PDA

View Full Version : slow b20vtec

jayeg
23-10-2012, 08:47 PM
i went and test drove a b20 with a b18c2 head and its slower then my standard b18c2 both in egs i/h/e on both he said the its running slow because it has a its has a bradid oil line instead of a silicon one it dosnt pull as hard as my b18c2. it just feels like its holding back and its also running a hondata and he said its making 120kw at the wheels and he has a oil catch can and i drove it and there was smoke coming from that and the hose that runs to the pod filter any ideas what i could be need help asap

ECU-MAN
23-10-2012, 08:58 PM
get a dyno run done. check the AFR

if the tune is wrong or out it will not perform. other things can contribute to poor performance such as exhause flow, leads, plugs, valve clearance, valve timing, cam gears incorectly set and so on.

jayeg
23-10-2012, 09:12 PM
he said timing was checked when he had it dynod at byp he is also running a skunk2 manifold with a 70m throttle body a 1000cc injectors with 5inch cai with a massive filter and when
he drove it a let off it sounded like back pressure weird noise

Chr1s
23-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I know, don't buy it!

mocchi
23-10-2012, 10:10 PM
i went and test drove a b20 with a b18c2 head and its slower then my standard b18c2 both in egs i/h/e on both he said the its running slow because it has a its has a bradid oil line instead of a silicon one it dosnt pull as hard as my b18c2. it just feels like its holding back and its also running a hondata and he said its making 120kw at the wheels and he has a oil catch can and i drove it and there was smoke coming from that and the hose that runs to the pod filter any ideas what i could be need help asap

slow because it has braided oil line instead of silicon? making 120kw?

did he also say that the equator of the Milky Way galaxy (Galactic Equator) and the path of the Sun (the Ecliptic) will cross each other at exactly 11:11 am GMT on December 21, 2012. What does this mean exactly? Or, even better, what is the probability of this occurring?

Every year on the winter solstice, our Sun has a Declination of -23.5 degrees, and a Right Ascension of 18 hours. But what makes the alignment of 2012 special is how this alignment occurs relative to very distant stars. On December 21, 2012, the alignment will be right along the plane of the entire galaxy. This precession of the equinoxes goes in a complete circle and happens only once every 26,000 years. In other words, the winter solstice moves 360 degrees every 26,000 years, or 0.01 degrees each year.
A significant detail that promoters of the 2012 doomsday fail to point out, however, is that the plane of the galaxy is not the width of a needle. The plane of the galaxy is quite wide - in fact, it takes the winter solstice between 700 hundred and 1,400 years to cross the plane of the galaxy! So 2012 is just one year amidst a span of 700 years.

cbauto
23-10-2012, 10:42 PM
where are you located?

pm me.

jayeg
24-10-2012, 09:51 AM
thanks for the help i just im trying to think if its still worth getting if i can fix it. its a mint white vti with coilovers etc for 7500 any more input would be great

cbauto
24-10-2012, 10:05 AM
mint but underpowered.

immaculate with problems

pristine faded paint.

lmzoooo @ pm

sense. lacking in today's generation

jayeg
24-10-2012, 10:08 AM
well im just thinking if its not a major problem to fix then the car is good for the money

DakDak
24-10-2012, 10:17 AM

That smoke is blow by. It is a normal phenomenon. Dont know why its venting though, should be airtight and going into the intake manifold. Is there blue smoke coming out of the exhaust? Or is it black?

he said timing was checked when he had it dynod at byp he is also running a skunk2 manifold with a 70m throttle body a 1000cc injectors with 5inch cai with a massive filter and when
he drove it a let off it sounded like back pressure weird noise

Why did the previous owner even get 1000cc injectors? VTEC not engaging because of a braided oil line? Who's this guy your buying it off? Sounds clueless to me.

mint but underpowered.

immaculate with problems

pristine faded paint.

lmzoooo @ pm

sense. lacking in today's generation

HAHAHAHHA

well im just thinking if its not a major problem to fix then the car is good for the money

- Sounds like you need a retune. =$500? Among other things ECU-MAN mentioned.
- The PCV/ Oil catch can isnt air tight. =$$$? Depends what it is. I'd just bin the catch can altogether.
- Blue smoke out the exhaust = Do not buy

jayeg
24-10-2012, 11:21 AM
that car dosnt blow any smoke on idle or when driving/vtec the cactch can doesnt have a filter on top of it thats where the smoke is coming from
vtec comes on very loud dosnt pull that hard and the engament has been set to 5500 the car idles at about 900 it doesnt over heat its weird everything
seems ok its just not pulling. its probably as fast as my bros b16a and the bloke im buying it off dosent really no anything about the car

stndrd
27-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Sounds to me like there are too many what ifs about the car. Dont waste your money and buy something else

bennjamin
27-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Who built the motor ? Proper workshop or backyarders ?!

Regardless , avoid the car.

void-
27-10-2012, 02:55 PM
dude.. byp tuned it... it just tells u not to buy..

they cant tune for shit...

dotn buy the car

jayeg
27-10-2012, 03:07 PM
i bought it for so cheap that i had to buy it the parts on it are worth more then i payed i think i might have found the power issue blown headgaket i will replace that then get it retuned by toda when the car is warm the over flow fulls up and the radiator has bubbles there is no water in the oil or oil in the water when i do the hG is the b20 HG and the B18c2 HG the same

ewendc2r
28-10-2012, 11:29 AM
1000cc injectors are so far below their optimal duty cycle I doubt that they are effectively atomising the fuel in any case.... Good luck, sounds like a disasterous build.

jayeg
28-10-2012, 05:01 PM
i ended up paying 6800 for it i no it prob needs a rebuild by all the parts are there its a mint vti shell it has buddyclud sussy, hardrace camber kit front and back,type r gearbox,hondata,big injectors,skunk2 throttle body and intake maifold full exhaust system with good headers, hid kit and brand new rims and tyres i need to find someone on here who really know's there b20s and help me to get it running how it should.

stndrd
28-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Bring it to Melbourne and i'll look after you :P

jayeg
28-10-2012, 06:12 PM
thanks could use some help closer to home

jayeg
29-10-2012, 09:01 PM
plz delete no wants to help

Chr1s
29-10-2012, 09:30 PM
1000cc injectors are so far below their optimal duty cycle I doubt that they are effectively atomising the fuel in any case.... Good luck, sounds like a disasterous build.

You should really be backing that up... ID1000cc injectors idle fine and are proven to be controlled better than OEM Injectors on a standard engine.

tinkerbell
30-10-2012, 12:52 PM
You should really be backing that up... ID1000cc injectors idle fine and are proven to be controlled better than OEM Injectors on a standard engine.

agree, my ID725's idle fine at 1% duty cycle...

but recall that you dont know whether these ones are ID's or crappy 'old style' ones...

dougie_504
30-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Hey guys, no public advertising of businesses/services unless you're a registered OH trader.

You can make offers via PM and respond to WTB's only.

tinkerbell
31-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Hey guys, no public advertising of businesses/services unless you're a registered OH trader.

ha ha ha that's fukcing funny stuff right there!

jayeg
31-10-2012, 08:22 AM
i live in newcastle i need someone who know's hondas to look at it the car dosnt overheat it just fills the overflow bottle so would the car be alright to drive down
to sydney to have some one have a look at it and i have noticed that the car first overheated when i was at the lights and i came on 2step went out yetsreday started the car
let it warm up came on 2step and it overheated so if i drive it normal i should be ok i dont want to warp the head or f##k anything

tinkerbell
31-10-2012, 08:25 AM
what is 2step?

jayeg
31-10-2012, 08:34 AM
launch controll its set at 4500

tinkerbell
31-10-2012, 09:03 AM
good luck with your car :wave:

GSi_PSi
31-10-2012, 09:38 AM
sounds like a cracked sleeve from the overheating issues

good luck

jayeg
31-10-2012, 05:31 PM
ok cracked sleeve what causes it, and what is a good workshop to get the new bottom end installed and get a tune so it dosnt happen again

cbauto
01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
cbauto

dc2r_fAn
01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
ok cracked sleeve what causes it, and what is a good workshop to get the new bottom end installed and get a tune so it dosnt happen again

dude i would suggest calling Toda and talking to them about this.. if it is indeed a cracked sleeve it gives you an excuse to get forged pistions imo... since toda has re-managed they can give you couple of quotes to rebuild it..

all the best champ

JDM DC2R
01-11-2012, 11:09 AM
dude i would suggest calling Toda and talking to them about this.. if it is indeed a cracked sleeve it gives you an excuse to get forged pistions imo... since toda has re-managed they can give you couple of quotes to rebuild it..

all the best champ

Toda closed down ages ago!

Have you tryed hitting it with a hammer. Or telling it to behave its self. or both simultaneously.

I dunno why you'd buy a car not running right. At that price

Best bet. Dismantle and remantle the motor fixing whats needed!

dc2r_fAn
01-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Toda closed down ages ago!

Have you tryed hitting it with a hammer. Or telling it to behave its self. or both simultaneously.

I dunno why you'd buy a car not running right. At that price

Best bet. Dismantle and remantle the motor fixing whats needed!

i thought toda re-opened with differnet management

MassiEk4
01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Worst comes to worst pick up a new B20 short block from a junk yard, $500-700?

bennjamin
01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
i thought toda re-opened with differnet management

Toda PARTS are now being sold via another trader. AFAIK they do not offer mechanical services

jayeg
01-11-2012, 01:23 PM
for the price i got it is very cheap consedring the parts on the car and the condition of it most b20vtec eg's are selling for 9ish without the bolton's and the condition
of mine i spoke to online perfomance and there going to help me out so for under 10gs all up and thats including and new block installed and a tune im happy with the car

DakDak
01-11-2012, 01:37 PM
for the price i got it is very cheap consedring the parts on the car and the condition of it most b20vtec eg's are selling for 9ish without the bolton's and the condition
of mine i spoke to online perfomance and there going to help me out so for under 10gs all up and thats including and new block installed and a tune im happy with the car

OK so you are more satisfied with

6.8K B20 EG WITH PROBLEMS than 9K B20 EG in running conditon/better nick.

You are then going to spend an additional 9-10K to fix this car up, bringing the grand total to approximately 16K?

16K VS 9K

Sounds smarter to go with option B from the start.

jayeg
01-11-2012, 01:56 PM
what no under 10gs for the car and the new bottom end installed

jayeg
08-11-2012, 05:55 PM
im getting my motor rebuilt now by online performance how can i stop the sleeve cracking on the new motor should i get the computer retuned and upgradred the raditor it only has a standard one at the moment and someone was telling me if you punch it in say 4th gear and you only reving at 2000 it can cause the sleeve to cracked because it does something with the igition timing and im wondering what sort of power my setup could make it has skunk2 prosries manifold, 70mm throttle body, 1000cc id injectors with cai and a stock b18c2 head with stock bottom end and s300 with a 2/2.5 inch exhaust with good headers

GSi_PSi
08-11-2012, 07:15 PM
im getting my motor rebuilt now by online performance how can i stop the sleeve cracking on the new motor should i get the computer retuned and upgradred the raditor it only has a standard one at the moment and someone was telling me if you punch it in say 4th gear and you only reving at 2000 it can cause the sleeve to cracked because it does something with the igition timing and im wondering what sort of power my setup could make it has skunk2 prosries manifold, 70mm throttle body, 1000cc id injectors with cai and a stock b18c2 head with stock bottom end and s300 with a 2/2.5 inch exhaust with good headers

The b20 cylinder walls are thin, and only a good tune can save them from premature detonation. If you want to bulletproof your motor, you should install
new AEBS/GE/DARTON/ etc aftermarket sleeves. Its costly but you gotta pay to play.
Your setup would make around 115-125kw from experience on similar b20 setups provided everything is healthy and your tuner knows what
hes doing.

jayeg
08-11-2012, 07:37 PM
thanks can anybody point me towards a good tuner. i dont want to sleeve it im going to get this setup fixed and tuned then sell it i want to get into the 12s so i need a better base motor
and i dont no what im leaning towards either h2b or k24

RenzokukenJ
08-11-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm exhausted from reading these posts man! Use grammar!!!

How much is it costing you to rebuild your motor?

What power you hoping for?

jayeg
08-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Around $1500 i just want it running like it should but 120kw would be good.

cbauto
16-11-2012, 10:50 AM
poor sucker buying the car off this Guy