PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] Pop sensation/noise when slowing down then speeding up

peetah
26-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Recently noticed something odd in my car...

When slowing down for something like a round-a-bout and then taking back off I can feel/hear a slight pop/donk if I step on the accelerator to speed up slightly and then let off it. Doesn't seem to happen if I come to a complete stop or if I power through till the next gear though. Only ever happens in what I think is second gear but could be first. '06 Automatic with almost 85000 km if that helps at all.

My thinking is that it happens if I let off the accelerator at a certain rpm. I notice it from time to time when I'm accelerating up to someone then letting off when I get close enough as well as slowing for traffic at a red light, having it turn green, speeding up to catch up with traffic and letting go.

Had the transmission fluid changed already so really hope that's not it. Based on the fact that it only happens in certain situations as opposed to a certain speed don't think it could be axle related. Getting a feeling it's got something to do with a/f. Feels kind of like it's dumping excess fuel but I don't know if that's something these cars do...

Anyone with any ideas as to the cause? Is it possible that the car is just like that and I never noticed it until now? Going to try disconnecting my battery this weekend and seeing if I still get the same results after a reset.

Apologies if this is covered in another post. Not an easy thing to search up when the issue itself is difficult to describe.

akina
26-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Can you feel the pop coming from the front of the car or underneath?

When you say "pop", first thing comes to my mind is back fire from the exhaust. You running any after market exhaust or hi flow cat?

And are you running in "D" or tiptronic?

peetah
26-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Regular D mode.

Only mod I've got on is the CT Icebox intake. I THINK it's coming from the front but I could be wrong there. Not a very loud pop/donk/clunk sound but if you're listening for it you can tell it's there. I think I can feel it under my left foot when I drive but could be subconscious. (I rest my foot in front of the dead pedal with my knee bent when I drive)

aaronng
27-10-2012, 01:56 AM
Could be either a worn engine mount or suspension bush.

peetah
28-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Sounds more like a hollow pop, could it still be mounts or bushings? Need to test more but it could be when the car jerks after letting off the accelerator at a certain speed.

ryaan
28-10-2012, 05:52 PM
checked engine mounts?

peetah
28-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Would anyone have a link or instructions on how to check? Or is it more a case of something you need to replace to see if it works?

akina
01-11-2012, 07:01 PM
look for any cracks on the mounts or around it

smgl3r
01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
I have a similar issue. But mine's more like a rumbling noise (as if a rock is rolling in a pipe) following the initial grinding noise. It doesn't happen all the time but usually at low speeds and sometimes when accelerating from a standstill. Weirdly enough it only happens when I accelerate slowly and not when I floor it :S Taking it to the mechanic on Saturday to have it checked. Will post if I find out something useful.

aaronng
02-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Revisiting the pop noise, does it seem to sound like a metallic tap noise that happens just once and sounds like it was coming from inside the cabin?

peetah
02-11-2012, 09:32 AM
It's extremely hard to describe but IMO sounds more hollow than metallic. I'll try and get a recording but I seriously doubt I'll be able to capture it. Think of a bubble popping but deeper/muffled and louder.

I can definitely feel something when the pop occurs in my left foot. Seems to be when the car "jerks" but only at a certain speed/acceleration combo. Could be me trying to justify the idea that it's an engine mount issue but I don't get the vibration/rattles which supposedly come with blown/worn engine mounts.

FWIW I've disconnected the battery for an hour and reconnected; didn't help.

aaronng
02-11-2012, 11:29 AM
It's extremely hard to describe but IMO sounds more hollow than metallic. I'll try and get a recording but I seriously doubt I'll be able to capture it. Think of a bubble popping but deeper/muffled and louder.

I can definitely feel something when the pop occurs in my left foot. Seems to be when the car "jerks" but only at a certain speed/acceleration combo. Could be me trying to justify the idea that it's an engine mount issue but I don't get the vibration/rattles which supposedly come with blown/worn engine mounts.

FWIW I've disconnected the battery for an hour and reconnected; didn't help.

If you can feel it by your foot, then I'm inclined to inspect the engine and transmission mounts. The CL9 previously had an issue with a hollow metallic pop sound when going over rough roads or speed bumps. It came from the rear parcel shelf flexing, but you would only hear the sound and never physically felt it.

peetah
02-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks aaronng, I'll take a look at the mounts to see for signs of wear and tear over the weekend.

Based on what I can't tell do you guys think there's any chance of it being transmission/engine related? I can live with the sound in the short term but don't want to damage anything if it can be avoided.

kristrifo
03-11-2012, 09:06 PM
since we're on the topic...

i get like a pop song similar to a bang almost whenever im in tiptronic mode and i shift on the rev limiter

sorry if im vague here

anything to be concerned about?

smgl3r
03-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Well I went to the workshop today. Apparently I have a very slight leak in the exhaust. Will take it to the exhaust shop to confirm and fix it. But for some reason I don't buy it due to the fact that it doesn't happen all the time and only happens under slow/medium throttle acceleration. Any thoughts?