PDA

View Full Version : Euro and Mobile car kit

kanthan
15-03-2005, 03:30 PM
hi,

has anyone installed a carkit in their euros? My cousin took his euro to strathfield and wanted to get a bluetooth kit installed (nokia ck-1w). The guy said he can install it but he wont be able to get the radio to mute, as there is no mute cable. Most cars including ur commodores and fords all have a mute wire available so u can hook into the radio to mute the signal.

According to some TSX owners, there is no mute wire but apparently pin 14 does the same job. But that means the guy has to take the whole deck out. I spoke to honda and they advised me that the euro does not have that feature and not to try and attempt it. Saying that, Honda (RICKS) will supply me with a diagram (apparently 10pgs) of the pinouts.

Has anyone attempted this or had a kit installed? How did you do it differently?

Peekay34
15-03-2005, 07:58 PM
There is a way of doing it Wes Components has a box that works. It works by the mobile phone control wire from the handsfree connected to a electronic relay, then placed between the accessories power feed going into the radio. When a call comes it it cuts power to the radio till the call is complete... then switches the radio back on, sort of like when you use your key in the ignition switch cept does it electronicly. I had one in my old car and worked very well with no issues. The box is approx $20. Wes is in Sydney. You still have to remove the radio to fit it. Otherwise get a blue tooth unit. I have a Blue Ant unit.

as001
15-03-2005, 10:33 PM
There is a way of doing it Wes Components has a box that works. It works by the mobile phone control wire from the handsfree connected to a electronic relay, then placed between the accessories power feed going into the radio. When a call comes it it cuts power to the radio till the call is complete... then switches the radio back on, sort of like when you use your key in the ignition switch cept does it electronicly. I had one in my old car and worked very well with no issues. The box is approx $20. Wes is in Sydney. You still have to remove the radio to fit it. Otherwise get a blue tooth unit. I have a Blue Ant unit.

Ive seen the Blue Ant unit in stores b4 and was always curious how it performed

bigdongers
15-03-2005, 10:54 PM
The blueant unit is great. I have one in my car. it even makes a cool noise when you start your car :)

Another good choice is the THB System 8 car kit. You can get different cradles to suit different phones and you can also get a bluetooth module too.

The relay thing does work. Otherwise, just hit the power button on the stereo when your call comes through.

LOC888
16-03-2005, 07:51 AM
Ive gotta a Sony Ericssen Bluetooth HCB-30 installed, works great. It did have a mute option, but I chose not to have it, if the phone rings I just turn off the music...

blueeuro
16-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Car kits have always been a hard wired issue, because you change your phone and you have to get a new kit. You change cars and you have have the old Kit removed and re-installed.

Portable hands frees always had to be plugged into the phone and then clipped on your shirt, again to much hassle.

The last mobile phone I bought I made sure had a "Hands Free" option in the handset. It works great, all I do is power off the radio and use the hands free option on the Mobile Handset. I don't do a lot of talking when I'm in the car but the quality is OK, and the freedon and lack of hassle re hard wiring is fantastic.

Just an idea.

Paul

kanthan
16-03-2005, 01:34 PM
i guess thats the point of installing a bluetooth kit...it is not dependent on the handset. i guess he figured, going to the trouble of getting it installed, might as well get the mute feature.

ABS121
16-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Yeah like LOC888, i have a sony HCB-300 though, and when i got it installed i told them not to wire it to the stereo, didnt want them mucking around behind the dash or pulling anything out.

Just turn the stereo down...........

LOC888
17-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Yeah like LOC888, i have a sony HCB-300 though, and when i got it installed i told them not to wire it to the stereo, didnt want them mucking around behind the dash or pulling anything out.

Just turn the stereo down...........

Exact same reason here...

Seismic
06-04-2006, 02:08 PM
I am about to install the same Nokia kit into my Euro Lux. I have installed kits before in various other cars and can tell you that you don't need to spend $20 on something that someone else made. What's inside the box is just a relay! Go to Dick Smith or Super Cheap Auto and get a 10amp relay for a few bucks - Make sure it's a SPDT relay with 5 terminals.
Notice the terminals on the relay are marked: 30, 85, 86, 87, 87a. 85 and 86 are the connectors on either side of the relay coil. 87 is the "normally open" or NO terminal and 87a is the "normally closed" terminal. 30 is the common connector. When the relay coil is inactive, you will get continuity between 30 and 87a. When the relay is energised 87a breaks and you get continuity between 30 and 87 instead.
The CRM line from the kit (Yellow) should run at 12volts until a call comes in, then it drops to 0Volts. If you find the power supply wire running into the deck and split it (one wire going to the supply input side of the relay and the other side going to one side of the relay coil = 85) then connect your CRM wire to the other side of the relay coil = 86 - and finally connect the cable going to the head unit to the supply output = 87a, it should work as required.
During normal driving with no phone operation, the relay has 12volts on either side of the coil causing a zero potential difference leaving the relay inactive. This feeds the 12v supply at 30 through to 87a supplying the stereo. When a call comes in, the CRM supply to 86 drops to 0V creating a 12v potential difference through the relay coil which activates it and switches the 12v supply at 30 away from 87a and on to 87. This effectively kills the supply to the stereo for the duration of the call.
Might be a longwinded reply and a little too late but I hope someone finds it useful.

I'm a bit disappointed that my other car has the mute feature built into the stereo and displays a picture of a telephone when you get a call whereas all I'll be looking at in the Euro is a black screen. You'll have to be careful too that you get the right 12v supply to the unit since the assembly also controls the climate and clock.
If you come across that pinout that suggests there is a better way to mute the stereo, post it up! But otherwise - the relay will work fine!

Seismic
06-04-2006, 02:19 PM
If you really want to get adventurous, you can use a bunch of DPDT relays to switch the speaker loads through a resistor block which will "mute" or turn down the volume of the speakers while on a call depending on the value of the resistors used. I am considering switching the source for the front speakers between the stereo speaker outs and the car kit speaker out so that the car kit just uses the front speakers of the car. I did this on my previous car and it worked a treat!

Eurotony
06-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Ihave a normal Nokia car kit installed in my Euro Lux. It uses a relay to mute the radio & it works Fine.

tony1234
10-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Doesn't it cut the power to the whole ctr.display inc. a/c etc.when a call comes in?This is what i was told???:confused: