PDA

View Full Version : JDM h22a and h22a type s

84AAP
15-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if the jap spec h22a short block is the same as the h22a type s??

hoojee
16-10-2012, 03:13 PM
jdm h22a can be found in 4th gen prelude, 5th gen prelude and 5th gen accord.
the type s h22 is from the 5th gen prelude. Comes in OBD2 loom. The 4th gen prelude h22 is obd1.

they can be interchangeable (convert dizzy plug to correct obd and TDC sensor location is different in one), but type s has different head and produces more power over the normal h22a.

84AAP
16-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks mate, I knew most of that, but my original question was, is the BLOCK (the crank and block) the same throughout the H22a's?

hoojee
16-10-2012, 03:36 PM
if its in the same gen. 4th gen is closed-deck block and 5th gen is open-deck. I assume the casting is the same thoughout the same gen.

i dont know if you can mix and match open-deck vs closed-deck blocks.

having said that, as far as I know, the type S had higher compression so the piston would have to be different to the other h22a's.

84AAP
16-10-2012, 04:03 PM
As far as I know through research, the JDM H22A is found in the 5th gen preludes (irrelavant for now) same as the H22A type S. Now the H22A type S block code is P5P (rated at 220hp), and the JDM H22A block code is P13 (rated at 200hp).

The differences I definately know is the H22A Type S pistons with 11.0:1 compression compared to 10.0:1 compression on the JDM H22A. and the block has had some work as well on the H22A type S.

I don't know anything about open-deck vs closed-deck.

But, what I am having trouble figuring out, is, am I able to replace just the P5P block with crankshaft, for a P13 block and crankshaft? Is it stright fit with B series box and adapter plate? Will it still produce the same power as before?

Killa From Manila
16-10-2012, 05:16 PM
prelude type s engines (the ones with ATTS) have a different block casting to all other h22a's. im trying to remember back to when i was going to do a h2b with the QSD kit. for H2B setups the b series intermediate shaft wont bolt on as the rear of the block is different. there is a way to get around it by modifying the block but i cant remember what it is exactly but there are people who've done it in australia and its worked.

id try to source an h22a euro r. they are the most powerful from factory, have the good intake manifold and u can sell off the lsd gearbox

EG8 CIVIC
16-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Best way is to get the same block as ur previous one... But then again it would be nice to know the differences, for future references.

84AAP
16-10-2012, 07:22 PM
prelude type s engines (the ones with ATTS) have a different block casting to all other h22a's. im trying to remember back to when i was going to do a h2b with the QSD kit. for H2B setups the b series intermediate shaft wont bolt on as the rear of the block is different. there is a way to get around it by modifying the block but i cant remember what it is exactly but there are people who've done it in australia and its worked.

id try to source an h22a euro r. they are the most powerful from factory, have the good intake manifold and u can sell off the lsd gearbox

Thanks mate, thats all I was after. Just wanted to confirm if I got a block from the wreckers here in aus, if it was strate bolt on, like u say, its not, so I will have to source out a type S block. Cheers.

Killa From Manila
16-10-2012, 07:35 PM
no stay away from the type s! its got the gay atts thing with the diff block

84AAP
17-10-2012, 09:31 AM
not if u got b series box..

Killa From Manila
17-10-2012, 10:47 AM
No the b series intermediate shaft won't bolt onto the type s block. U know how u have to grind out some of the block for room for the shaft to bolt on well that bit is totally different I think u need to cut n weld stuff

RenzokukenJ
17-10-2012, 01:18 PM
no stay away from the type s! its got the gay atts thing with the diff block

Wut.

Just don't use it?

It needs to be powered to work, if you don't power it, it won't work.

Killa From Manila
17-10-2012, 02:27 PM
strong reading comprehension skills in here. im talking bout a h2b swap and it wont work with the type s block

EG8 CIVIC
17-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Waht? He already has a type s h2b setup..

His trying to source out the same block

84AAP
18-10-2012, 08:54 AM
wow, this thread is useless. haha. dont worry everyone, Im just gona buy another engine exactly the same (P5P block), atts or non atts, doesnt matter, if I get an atts one, then I use the adapter plate I got, if its non atts, i dont use that bracket. simple.

Killa From Manila
18-10-2012, 04:05 PM
oh if youve got that then easy. better than grinding the crap outta the block of non atts engines