PDA

View Full Version : Is Injen CAI possible to lose power on D16Y8?

samyip
25-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi guys, I took my car to my friend's work place for a service and his boss and some of the guys there told me to remove the CAI and put in a short ram. He said the shorter the pipe the better, is this true? :|

Regard!

HondaTurboVtec
25-09-2012, 12:19 PM
The short ram intake can lose power due to getting hot air from the engine bay. Injen cai pick up better air due to it being located away from the engine bay...

curtis265
25-09-2012, 12:29 PM
shorter is better for response

long pipes have a lot of resistance

try drinking through a straw as fast as you can

then cut the straw in half and suck again

that's the difference.

Difference being air temp which plays a big factor.

Ideally you want a cowl air intake

samyip
25-09-2012, 01:28 PM
thank guys, that's what I thought too. The more cold air the better :)

kcokla
25-09-2012, 08:16 PM
thank guys, that's what I thought too. The more cold air the better :)

I wouldn't put it so straight forward, it comes down to a few things too and what kind of power you are looking for.

bennjamin
25-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Hi guys, I took my car to my friend's work place for a service and his boss and some of the guys there told me to remove the CAI and put in a short ram. He said the shorter the pipe the better, is this true? :|

Regard!

These intakes will not "make power" - they will change the power band slightly. I wouldnt listen to your bosses friends.

samyip
25-09-2012, 09:09 PM
thanks for all the infos guys :)

dougie_504
25-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Well yes but it's a compromise. ITB's will make bigger power than a CAI despite breathing hot air if not fed cool air.

Short ram with enclosing box and air feed on bumper :)

ceekay101
26-09-2012, 07:24 AM
I think pod filters/cold air intakes are more power at the eye and earwells opposed to kW at the wheels. In saying that I do have an injen also lol.

bennjamin
26-09-2012, 07:57 AM
I think pod filters/cold air intakes are more power at the eye and earwells opposed to kW at the wheels. In saying that I do have an injen also lol.

You are totally right. It's the "butt dyno" that "feels" faster because there is more audible excitement.

Not to stir the pot , but I've experience before and after down the 1/4 mile in a type r motor'ed eg - injen, OEM ITR and icebox - all netted the same ET and MPH

HondaTurboVtec
26-09-2012, 11:03 AM
thanks for all the infos guys :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

aurnob88
26-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Yeah pretty much more induction and motor noise, especially on VTEC.
And more throttle responsiveness
What I found with short rams is when u start up and the engine bay is cold , its pretty good, but as engine warms up hotter air goes in and throttle response goes down

dougie_504
27-09-2012, 12:53 PM
This is why I suggest people where ear muffs after modding their car lol. Take the noise out of the equation and see if you actually feel any power gain.