PDA

View Full Version : defect for having gauges?

JDM-derek
16-10-2012, 08:29 PM
just wondering if anyone got defect for gauges?? and which area is gauges aloud to be placed? I know A pillar is always a defect =/

ECU-MAN
17-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Iv seen cars not pass inspection after defect because the gauge control unit under the dash was spotted.

they seem to not like anything aftermarket in your car

mugen_ctr
17-10-2012, 08:27 AM
well if Syd is like VIC as long as the gauge d does not obstruct the drivers view than its ok, so it cant protrude pass the dash, or pillar etc etc though it bums me out how some cars like fpv xr6 an that have gauges that stick over the dash an be fine adr approved

DreadAngel
17-10-2012, 08:40 AM
^

Mugen CTR said, its about driver's view and also safety hazard in case of an emergency.

I was cautioned by a nice officer during RBT that I should check with RTA about the placment of my 3 Defi Gauges [Attached on the dash on top of the centre console], lucky I was already switching from that to Defi Advance ZD. I dunno if they have rules about having something on top of the steering wheel column? That night I had the A'PEXi RSM on top of the steering wheel column and no issue there? [Count that more lucky or something, perhaps they thought it was a GPS unit with all the lights lol]

junoki
17-10-2012, 08:44 AM
ive had oil/temp/water gauges setup in a din in my old evo (like r32 gtr oem setup).. didn't cop any trouble, if i had still left it on the dash when it came from jp then i would've got raped pretty hard i rekon

DreadAngel
17-10-2012, 08:47 AM
DIN is ok, its just like swapping your headunit to them...

On dash you'd be bent over...

JDM DC2R
17-10-2012, 10:01 AM
I have 2 gauges were my clock is and 2 in the custom cluster. never had problem. I had a cop question that my gauges are blocking the dash components. i just stated that the gauges are showing whats being blocked. And the reason for the gauges is for more accuracy. He seam fine with it!

mugen_ctr
17-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I have 2 gauges were my clock is and 2 in the custom cluster. never had problem. I had a cop question that my gauges are blocking the dash components. i just stated that the gauges are showing whats being blocked. And the reason for the gauges is for more accuracy. He seam fine with it!

thats nice! And also alot of the wrx boys run similar setup but triple gauge setup, and haven't heard of them getting pulled over for it, but i could be wrong lol

I wanna run same setup but on ek, but havent seen anything like that come up for our cars :/

xenonkuraz
17-10-2012, 11:54 AM
well if Syd is like VIC as long as the gauge d does not obstruct the drivers view than its ok, so it cant protrude pass the dash, or pillar etc etc though it bums me out how some cars like fpv xr6 an that have gauges that stick over the dash an be fine adr approved

Pillar is definitely a no-no, especially if there are curtain airbags.

I've been pulled over numerous times and I have 3 defi gauges mounted above the dash but it looks factory and i never get questioned.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5486/img1719yk.jpg

sorry about blur

JDM DC2R
17-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Just noticed i put up a old pic. Here my new layout. Also if the gauges are defect because it blocks the view of the driver. What about gpss

DreadAngel
17-10-2012, 03:40 PM
^

If you want to ask the officer, go ahead lol

If you've got a gauge holder like what you've all shown, usually from what I've seen they usually glance over it, perhaps they assume its factory fittment ergo part of the dash therefore its not obstructing view if its part of the dash right ;)

Just don't be so surprised though if they do question you cause they're very inexplicit when stating the rules for many things so it can be interpreted however they like...

Grady93
21-10-2012, 09:11 PM
a mate of mine got defected for having 3 guages on his dash on the passenger side in his ed hatch a while ago

cihanvtec
28-10-2012, 08:43 AM
as long as the gauge is not higher than the highest part of your dash, its ok.

normally, the speedo area is the highest, so as long as you have gauges mounted at the same hight or less, you will be fine.

JDM DC2R
28-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Ive heard they can defect you as the light the gauge emit when on can distract the driver of both you car and others

cihanvtec
28-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Ive heard they can defect you as the light the gauge emit when on can distract the driver of both you car and others

that seems fair enough. i had some gauges in my previous civic and the light would glare onto my windscreen. was pretty distracting. some of the cheaper brand gauges are very bright!

i have an apexi boost gauge at the moment, and im really happy with it. nice and dim, perfect at night.

curtis265
28-10-2012, 02:08 PM
that seems fair enough. i had some gauges in my previous civic and the light would glare onto my windscreen. was pretty distracting. some of the cheaper brand gauges are very bright!

i have an apexi boost gauge at the moment, and im really happy with it. nice and dim, perfect at night.

instant HUD!

androo
28-10-2012, 02:17 PM

instant HUD!

Instant upside-down HUD!

JDM-derek
29-10-2012, 08:49 PM
god I hate Australia....guess im gonna shove it in my single din dash.

Xenox
12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Isnt under feed LEDS more distracting than gauges?...