what do i need for a engine rebuild?

the engine is a d16a8

list of gaskets, seals?
where can i get a port and polish done?
i want to turbo it so what should i do?

thanks

bennjamin
14-03-2005, 11:45 AM
i really think , since u dont know what you need- that you lack the knowledge to successfully rebuild / refresh your engine.

I do suggest , that you get a professional to rebuild it - such as Hannys preformance or Good performance centre.

Paying alittle more initially, saves $$$ in the long run :)

heist
14-03-2005, 11:53 AM
i have an idea what i need....

the engine is a spare engine which i wont need for a while so i think it will be a good learning process for me....do u see what i mean?

bennjamin
14-03-2005, 12:09 PM
yes thats all good - but there is more to rebuilding an engine- than just replacing a few seals. You have to measure clearance distances , wall thickness , piston bore etc etc etc. Which is knowledge thru eperience really.
I had a spare d16a8 too which i stripped down and cleaned up - learned quite abit but essentially never got around to rebuilding it myself due to lack of tools and knowledge for a proper rebuild !

I wish u luck tho - it is fun taking apart the engine + lookign at how it all works .

CTR Coupe
14-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Dude as Ben said if you’re asking the question you shouldn’t be doing it. There’s a 70% chance once you put it together it will go boom. You’re going to need a toque wrench and a list of toque specs for the engine.

It’s a nice idea to learn about your engine by pulling it apart but in reality it’s not a good idea the chances that u will make a mistake are high.

if it was a 1970s v8 it wouldn’t be so bad u could make small errors and it would be a bit more forgiving but with newer fuel injected the tolerances are so small that if your off by a couple of mm its scrap heap engine time.

Edit: have a look at Weq's horror story and he was only installing a camshaft.

heist
14-03-2005, 12:43 PM
well i wanna replace the head gasket at least...im sure thats not hard....

wynode
14-03-2005, 03:17 PM
headgasket isn't too hard.........but to rebuild the internals of an engine you will also needs special tools.

This is where DIYing would stop I'd say :)

mojo the flashy monkey
14-03-2005, 03:34 PM
lol i got bens engin mmmm good prefirmance center just finished rubuilding it for me and ther pooting it in my 88 civic so exiting but did set me back just under $3500 lol mmm money i dont have yay for parents

Snoop_gee
14-03-2005, 05:43 PM
i need ma d16a8 rebuilt is there a place in melb?

bennjamin
14-03-2005, 07:46 PM
lol i got bens engin mmmm good prefirmance center just finished rubuilding it for me and ther pooting it in my 88 civic so exiting but did set me back just under $3500 lol mmm money i dont have yay for parents

...engrish jeff ? lol...

mojo the flashy monkey
14-03-2005, 10:01 PM
lol sif german all the way :P jks

bennjamin
14-03-2005, 10:06 PM
lol sif german all the way :P jks

sif....du bist eien plaupermaul tee hee - err meine lieblings spiele om das wochenede ist der OZHONDA :)

ok my german is alittle rusty.

*back on topic*