

aurnob88
23-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Yeah the biggest problem is every motherfkn mechanic is different.
Any recommended ones in Sydney western or south west

Wru
23-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I went through the same thing myself with my last car, it's not worth the effort unless it's an exceptionally good car. Stick to buying modified cars within the state save yourself a lot of time and money.

aurnob88
23-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I went through the same thing myself with my last car, it's not worth the effort unless it's an exceptionally good car. Stick to buying modified cars within the state save yourself a lot of time and money.

Can you tell me what you went through.

The car is at a good price, has a good motor, clean as, good features and parts, and Honda's in NSW are grossly overpriced as they are.

grifty
24-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Go talk to a blueslip mechanic that deals a lot with engineered cars

aurnob88
24-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Go talk to a blueslip mechanic that deals a lot with engineered cars

Yeah already heard enough word its BS cause engineers are mostly strict and NSW is a shit state in terms of engineering cars.

aurnob88
24-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Anyone on these forums know any "nice" blueslip engineers.

ceekay101
25-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Archers in Granville are alright. They blue slipped my ef8 that I had engineered

Stevil
25-09-2012, 07:34 AM
aurnob88 send me a pm with your mobile no, my mech may be able to help ya, located at homebush !!

Wru
25-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Your inbox is full.

Henessaayyy
26-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Dude rules have changed a million times over. I don't know if its safe to assume, but seeing as its mod plated and engineered in QLD, I wouldn't see the harm in it being registered in NSW without a fail. Blue slip mechanics won't be able to tell you shit. You need to talk to someone listed on the VSCCS. I've recently gone through it all, yes it's a major pain in the ass, but the engineers are now DIRECTLY liable if something is to go wrong. They can lose their license, pay a $20,000 fine and if that isn't payable, they're up for losing whatever they own!

As for the RTA, I think your pet Goldfish will be able to give you more information. I've called the RTA on 15 separate occasions and received 20 different answers! Go figure!

If you MUST get the car re-engineered in NSW it will cost you a bundle, especially engineered as a 2 seater and stripped. If its a K-Series and doesn't have OEM Mounts, then forget it!

I went through Chris, from Dinos Auto Electrical in Miranda, his number is 0419 320 272
Just say you got his number from the VSCCS list, he might be a bit of a dick, he's new to the whole engineering scene, so bare with him! Hopefully he gives you the good news and says, if it's already engineered in QLD, then its fine here! So best of luck!

Hope I've helped! Keep us posted, might be a loop hole ;)

eLtrix
27-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Dude rules have changed a million times over. I don't know if its safe to assume, but seeing as its mod plated and engineered in QLD, I wouldn't see the harm in it being registered in NSW without a fail. Blue slip mechanics won't be able to tell you shit. You need to talk to someone listed on the VSCCS. I've recently gone through it all, yes it's a major pain in the ass, but the engineers are now DIRECTLY liable if something is to go wrong. They can lose their license, pay a $20,000 fine and if that isn't payable, they're up for losing whatever they own!

As for the RTA, I think your pet Goldfish will be able to give you more information. I've called the RTA on 15 separate occasions and received 20 different answers! Go figure!

If you MUST get the car re-engineered in NSW it will cost you a bundle, especially engineered as a 2 seater and stripped. If its a K-Series and doesn't have OEM Mounts, then forget it!

I went through Chris, from Dinos Auto Electrical in Miranda, his number is 0419 320 272
Just say you got his number from the VSCCS list, he might be a bit of a dick, he's new to the whole engineering scene, so bare with him! Hopefully he gives you the good news and says, if it's already engineered in QLD, then its fine here! So best of luck!

Hope I've helped! Keep us posted, might be a loop hole ;)

**Sorry for hijack of thread, relevant sort of question.... didnt want to make another thread

Im considering buying a kswaped integra. The motor is registered to the car already, but if its not using oem mounts but hasports. You saying i will have no chance to get engineering?

aurnob88
27-09-2012, 10:47 AM
You will but cost you a shit tonne

eLtrix
27-09-2012, 12:10 PM
^ Why a shit tonne? What are the costs involved?

aurnob88
27-09-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't know as people are saying rules constantly change. Also cause theojnts are changed extra engineering cost to ensure safety, extra money for RTA etc

Henessaayyy
27-09-2012, 11:13 PM
If you can get a Test Sheet from Hasport saying their mounts are engineered and they have been tested and the safety standards of those mounts meet Australian Standards, then yes, it's fine. But I doubt you'll ever get that, so no. Own that car and drive it as much as you like, but as soon as you get pulled over and defected, you're screwed. Why do you think K Swap cars are selling so cheap now? ;)

qstoria
28-09-2012, 02:40 PM
If you can get a Test Sheet from Hasport saying their mounts are engineered and they have been tested and the safety standards of those mounts meet Australian Standards, then yes, it's fine. But I doubt you'll ever get that, so no. Own that car and drive it as much as you like, but as soon as you get pulled over and defected, you're screwed. Why do you think K Swap cars are selling so cheap now? ;)

Can I ask where the perception that a car which is already engineered and registered with a swapped motor would require its mounts to be changed because they are not OEM? The engineers certificate has a section on the quality/condition/installation etc of the engine mounts used which met the rules and standards at the time the work was completed.

If a car with a K/B/H swap that has been engineered and registered with the RTA previously then there are no issues. RTA cannot and does not apply any new ADR related rules to vehicles that have been approved, engineered and registered with legacy rules. If a police officer pulls you over and attempts to defect you then all you need to do is produce your engineers certificate stating that the modifications are legal.

For example: Buy a car with an engine swap that is registered and engineered already in a particular state then you will only need a new road worthy certificate and the usual paperwork of ownership, Blueslip and Greenslip. You will not have to get a new engineers certificate.

Second example, Begin an engine swap in which displacement increases by the amount in which an engineers certificate is required (15% or so) and you will have to follow whatever the current rules are. If the rule relating to engine mounts now states that they must be OEM then fine, that rule applies for this instance and all instances going forward until the rule changes again.

Myself and plenty of other people who have completed K-swaps using Hasport mounts or which ever other aftermarket part had no issues in getting the engineers report and registration. If rules have changed in regards to engine mounts now then that applies to people who are currently trying to engineer and then register an engine swapped vehicle.

aurnob88
28-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Can I ask where the perception that a car which is already engineered and registered with a swapped motor would require its mounts to be changed because they are not OEM? The engineers certificate has a section on the quality/condition/installation etc of the engine mounts used which met the rules and standards at the time the work was completed.

If a car with a K/B/H swap that has been engineered and registered with the RTA previously then there are no issues. RTA cannot and does not apply any new ADR related rules to vehicles that have been approved, engineered and registered with legacy rules. If a police officer pulls you over and attempts to defect you then all you need to do is produce your engineers certificate stating that the modifications are legal.

For example: Buy a car with an engine swap that is registered and engineered already in a particular state then you will only need a new road worthy certificate and the usual paperwork of ownership, Blueslip and Greenslip. You will not have to get a new engineers certificate.

Second example, Begin an engine swap in which displacement increases by the amount in which an engineers certificate is required (15% or so) and you will have to follow whatever the current rules are. If the rule relating to engine mounts now states that they must be OEM then fine, that rule applies for this instance and all instances going forward until the rule changes again.

Myself and plenty of other people who have completed K-swaps using Hasport mounts or which ever other aftermarket part had no issues in getting the engineers report and registration. If rules have changed in regards to engine mounts now then that applies to people who are currently trying to engineer and then register an engine swapped vehicle.

The impression is that it varies engineer to engineer and RTA to RTA.

ceekay101
28-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Plastidip the mounts black, engineer them and them peel off.. not sure if it would work but if looks more stealth they are less lIkely to notice it. Not sure if a good idea, it's too hot my brains fried.

Stevil
28-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Alot of myths about getting modded cars ' engineered ' . Well I went thru the whole process with a Riverwood based engineer years ago when I put a complete Fibrglass body on a 4WD (big job). Most things are actually fairly straight forward and the engineer was very helpful overall. I still got pulled up on a bunch of things !! Seat mounts, seat belt anchor points, body mounts, Fuel tank supports, roll cage, wiring etc....lol

Anyway most of the parts I knocked up myself and as long as the engineer thought they were of great strength than oem parts he was happy to give my short wheel base landcruiser the thumbs up. Cost me $600a bit over a decade ago. I drove round with a 3 page mod report from the engineer in my glove box, never got asked to produce it once.

http://madmick3006.com/ahngallery/upload/files/2012-09/c019aedb.jpg

aurnob88
28-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Alot of myths about getting modded cars ' engineered ' . Well I went thru the whole process with a Riverwood based engineer years ago when I put a complete Fibrglass body on a 4WD (big job). Most things are actually fairly straight forward and the engineer was very helpful overall. I still got pulled up on a bunch of things !! Seat mounts, seat belt anchor points, body mounts, Fuel tank supports, roll cage, wiring etc....lol

Anyway most of the parts I knocked up myself and as long as the engineer thought they were of great strength than oem parts he was happy to give my short wheel base landcruiser the thumbs up. Cost me $600a bit over a decade ago. I drove round with a 3 page mod report from the engineer in my glove box, never got asked to produce it once.

http://madmick3006.com/ahngallery/upload/files/2012-09/c019aedb.jpg

Supposedly its changed this year. Not regarding body mods but engine conversion to higher power or capacity.

Henessaayyy
29-09-2012, 09:52 AM

I stated in one of my first posts that if the car is engineered in QLD it SHOULDN'T have a problem getting registered here. But thats one thing Im not 100% sure about. I haven't done it this way so don't quote me on it. There's always a possibility that you'll come across someone who'll question the certificate or whatever.

You may have got your K Swap engineered before new laws set in. As for people who already had their cars engineered, there have been unlawful engineers who were declined a VSCCS License and some of their customers were called back in for inspections, or so I was told.

I was giving the OP a slice of information which could be helpful, my circumstance would be the absolute worst for him, if he was to buy that car from QLD. As we've discussed, it's engineered in QLD, but whos to say RMS won't ask for the car to be inspected by a NSW Engineer? You don't know what the idiots could come up with next, so I was simply giving the OP a heads up. Better safe than sorry. And it also comes back to the fact of not being able to register repairable write-offs in NSW, as an example.

And qstoria, as for OEM engine mounts, Im referring to what my engineer has told me, if the product meets requirements of the Australian Standards, then it's all gravy. No questions can be asked, but again, Im not certain that Hasport mounts meet A/S requirements, it was only a statement, again, to prepare for the worst.

aurnob88
29-09-2012, 10:17 AM
I stated in one of my first posts that if the car is engineered in QLD it SHOULDN'T have a problem getting registered here. But thats one thing Im not 100% sure about. I haven't done it this way so don't quote me on it. There's always a possibility that you'll come across someone who'll question the certificate or whatever.

You may have got your K Swap engineered before new laws set in. As for people who already had their cars engineered, there have been unlawful engineers who were declined a VSCCS License and some of their customers were called back in for inspections, or so I was told.

I was giving the OP a slice of information which could be helpful, my circumstance would be the absolute worst for him, if he was to buy that car from QLD. As we've discussed, it's engineered in QLD, but whos to say RMS won't ask for the car to be inspected by a NSW Engineer? You don't know what the idiots could come up with next, so I was simply giving the OP a heads up. Better safe than sorry. And it also comes back to the fact of not being able to register repairable write-offs in NSW, as an example.

And qstoria, as for OEM engine mounts, Im referring to what my engineer has told me, if the product meets requirements of the Australian Standards, then it's all gravy. No questions can be asked, but again, Im not certain that Hasport mounts meet A/S requirements, it was only a statement, again, to prepare for the worst.

Fair enough mate. It seems that people have been passing with k swaps, but let's see if anyone who's done a k swap as of recently can chime in !