PDA

View Full Version : 97 ek1. Wanting to put on 99-00 front bumper. Possible? plz help

ek Silva
26-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Hey everyone. This is my first thread so sorry if this is a noob question

I currently have a 97 cxi ek1 with an ek4 conversion. (Interior, breaks, suspension, b16a2)
I really dont like the bumper mouldings on the front and back.
I like the clean look of the 99-00 bumpers so I was wondering if it is possible to put the front and back bumper onto my 97?
Also after this im wanting to put on a ek9 front grill. Is that compatible with my chassis?

97 Moulding front bumper:
http://imgur.com/o79GE.jpg

99-00 front bumper:http://passwordjdm.com/images/Products/JDM%20EK%20'99-'00%20Civic%20Front%20Bumper%20Large.jpg

ctx
26-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Not possible. The facelift has completely different front bumper, fenders, bonnet/hood, grill and headlights. You could just get a preface bumper without mouldings - it looks the same but without the mouldings. Otherwise if you want the facelift front bumper, you'd have to do an entire front end conversion.

As for the rear bumper, it goes straight on no problems. (I stand to be corrected)

You can get an EK9 grill for your 97. Basically, front facelift parts won't work with preface, and vice versa.

Riced_Civic
26-09-2012, 07:36 PM
y not just get a pre face lift with no mouldings.

but if u really want to go face lift u need bonnet, fenders and lights as well

dorikin
26-09-2012, 07:54 PM
unpossible

drifter
26-09-2012, 08:55 PM
y not just get a pre face lift with no mouldings.

but if u really want to go face lift u need bonnet, fenders and lights as well

His Right, Also The Rear Is interchangeable so Yes to the Rear :D But in the End it Really Depends on how much you want to spend. Cheaper option i will go for this guy.

hilarryous
26-09-2012, 09:19 PM
EJ8 bumpers don't have moulds, and they fit onto the ek. unless you want to spend 1k+ for a front end conversion...

ek Silva
26-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Ahh so *facelift* is 99-00 and it is completely different too *pre-facelift* 96-98.
Yeah I might just go with the Ej8 front and back bumper.
I actually previously owned an Ej8.
I liked the clean look on the front bumper of that alot compared to my current ek.

Now to find an Ej8 bumper
My old Ej8

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg822/scaled.php?server=822&filename=img0959pt.jpg&res=landing

ek Silva
26-09-2012, 10:26 PM
I was mabe thinking this guys. $1400 is abit but its straight off a Ek9 Type r

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-CIVIC-EK9-TYPE-R-2000-Face-lift-spec-front-Pannel-conversion-EK1-EK4-/320973276008?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4abb7f8368#ht_860wt_1163

Frosty-Civic
27-09-2012, 02:23 AM
you can still find oem facelift parts cheaper then that.

Frosty-Civic
27-09-2012, 02:27 AM
you can still source oem facelift parts cheaper then that price

ctx
27-09-2012, 05:33 PM
I was mabe thinking this guys. $1400 is abit but its straight off a Ek9 Type r

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-CIVIC-EK9-TYPE-R-2000-Face-lift-spec-front-Pannel-conversion-EK1-EK4-/320973276008?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4abb7f8368#ht_860wt_1163

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the only difference between an EK9 front end and a normal facelift car, the mesh grill and those smoked chrome headlights? The lip and red H emblem on the bonnet too, but yeah. New EK9 headlights themselves go for nearly the same as that entire front end.

Frosty-Civic is right, you can just find any run-of-the-mill facelift EK1 (99-00) and take the fenders, bonnet, grill and headlights and adept them onto your car for cheaper. I think it will take a bit of work to bolt and clip on (You *may* need to drill holes to line them up with bolting points) but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. It would be even cheaper if you could source a Civic in the same colour as yours if you do the conversion to save yourself painting. But if you stick with the preface, then an EJ8 bumper like the one you posted is the way.

About the EK9 grill for a 97, you'd need to make sure when you buy one that you buy a preface EK9 grill, not facelift.

ek Silva
27-09-2012, 09:44 PM
I think that I will be going with the facelift 99-00 conversion now :D.
That type r front conversion does seem fairly priced since they're all genuine ek9 parts. (mmmm ek9 headlights :P)

Like u were saying ctx, do holes and crap need to be drilled to fit on the facelift parts?
I would wanna do it myself to save money but I dont have much experience with this sort of stuff since this is my second car. (red plates xD)

ctx
27-09-2012, 11:02 PM
I honestly don't know, don't take my word for it. I vaguely remember you had to do something to the bolting points so that the bumper and fenders would line up properly. I read up a few conversion guides on Honda Tech - the boys over there should be able to help you out.

But if you want to save money, I guess you could visit your local wreckers or scour auction sites for written off Civics and see what parts you can get. It'd be cheaper to find a car the same colour as yours (black?) but that's easier said than done. But it's up to you, if you like knowing that you have genuine EK9 parts, then go ahead, do what you feel is best.

ek Silva
27-09-2012, 11:34 PM
I honestly don't know, don't take my word for it. I vaguely remember you had to do something to the bolting points so that the bumper and fenders would line up properly. I read up a few conversion guides on Honda Tech - the boys over there should be able to help you out.

But if you want to save money, I guess you could visit your local wreckers or scour auction sites for written off Civics and see what parts you can get. It'd be cheaper to find a car the same colour as yours (black?) but that's easier said than done. But it's up to you, if you like knowing that you have genuine EK9 parts, then go ahead, do what you feel is best.

Thanks for the input :D.
Yeah ill head over to honda tech and see what their opinion is on the matter.
Ill start looking around and check out some local wreckers for 99-00 parts. Would probably save quite abit doing that and then putting on a ek9 grill

mattsrea
30-09-2012, 08:54 PM
yeah like frosty-civic said you can find oem parts cheap if your patient. I got all of my facelift parts for a reasonable price. My geniune ek9 front bar with geniune foggies set me back $330, geniune guards were $80 (got them repaired), geniune em1 grill were $90 (at hondwreck) and bonnet was $90 (replica, still sourcing a geniune one). Then if you go private spray painters the cheapest for a front end is $850 if not, diy that shit and learn :) And as for the mods, i did not do any mods besides cutting (not all the way, about half way) of the front bar tab slightly so it slides into the radiator support. You cant see the cut because the grill covers it =D

but yeah since your in syd there shouldnt be a problem sourcing parts man you got honbits, hontoys and a few other honda wreckers within lansvale/smithfield lol.

Tamagochi
30-09-2012, 10:32 PM
You can pull it off with Replica bonnet and Fenders they fit well but must be all OEM or ALL Replica due to the different alignments. I had this issue with my Ek front conversion having All OEM except one fender which is loped sided. Also Instead of an EK9 bumper you can Pull it off with EM1 front bumper which is same as EK9 but different code.

mattsrea
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Yehh thats true. I managed to find my bumper off ebay (turned out his house was near mine so i went to pick it up). OP His got one more genoune ek9 front bar left if your interested. It was a white one. Think he was selling for 500 with the lip and like 330 without the lip. Shipping is like 80 or so dollars

ek Silva
02-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Yehh thats true. I managed to find my bumper off ebay (turned out his house was near mine so i went to pick it up). OP His got one more genoune ek9 front bar left if your interested. It was a white one. Think he was selling for 500 with the lip and like 330 without the lip. Shipping is like 80 or so dollars

Alright well I think I'll just source a front bumper, fenders and hood off any 99-00 civic (coupe included?) Not sure wether to get type r or standard headlights (type r ones are abit pricey). For the grilll ill go an ek9 or em1 one. Iv'e seen some pretty cheap OEM type r ones on yahoo japan :D.

Unfortunately I just spent 1K on second hand (good condition) tein flex coilovers that are being imported from japan so Im not gonna have any funding for a little while :(.

I know have a good idea thanks to u guys on what parts I need and how to get them :D

I should also probably make a build thread since I have the coilovers going in soon and im wanting to do this facelift conversion but it would be a slow one hahah

mattsrea
02-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Alright well I think I'll just source a front bumper, fenders and hood off any 99-00 civic (coupe included?) Not sure wether to get type r or standard headlights (type r ones are abit pricey). For the grilll ill go an ek9 or em1 one. Iv'e seen some pretty cheap OEM type r ones on yahoo japan :D.

Unfortunately I just spent 1K on second hand (good condition) tein flex coilovers that are being imported from japan so Im not gonna have any funding for a little while :(.

I know have a good idea thanks to u guys on what parts I need and how to get them :D

I should also probably make a build thread since I have the coilovers going in soon and im wanting to do this facelift conversion but it would be a slow one hahah

Ahh well yeah if your on a budget a replica grill and diy ek9 headlights is the way to go. I mean if you diy the headlights yourself and get a gunmetal grey coloour, it wouldnt be much difference lol. And personally i think you shouldnt spend more then 100 on a grill because it looks the same. I just managed to snap a geniune one for 90 which is really cheap.

Have a look around and if you need any help you can pm me or others who have done the facelift conversion :)