PDA

View Full Version : Performance Parts for EK1

Vodzr
04-10-2012, 01:30 PM
What are some parts that a relatively cheap that i can put into my EK1 for moar power without doing an engine swap?

GU357
05-10-2012, 02:39 AM
same with everything else, Intake Headers Exhaust, IHE. exhaust probably more rewarding, but more expensive. there's no real cheap thing thats going to give you more power.
Go on ebay get a venom high flow CAT ($200), go to an exhaust shop get the new CAT put on plus a new system from the headers back - 2.5inch max- ($350).
Should give you some kw's + sound good and you might even be able to feel the less restriction.

Then headers, or get a turbo kit ,Turbo would be better choice of the 2 but after a turbo if you want more power then you need to do a engine swap which means the turbo was just a waste of time and money.
So you should get a engine swap and then turbo that later.

either way if you get the High Flow CAT and the headers back exhaust made up, then those are mods which will give you power now, and wont have to be wasted if you upgrade in the future.

mnc
05-10-2012, 03:53 AM
There isn't much to extract from the D series motor apart from force induction.

I would just stick to simple bolt on mods and some suspension mods.
Enjoy the car handling wise. It's very nimble once you throw on some handling mods.

If budget can be stretched, do a budget k24 swap. plenty of potential from the K series motors.

mnc
05-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Oh yeah, before you start spending money on power mods,

You might want to check out if your motor is healthy and all the service parts are top notch and not worn out.
A motor that's worn out and has low compression will obviously have less power than when it's healthy and running strong.

So definitely make sure your motor is in good nick otherwise there is no point doing mods.

EK1.6LCIV
05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
tyres, thick ctr sway bar for the rear, new bushes all round, lighter wheels, weight reduction on the interior, 2" exhaust with headers, cai with sealed box

Vodzr
05-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback, yeah im gonna go with the new exhaust system, Air intake, new headers and a good service

GU357
05-10-2012, 01:31 PM
wouldnt waste cash on headers just yet. incase it doesnt feed your power thirst

and intake isnt really that useful and just attract cops.

infurNOS
05-10-2012, 02:50 PM
HD clutch and lighten flywheel.

connorling
05-10-2012, 02:58 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?41413-New-to-modifying-your-car-see-here

bg60
05-10-2012, 03:03 PM
From a performance standpoint, a front and rear sway bar, plus good tyres and new/better shocks, new bushes, your car will handle much better.

However if its Killa Wasps your after, save up for an engine upgrade, and by that stage you will be looking at upgrading to bigger brakes.

chauster
06-10-2012, 09:38 PM
What are some parts that a relatively cheap that i can put into my EK1 for moar power without doing an engine swap?

bolt on turbo kit.

eLtrix
06-10-2012, 11:32 PM
bolt on turbo kit.

Seems to be the answer to most questions on here. Cheapest and most reliable source of powahhh

JDM-derek
07-10-2012, 08:57 PM
B swap!

DanR
09-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I think the amount of benefit you get out of CHEAP bolt on engine mods to a D-series is not that high per dollar spent.

If you want the car to sound better just take the resonator box out, run a piece of heat poof pipe from the front bar to the bottom of the stock airbox, and just change the panel filter to something like a K&N. As I said before though this won't really do much for power but at least this will minimise heat soak from a poorly designed short RAM intake.

I think your money is better spent on improving the handling of the car with an upgraded pair of springs/shocks or coilovers, A light weight pair of rims and tyres to reduce rotational mass, and a lightweight flywheel and clutch combination.

If power is your sole aim then as above swap a B16a/B18c in ;)

GU357
09-10-2012, 04:27 PM
If power is your sole aim then as above swap a B16a/B18c in ;)

rather then a another B swap go K swap.

the B series although good does not measure up to the K series engine. its like starting behind the go line rather than at it.

DanR
09-10-2012, 06:39 PM
rather then a another B swap go K swap.

the B series although good does not measure up to the K series engine. its like starting behind the go line rather than at it.

True... I can't not agree with that considering my car has a K20z1 haha... I was just thinking of the cheaper options for more power ;)

Daveho1
09-10-2012, 06:40 PM
read through the build threads there are ALOT of people who seem to agree that although the K is awsome its not all that and besides the amount of added supporting mods needed to get the most out of the k is crazy when u start doing the maths, unless max power is your goal the b18c is an awsome powerplant and plenty of get up and go for the real world

GU357
09-10-2012, 07:23 PM
nah, but if you want the most power possible no point starting at B then having to part it all just to go K.
But yeh B swap is your more economical.