PDA

View Full Version : Civic FD1 dashboard stained by iPhone holder suction cup

junsiang
05-10-2012, 05:40 PM
So I recently purchased a iPhone holder with a really sticky suction cup on it. Stuck it onto my dashboard and used it for a few weeks. Took it off just then to wipe the whole area down and realized it has left a ring shaped stain. Tried warm water with dishwash, several other household cleaner and a dashboard non shine spray, but nothing works, nothing happens to the stain at all. Any ideas guys?

Thanks

2MPRS
05-10-2012, 06:19 PM
that doesnt look like a stain it looks more like the suction cap has acutally ripped off some of the paint due to it being on for so long

junsiang
05-10-2012, 06:27 PM
It actually wasn't for too long, 2 weeks at most. Isn't it however meant to be on for a long time? What are my options now? repaint? replace?

2MPRS
05-10-2012, 06:51 PM
2weeks is plenty especially left in the sun for long periods of time. you could get it painted and blended in which is probably the cheapest

Winter
05-10-2012, 07:14 PM
You could go to your local wreckers and get that plastic part

TbM
06-10-2012, 05:57 AM
It actually wasn't for too long, 2 weeks at most. Isn't it however meant to be on for a long time?

those suction cups are meant for your windscreen iirc, having it stuck on the dash long term is a bad idea, ie if you left it on for a few years and even if it came off without removing paint the area under the cup would be less faded than the surrounding dash.

What are my options now? repaint? replace?
or you could put the cup back on and just leave it there.

junsiang
07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
thanks for all the replies guys. will be looking for a local wrecker. google time !

lolmclol
07-10-2012, 07:48 PM
black dye dash, for type R look? or carbon fiber wrap :-S

junsiang
07-10-2012, 10:28 PM
oh hey, black dye dash/carbon fibre does sound like a plan. more towards the black dye, but i'll need to work on my painting skills/look for someone qualified

EDIT: Just checked out black dye on google, boy that looks good !

lolmclol
07-10-2012, 10:36 PM
The VHT one is meant to be the best, just be weary, if done it may not be undone easily :-P

junsiang
07-10-2012, 10:38 PM
VHT ey, so far it seems as simple as cleaning it, 5 layers of paint and then its done! If anything, back to buying a new dash? lol.

lolmclol
07-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah .. thats what I was thinking, but over here I just can't find any civic's at wreckers except for midland but the bloke wanted to sell the whole thing, not parts :-(.

lolmclol
07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Other option is Dupicolor vinyl and fabric spray paint, which is also meant to be good.

But heard better things of VHT.

junsiang
07-10-2012, 10:54 PM
pity, it would have been cheap if he could just sell one part.

junsiang
07-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Is VHT easy to be found in Brisbane? Would autobarn/supercheap be stocking them? Plus, from what I've read, they easily scratch off?

lolmclol
07-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah that's what I sort of felt, considering I was interested in numerous parts, but all of them were random, can see it from his view point but wasn't going to persue :-(

Actually wanted a whole interior to trial the black dying, as my original motive, but currently I think I'll just have to wait until they start increasing their presence in the yards :-(

lolmclol
07-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Is VHT easy to be found in Brisbane? Would autobarn/supercheap be stocking them? Plus, from what I've read, they easily scratch off?

Don't know about autobarn, but supercheapauto only stocked the Duplicolor.

VHT Vinyl Dye.
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/vinyldye/ - Apparently very veeery permanent.

Check out this thread btw.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?161508-DIY-Black-Interior-EG-Any-Car

lolmclol
07-10-2012, 11:10 PM
vinyl dye is the bomb! i used VHT stuff 3years ago and its holding up like it did the day i done it :)

Check out his build thread for some interior pictures.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?162496-gtstripes-eg8-

junsiang
07-10-2012, 11:49 PM
so autobarn does stock VHT! also, seems easy, wax and grease remover, couple layers and then i'll have a no-stain dash in black. Probably be only doing the dash around the speedo, hopefully that'll look good. thanks for all the links though, great pics they had, got me excited for this weekend.

sensei_
07-10-2012, 11:59 PM
damn thats scary. will be putting those holders on my windshield from now on.

lolmclol
08-10-2012, 11:29 AM
so autobarn does stock VHT! also, seems easy, wax and grease remover, couple layers and then i'll have a no-stain dash in black. Probably be only doing the dash around the speedo, hopefully that'll look good. thanks for all the links though, great pics they had, got me excited for this weekend.

What you could even do is spray a sheet of paper then tape to dash to test out to see if the colour is definitely what you are looking for, least before you go all out and take apart the dash and what-not.

Good luck though! Look forward to hopefully hearing a happy result.

junsiang
08-10-2012, 08:53 PM
So I've emailed catchoftheday.com.au about the damage to my car, arguing that the iphone holder was depicted being used on the dashboard, and that in doing so, I've got this irreversible damage to the dash. They've requested for both picture of holder and damage, as well as a statutory declaration of how the damage occurred etc etc with a JP signing it off for them to take action. Might have something good out of this ey.

sensei_
08-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Do keep us posted if anything materialises

lolmclol
08-10-2012, 11:17 PM
So I've emailed catchoftheday.com.au about the damage to my car, arguing that the iphone holder was depicted being used on the dashboard, and that in doing so, I've got this irreversible damage to the dash. They've requested for both picture of holder and damage, as well as a statutory declaration of how the damage occurred etc etc with a JP signing it off for them to take action. Might have something good out of this ey.

better be quick before dishonest folk roll on it

jprak
09-10-2012, 02:14 AM
ebay is your friend
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-SPEEDO-SURROUND-TRIM-FD-8TH-GEN-06-08-/170691540477?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27be0235fd#ht_3066wt_1163

sensei_
09-10-2012, 09:36 AM
will the color match the original dash? or will it need to be painted to suit?

jprak
09-10-2012, 04:13 PM
its all the same unless the colours different when you purchased it from dealer?

junsiang
30-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Finally, an interesting conclusion after months of silence from catch of the day.

Dorothy, Apr 30 15:22 (EST):
Hi Jun,

After investigating the matter further with our management team, looking at the product and based on the instructions given on the packaging itself they have found that the damage was caused due to mishandling in removing the holder from the surface.

As mentioned in the cautions part of the packaging:

To release the mount from your dash, lift up the lever, then pull up the release tap.

Forced detachment causes serious damage and keep the lever unlocked when it is not on use.

As such, there is nothing further we can assist with this matter.

My apologies for the delayed response in getting the matter sorted.

Kind regards,

Dorothy
Customer Service Team

Anyone with any idea what to do next? I want to take it to fair trading or someone who can be of help.

Thanks.
Jun

sensei_
30-04-2013, 06:36 PM
small claims would be the only step i think as fair trading are a bunch of toothless tigers. they claim to bring parties to the table to resolve issues, but usually just sit on your case and tell you to bugger off.