PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] Accord Euro. What Now?

CalebEuro
24-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Hello Everyone, As you may notice I am new here, and I just bought my first car, honda accord euro. I don't know much about the modding of cars and rims sizes and offsets and everything, I have done as much research as I could before posting here. (no Google is your friend comments please)
But still have a few unanswered questions.

Car info:
Honda Accord Euro
Luxury Model
Auto
Color Red

Pic:
http://imageshack.us/a/img5/2906/img1183ms.jpg

First of all I plan to do some modding performance and visual wise. Where do I start?
This is list I came up with the research I have done (so far).

The only thing I am pretty sure I don't want to do is lower it, unless you can convince me why I should scrap my front bumped every time I go over a speed bump, its not gonna happen.

Most important to least:
1. Rims, I really like the black TE37 or BBS LMS, But I know nothing of what size offset to get and where to get them for a reasonable price. What is the Best Size Offset and Tyre Size for a non-lowered euro?

2. Sound System, I was think along the lines of Double Din Head Deck Alpine Type R front speakers, Type S Sub, IDK about AMPS any opinions and I noticed there is no space for Double Din Head Deck Where the Current Radio is but you can buy a fascia that goes in the glove box below the current radio, where can I buy that fascia? I seen a few people say you can buy one from honda, how much is it?

3. Cold Air Intake. (Is it even worth it?)
I have had a bit of a look but there isn't many I could find (Probly looking in the wrong place), What is the best cold air intake out there, for a reasonable price, and where can I buy it.

4. Exhaust, I have noticed that almost everyone says get a cat back exhaust like the Skunk2 but apparently its loud and you have a performance loss if you put silencers in. I am looking for an exhaust that has good performance gains and a nice sound, I don't wanna blow my ear drums off every time I take off. Where is the Cheapest and Best Place to buy an exhaust like this?

Ok, well that was a long and boring read, anyway thanks for your time and hope you can help!

supersaiyan
25-10-2012, 01:52 AM
hey welcome mate and congratulations on the euro !!!

1. i'm not sure if rims would look good without the proper fitment and on a non lowered car it'll look pretty bad imo, which is why i'd just recommend sticking with the stockies if you're not interested in lowering the car! (stockies imo are nice). Offset is pretty much how much the rims stick out of the base (lowernumber, the outer, highernumber, the inner). There really isnt a best size offset or tyre size because its completely up to you whether you want to run poke or tuck etc, If you like the concave look go for a lower offset number (not too low or else it'll poke out of the guards too much and you'll be defected)
3. Alot of people would say to just buy the injen CAI which is priced reasonable which is what you're looking for! i'm not sure where to buy!
4. My friend has a skunk2 and imo its alright but it is loud! it costed him about 1.2k from heeltoeauto.com which was the most cheapest/fastest delivery time available so you should definetly check that place out when you have time!

imo lowering a car is great, fitment makes or breaks a car and it also improves handling if done properly, it really depends on you whether you wanna run aggresive or not and there are ways to avoid scratching the bumper etc (crabwalking humps, rolling guards etc but obviously these only help but not eliminate the situation)

happy modding :)

antony
25-10-2012, 06:39 AM
I would keep the standard Honda alloy wheels,they suit the car perfectly as are such a good design,and look WAY better than the cheap looking all Black ones.
Dont spoil your car,its so good looking.

Black Euro
25-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Nice looking Euro buddy!
Keep the stockies they look good!
The CAI, go for K&N typhoon kit as it provides the most gain (tested on the CL9) and having this will give the Euro a bit more of a sound.

However before you start modding or doing anything to your car, think about which way you wish to go down...performance or looks...

Goodluck

twing
25-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Nice milano red.
Best mod from my experience is to get the best tire.

ChaosMaster
25-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Yeah, if you don't want to lower it, don't get new RIMs, especially since the OEM RIMs are designed to look bigger than they are. When you put aftermarket 17"'s on, which are the same size as you have now, you'll find they look too small, yet when you put 18" or bigger, due to the shrink in tyre sidewall, the gap between the tyre and guard will standout making it look like a 4WD.

The sound system is up to you. One first step could be to put some dynamat in, as that'll improve your sound as well.

CAI will improve performance, although it depends on how you drive. If your not the type to gun it all the time, and don't want a loud induction, consider the CompTech Icebox.

Exhaust wise, the stock CL9 exhaust isn't really restricted from the cat back, as the 2 resonators don't really do much, so there's no real point in getting a full CATBACK. If you want power, get headers and a less restrictive cat, being 06 FL version, it has the less restrictive 400 cell CAT stocked (vs 900 on the pre-facelift). You can get Hi-Flow CATS with 100 cell upwards, I would consider a 170 or 250 cell though. Incase you want to do the whole thing, Fujitsubo Legalis R or HKS Silent Hi-Power would prob be the quieter choices. You'll find a thread with youtube vids of CL9 somewhere in this section, it'll give you a rough idea of how they sound.

Fredoops
25-10-2012, 01:50 PM
3. Cold Air Intake. (Is it even worth it?)
I have had a bit of a look but there isn't many I could find (Probly looking in the wrong place), What is the best cold air intake out there, for a reasonable price, and where can I buy it.
Depends
Injen is the default choice here cause everyone screams "INJEN" even though it's proven to NOT been the best intake.

For automatic CT icebox produces the best lower end torque, else the K&N Typhoon is tested to have the most power output (somthing like 12hp at the wheels)

As far as intake power outpout is concerned K&N > CT Icebox > Injen.

4. Exhaust, I have noticed that almost everyone says get a cat back exhaust like the Skunk2 but apparently its loud and you have a performance loss if you put silencers in. I am looking for an exhaust that has good performance gains and a nice sound, I don't wanna blow my ear drums off every time I take off. Where is the Cheapest and Best Place to buy an exhaust like this?

Not everyone want skunk2, just a selected few on here.

You are not going to make much power out of the exhaust unless you go for a extra loud race system (like a boarderline straightpipe.), because the Euro's exhaust is very free flow already.

The extractor/header on the other hand, is something you could look at modding.

I made a CL9 exhaust sound thread a while back, have a poke around and see if you could find it.

charliebrown
25-10-2012, 02:11 PM
1. wheels on stock height looks chat. aftermarket wheels on euros look chat anyway unless sw baby. keep the stock lux 17s, look nice

2. can add a screen down the bottom in the flippy thing but since you don't want to spend a lot, just upgrade speakers, add sub and power with a good amp. leave the headunit stock and if you want ipod connectivity get xcarlink or similar

3. its auto

4. its auto

intake and exhaust sound like absolute ass on autos, think commodore tryin to snap necks. would put the cash elsewhere where you'll actually feel a difference like a rear sway bar, front strut bar, coilovers etc

leroy
25-10-2012, 10:27 PM
1. wheels on stock height looks chat. aftermarket wheels on euros look chat anyway unless sw baby. keep the stock lux 17s, look nice

2. can add a screen down the bottom in the flippy thing but since you don't want to spend a lot, just upgrade speakers, add sub and power with a good amp. leave the headunit stock and if you want ipod connectivity get xcarlink or similar

3. its auto

4. its auto

intake and exhaust sound like absolute ass on autos, think commodore tryin to snap necks. would put the cash elsewhere where you'll actually feel a difference like a rear sway bar, front strut bar, coilovers etc

WOW.....Best advice that you will receive....... full stop!

I have been around cars for a long time and some are worth modding for performance etc and others are not. I now have a 07 Euro and a little suspension work for handeling will make you enjoy 'driving' a little more. If you are chasing performance then mabey chase another car to throw your money at, and once you start... you always want a bit more and a bit more.

Dont get me wrong... the euro is a nice car... I enjoy driving it and its certainly cheaper on fuel than my past STi's, XT's, HSV's etc....... but it will never be a street weapon.... which is fine... as I have nothing to prove.

My sugestion..... suspension. Get to know what makes a difference, how things work, subtle changes can really add to your 'feel' in your car.

Either way, enjoy.

CalebEuro
26-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks Everyone for the advice.
I do really like the stockies on, but they still just don't give me the look I want, so I will consider lowering the car only if it's required to get a decent look, what coilovers should I get, and where can I get them from?
From my friends and research I have done I think I will buy the K&N Typhoon, what size should I get I took a look on the website and there is loads of size, not which one is the correct one for the car and max HP increase. Also where can I buy one from in aus?

akina
26-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I personally love the TE37's myself and want to get it for my car too, but if you get rims you must lower your car or else you look like a fool. For a decent look nothing over the top you can get some 18"x8 with an offset of +35 will look good. Might need to roll guards depending how low your car goes.

Tein Super Street decent quality and lowers your car just enough, unless your going for a fully sick look then you need to go other brands or monoflex.

I understand you want performance increase and minimal noise on the exhaust, but unfortunately that's not how exhaust works. However, the exhaust on the euro is good enough, even changing your exhaust to a skunk2 your power increase is not noticeable. Get some Toda headers if you really want power increase that you can feel.

supersaiyan
26-10-2012, 08:15 PM
if you have the budget i'll recommend the buddyclub n+, got some really good reviews on it and people recommend it! heeltoeauto.com is your answer 1.4k shipped :)

tony1234
29-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Do suspension 1st.Either Bilstein or Koni shocks with Eibach springs.This setup,for day to day driving shits all over any coilovers.Then headers,CT (Comptech)headers are good for price and performance.Then Icebox.That's it its an auto afterall.Forgot 18mm RSB best value mod!

CalebEuro
29-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Had a bit of a look around on ebay today:

Coilovers:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181006053929?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1969wt_1164

CAI:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280944626968?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_5855wt_1164

Rims:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400332778723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_20110wt_4058

And found this XCarlink, so I can just keep the stock headunit:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400332778723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_20110wt_4058

And thoughts?

Fredoops
29-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Had a bit of a look around on ebay today:

Coilovers:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181006053929?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1969wt_1164

CAI:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280944626968?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_5855wt_1164

Rims:

And found this XCarlink, so I can just keep the stock headunit:

And thoughts?

Coilovers:
decent, shop around a bit more, ask "Senna" from wholesale suspension for prices (trader here).
also BYP is selling GAB SS (Not GAB Japan, GAB taiwan) for $1100, just ask for tax invoice

CAI:
yep that's fine. cheap enough and would make same power as the injen if not more (K&N filter on it is a bonus)

RIMS:
Try www.tirerack.com
Their shipping to Australia is $100 per corner (ie: approx $400 in total).. GET Wheel and Tyre packages, works out much better value (because tyres are much cheaper in the USA)

19x8.5 +32, do you really need that wide and big (we'll 8.5 is techanically illegal anyway...)? 19's a bit out there for the CL9... but it'd down to tastes i guess

Xcarlink:
I got a eBay no-brand unit that works just as well for $80.

Bigpauly2788
02-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Im selling my WORK Meisters off my CL9. Call 0435617225

xenonkuraz
02-11-2012, 09:01 PM
i. Don't take any of the advice on here when they say things like 'it's an auto, don't do it'
ii. I respect the fact that you're willing not to lower it, and against what everyone else says you CAN pull off nice rims on standard ride height

1. You can go as aggressive as 17x8.5 with only fender tucking, I've done it on my mate's CL9. You COULD try 17x9 but I'm sure you'll need camber work. Look around a +30 offset.
2. Fascia from ebay, what audio set up is really up to you and your budget.
3. It's worth it, even for the induction noise alone and the VTEC crossover. Performance gains are minimal, but you'll still love the placebo effect of thinking its an added +20kw when you hear it. For better induction noise, get a short ram. Heaps of good branded ones on ebay.
4. You don't want something raspy or drony but with a decent mid tone, I would suggest going Magnaflow catback (must include a mid muffler/resonator) for around $400 installed. Cheaper if you got an axel-back but that would most likely utilise the standard resonator (more quiet, less flow).

Hope this helps, and last bit of advice - do what YOU want to do to your car. Have fun doing things by yourself (or with help when you need it). It's a rewarding experience!

ExpressCoffee
03-11-2012, 12:54 PM
i. Don't take any of the advice on here when they say things like 'it's an auto, don't do it'
ii. I respect the fact that you're willing not to lower it, and against what everyone else says you CAN pull off nice rims on standard ride height

1. You can go as aggressive as 17x8.5 with only fender tucking, I've done it on my mate's CL9. You COULD try 17x9 but I'm sure you'll need camber work. Look around a +30 offset.
3. It's worth it, even for the induction noise alone and the VTEC crossover. Performance gains are minimal, but you'll still love the placebo effect of thinking its an added +20kw when you hear it. For better induction noise, get a short ram. Heaps of good branded ones on ebay.
4. You don't want something raspy or drony but with a decent mid tone, I would suggest going Magnaflow catback (must include a mid muffler/resonator) for around $400 installed. Cheaper if you got an axel-back but that would most likely utilise the standard resonator (more quiet, less flow).

Hope this helps, and last bit of advice - do what YOU want to do to your car. Have fun doing things by yourself (or with help when you need it). It's a rewarding experience!

Sorry to interrupt, but that Magnaflow catback, what model exactly would I want if going for one on a CU2?

xenonkuraz
03-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Call your nearest exhaust store for an exact fitment (they may not have a CU2 specific system yet) otherwise you could just get a universal muffler with a flange welded on.

Here's how mine sounded before turbo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO45X3fV0Lw

Good quality for the price.

Bigpauly2788
05-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Who wants to buy Work Meisters with rubber for 2k + cl9 stockies ? Call 0435617225

CalebEuro
05-11-2012, 06:13 PM

Sounds like decent advice.
Been trying to find TE37 Style or Silvia Style Rims around that size of 17x8.5 +30, best I can come up with so far is something like 17x9 +25 or +35, which as you said would be to big correct?

Who wants to buy Work Meisters with rubber for 2k + cl9 stockies ? Call 0435617225
Please post this some where else.