PDA

View Full Version : ED Type R

Relay
15-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Yeah i know the title doesn't make sense but hey, i didn't really know what else to call it. I am currently in the process of getting a DC2r engine put in my 91 ED sedan, plus a clutch/brake/suspension upgrade too.
Some of you might call me stupid, most of you will say 'waste of money, buy an eg and then do it', but i just love the ED shape.

After the usual i/h/e and ECU mods, what sort of power/figures am i looking at roughly?

I have been in a stock AUDM DC2r and it felt pretty quick, my civic currently weighs 950 odd kilo's, any one know off the top of their heads what the teg' weighs?

Just giving you guys the head's up, in case you see me at the WSID. I know its not going to be blindingly fast, but its going to surprise a few at least :D

tanghy
15-03-2005, 02:10 PM
you will have problems with extractors clearing the front of yr car, you might have to chop off some support metal

VT3C
15-03-2005, 02:31 PM
why dont you just put a 'regular' B-series in there instead of going to town with a type R front-cut ?? to me seems like overkill. If you can afford a $5k+ frontcut, why are you driving a 20 year old car ?

I dont say whack it in an EG, but why not an ED Hatchy ??

you got a LOT of work ahead of you in terms of custom mounts, custom axles, custom linkages, fuel lines, Wiring Harness nightmares etc. I think you will be throwing away half of your Type R front cut and replacing parts with custom items which are expensive and time consuming to have machined.

If you really wanna just 'surprise' people, just get a 100HP shot of NOS for your stock EW motor.. that'd save you a pile of cash and headaches trying to get a Type R swap in your ED..

type one
15-03-2005, 03:12 PM
power figures? or 1/4 mile times?

power out of an R with I/H/E can vary from 105-115.

this car down the 1/4 is a complete unknown... hehehe

Weq
15-03-2005, 03:16 PM
ur ED probably weighs around 70kg lighter then a Type-R. Goodluck with the conversion, id like to see a ED making type-r noises ;)

mojo the flashy monkey
15-03-2005, 03:27 PM
lol sounds like overkill 2 me :D cost a fortruen 2 poot in tho a b16 conversion redy costs over 7k

z3lda
15-03-2005, 03:34 PM
theres an easier way out, with lease mechanical problems. all i need is a good panel beater :D
cut off the front end of your ED and weld the typeR front cut to your ED. then all u need to wori about is fuel line/fuel pump. :D then if u dont like the teg lights, just do a ED headlight conversion. :D

mr crex
15-03-2005, 03:42 PM
a b16a swap into a ed civic/crx is $6000 MAX (I paid $6500 for my old crx as I did race clutch etc on top)

b18c swap I would rather do on a sedan over a b16a as the b18 would have that more torque for the bigger chassis... DC2R weight approx 1150kg off memory.

I personally would've gone with an ED hatch, but I say good on ya for doing the swap ... definently something different and definently will suprise a few people ... make it a sleeper ;)

Relay
15-03-2005, 03:54 PM
tanghy - I am not going to run aircon, and i am going to be running a two piece header. I've been told that i shouldn't have any issues :)

VT3C - Yup there probably will be headaches, and probably cost me a truck load of money. I am getting online performance in sydney to do the conversion for me, and they told me that everything should go pretty smoothly.

z3lda - Yeah i though about doing that, but i didn't end up getting a front cut :) hehehe

mr crex - I am hoping that car will turn out 'looking' quite ordinary.

Anyway, thanks for the support people. I will endevour to post some pics once things start happening.

VT3C
15-03-2005, 04:42 PM
OK fair enough, just wanted to make sure you know this aint gonna be cheap.. I imagine ONLINE arent real cheap also, but sometimes is worth paying for a bit of quality when doing these conversions.

good luck and post up pics and details as they happen !!

Relay
15-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Thats what i thought, good people, good result. Will post pics and details as it all starts to take shape.

tan18d
15-03-2005, 05:25 PM
where are you getting it done? do they have alot of experience in doing this? Are u going to use the original ECU?

Relay
15-03-2005, 05:35 PM
I am getting it done at Online Performance in Sydney. Yeah they have lots of experience in honda conversions, they have a CRX drag car with (what looks like) a turbo'ed H22 in it that does 9 second runs. As far as ECU's go I am going to be running a Microtech unit.

Lukezen27
15-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Go the ED Hatchy they look wicked

Look at my old beast

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15742

If it didn't get stolen I would be hunting by now :rolleyes:

Dnation
15-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Im still doing the ED B16A conversion as we speak.. Should have finished ages ago but ive been really lazy and busy with work. Nearly finished though. Just gotta put on the panels, wheels, sussy and oil it up.. Oh, and the EFI fuel system...

The conversion is not a bolt on.. U'll need engine mounts, need to hammer away at your chassis about 15mm out coz the power steering pump gets in the way.. U'll lose air-con coz the stupid aircompressor gets in the way of the cross member. Depending on the mounts, u will need to get a new bonnet coz they ED bonnet will hit the engine.. U will have ground clearance issues coz of the longer block (B18). Converting to fuel injection is abit fiddly... (thus why i've left it till last)...
Its an ugly conversion and i'm sick of it already.. Spent wayyy too money that I wanted to spend on such an old car... ED Shape is nice, but i could have got the fatter, better looking EG for an extra $2k and the have a higher resale value...

Budget for alot of dosh mate coz u'r thing will cost about $10k after you've finished with it... It'll be a beast though.. typeR engine rocks!!!

105-115mph isnt easy to get down the 1/4 dude.. EG5 has a H20 with heaps of mods and he *just* gets 106mph with a near perfect run...

Relay
15-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the tips. Knew about most of that. Getting some slightly stiffer suspension and i am not going to lower it at all really..... and i wont go driving over any gutters :).... all of which should help with the ground clearance issues.

Thats about the figure that i came to aswell. You're in sydney right. Once i get all this done and you finish your EFI stuff we should meet up, go for a cruise, etc. Send us a PM mate, once your done.

Again thanks for the heads up. I am pretty certain that my runs will be dead set crap for atleast the first 20 odd times :D

Macros
15-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Go for it dude

Vivski
15-03-2005, 09:23 PM
If you're silly enough to do it (and it seems like you are), be sure to take lots of pics and write up a guide... "How to make an ED Type R". :D

Good luck.

Setanta
15-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Can someone tell me why this is an issue other than header fitment issues?

Because it's a common swap in the US and Europe now and there are one or 2 ED CRXs is Aust running it.

Engine height is an issue - so get the Hasport mounts which mount the engine lower than an EF's B16A - get custom headers and the rest is the same as any other B series swap. BTW: ED "Hoopty" Sedans are nice swaps and can look mean with the JDM sedan nose and bumpers on them and slammed.

Check the 4G forums in my sig for more info - these are people that live, eat and sleep 4Gs - not just Honda Enthusiasts.

Setanta
15-03-2005, 09:47 PM
The conversion is not a bolt on.. U'll need engine mounts, need to hammer away at your chassis about 15mm out coz the power steering pump gets in the way.. U'll lose air-con coz the stupid aircompressor gets in the way of the cross member. Depending on the mounts, u will need to get a new bonnet coz they ED bonnet will hit the engine.. U will have ground clearance issues coz of the longer block (B18). Converting to fuel injection is abit fiddly... (thus why i've left it till last)...
Its an ugly conversion and i'm sick of it already.. Spent wayyy too money that I wanted to spend on such an old car... ED Shape is nice, but i could have got the fatter, better looking EG for an extra $2k and the have a higher resale value...

Bullshit.

Get the Hasport mounts and you negate 90% of these issues. Hasports allow you to retain the ED bonnet rather than going to an EF one. You also get to keep the PS, aircon etc. B18Cs have also been made to fit without backyard butchering the body or chassis. It's only the H22A swap that needs butchering - and it's a waste of time.

Spent too much money? Should have researched it properly first. This is the most common swap into EDs in the US.

Dnation
15-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Mate, you dont need to get soo touchy about it. This is my first hand experience, and like you, I was left thinking WTF when this happened... It was suppose to be a simple 'bolt on' according to almost every honda forum out there and I was very surprised when it created soo much trouble..
I have a feeling i bought some dodgy mounts though coz this conversion gave me hell.. i guess thats what you get when you pay $130AU from ebay for mounts instead of the $600AU hasports mounts aye..

Regarding budget, I exceeded it coz the front cut's clutch was dead.. I was hoping to reuse it coz this sh1tbomb ED Civic was gonna be my throw around car.. Didnt want to spend over $2500 on the conversion.. It ended up costing me nearly $4000 for the whole conversion (partly my fault for buying such an expensive clutch, 2pac paint and some Enkei rims) Probably a great price by most ppl's books, but there are other non-monetary costs that this car *inflicted* on me.. Something that i would pay over $50,000 to get back... but anyway... wats done is done..

I think his case is different from mine S-man... Im a t1ghta55 coz I have a HUGE mortgage to pay off. He's probably got the funds and is willing to spend all the dosh on his beloved automobile.

MoonSha
16-03-2005, 12:20 AM
do it do it do it, pity about the sedan model though ;) I personally think it's gonna take some work to get that thing looking half decent, great sleeper though. Sleeper with boot space :D

AUSVTEC
16-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Sounds like a very nice conversion to me.
It should fit ok, you wont have much room in your engine bay left......

big_red
16-03-2005, 09:01 AM
I've had this conversion done to my ed crx about 4 years ago... so far so good.
The install was a real pain in the a$$ .. mind you back then not many people were into these type of conversions. Cost me a bomb .. but I think it's worth it.
With the internally stock type r motor and tranny, with intake and exhaust mods... I was able to run consistent 13.6 / .7 quarters.

The std type r motor is very strong and you can rev all day long ...
Remember to upgrade the brakes as well as the stock ED brakes will NOT handle the increase in hp. Other than that, some suspension mods will make it handle on rails!

ekslut
16-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Didnt want to spend over $2500 on the conversion.. It ended up costing me nearly $4000 for the whole conversion

Yeah, this is what I thought too....My conversion is nearly finished, but it has still cost me way over $4000.

But I did use the Hasport mounts and everything. Engine fitting was not a problem. But you still have to bash in part of the chassis, near the suspenion tower, to get the engine to fit. Hasport kit allowed me to use the original bonnet, only thing was P/S was very close to the body...But I removed it anyways.

But anyways, nice conversion. The ITR engine into the light ED chassis will be very quick. Should be a nice sleeping in the sedan chassis

Relay
16-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Setanta - have been visiting 4thgenerationcivic for years now. Thats where i got the idea :) The mount kit that i am using, i believe, is similar to the HAsport one, i.e. mounts the engine a little lower. Thats what i am hoping anyway.
Your read my mind about the JDM nose and tail. I like your sir, almost bought myself one of these, although at the time i didn't have the money.

big_red - Thanks for the info. That's not half bad eh. Yeah i am upgrading my brakes and suspension. More than likely crx fronts, with cross drilled rotors + decent pads, and replace my drums with disks at the rear. Its one thing to go fast, but i would like to be able to stop :) For suspension probably some koni yellows/red & springs of some description.

Cheers for the support guys.

panda[cRx]
16-03-2005, 11:06 AM
setana and ekslut are right, with the hasport mounts you shouldnt have any trouble fitting the b18c in.... i didnt ;)

mr crex
16-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Bullshit.

Get the Hasport mounts and you negate 90% of these issues. Hasports allow you to retain the ED bonnet rather than going to an EF one. You also get to keep the PS, aircon etc. B18Cs have also been made to fit without backyard butchering the body or chassis. It's only the H22A swap that needs butchering - and it's a waste of time.

Spent too much money? Should have researched it properly first. This is the most common swap into EDs in the US.

when doing my swap with HASport mounts, we had to slightly dent in the chassis near the power steering pump (10mm max) to give a sufficient & safe clearance for the pump & belt *to our liking*

A/C will not fit with these mounts, however HASport makes a custom bracket that is suppose to be straight bolt on to keep A/C, I didnt bother with it as I took A/C out of my crx years before I did the swap anyway.

as with the cross member, due to the more forward positioning of the b-series engine into the ED shape the crossmember is a bit of an issue when fitting typical b-series headers (eg, ek, dc) however the HASport "EF" style headers are perfect clearance, and the EF made headers from japan dont have too much clearance problems.

fitting 4-1 headers is impossible without cross member modification or replacement with a custom member (which are redily available in the USA)

I have full confidence in ONLINE as a friend of mine had his crx b16a swap done with ONLINE and it was fantastic job.