PDA

View Full Version : Fuse change - Battery sparks.?

compleks
28-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Hey guys, just a quick question.
I blew the under hood fuse for my amp yesterday. Bought the replacement and disconnected the negative battery terminal. Replaced the fuse and fuse holder without any problem.
Then when reconnecting the negative terminal it sparked a bit just as I was placing the clamp over the terminal point. Nothing big, was just like a bit of static electricity really.

Not knowing much about car batteries/electrics I wasn't sure if this was normal or not??
Everything worked out fine, I was just curious.

Cheers.

infurNOS
28-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Little sparks...Normal.
BIG sparks? Not normal
Happens to me most of the time. Just check no fuses have blown after it happens just in case. Its when it sparks continually you need to worry!

compleks
28-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Was only little. Well compared to the spark that blew the fuse in the first place!
Amp wasn't connected and I was cleaning out the back of the car. Red wire came into contact with part of the body and sparked. Fuse and housing both looked like a little bomb had gone off inside.

Still not sure why it just decided to spark though. Both cables had been floating around back there for a month?

Honda
28-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Was only little. Well compared to the spark that blew the fuse in the first place!
Amp wasn't connected and I was cleaning out the back of the car. Red wire came into contact with part of the body and sparked. Fuse and housing both looked like a little bomb had gone off inside.

Still not sure why it just decided to spark though. Both cables had been floating around back there for a month?

It's normal to notice a spark when you connect the negative terminal back onto the battery. Your fine :)

Peppy
28-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Even when the car is off, there are still a number of parts of the car that will have some current draw happening.

When your power cables aren't being used, just pull out the fuse. That way there's no connection to the battery and it doesn't matter what the boot end of your cable does.