PDA

View Full Version : NSW Safety cameras

Grayfox
26-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Last week i was slowing down from an 80 to 60 zone and i went through the intersection at 70 while green, from what i heard these cameras are now also speed cameras.

or does the camera only care if you are speeding during amber/red.

butterfingers
26-10-2012, 03:23 PM
no, they catch u even when its green

Grayfox
26-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Well i hope they have good leeway and i know my speedo is out by a few km/h from the factory.

CrystalSkull
27-10-2012, 11:52 AM
From factory an Si '10 speedo will over-read by around 4km/h. On the freeway with cruise set to 104 consistently I overtake cars near speed cameras - do 90% of drivers have speed camera paranoia? Drivers need knowledge of their car, coupled with knowledge and practice of driving within road rules. Desirable for drivers would be to have a bit more love toward their fellow drivers, would possibly make the roads a better place.

curtis265
27-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Good post Crystalskull, this paranoia of speed cameras is getting beyond ridiculous.

sensei_
27-10-2012, 01:27 PM
see camera = slam brake pedal these days. heck, even a cop car causes traffic to come to a screeching halt. and the cops love to play the game. often you see cop cars sitting on 95kmh on the freeway, and everyone else goes 85kmh.

CrystalSkull
27-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Sensei, best/worse I've seen of that is a police sitting on a bike with a radar at the top of a long on-ramp to a dual-carriage way posted at 90, as I exited the ramp I was overtaking/merging ahead of cars on the road because these fools were slowing down. Wah wah police paranoia.

Grayfox
27-10-2012, 04:44 PM
From factory an Si '10 speedo will over-read by around 4km/h. On the freeway with cruise set to 104 consistently I overtake cars near speed cameras - do 90% of drivers have speed camera paranoia? Drivers need knowledge of their car, coupled with knowledge and practice of driving within road rules. Desirable for drivers would be to have a bit more love toward their fellow drivers, would possibly make the roads a better place.

only 4km/h at 100.

at slower speeds it is less.

Which leads me to think it is a % rather than a set amount.

CrystalSkull
27-10-2012, 04:52 PM
True, thanks for correcting me :)

curtis265
27-10-2012, 07:53 PM
funnily enough it's alwasy been 4km/h in the civic FD but a % difference in any older cars i've driven

Grayfox
27-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I have an FK not a FD.

FK2 is the civic hatch with the R18A2 engine.

I think i my be the only member here that has one.

sensei_
27-10-2012, 09:39 PM
the legend reads ~10% less. which i have no problems with that margin.

curtis265
28-10-2012, 10:34 AM
I have an FK not a FD.

FK2 is the civic hatch with the R18A2 engine.

I think i my be the only member here that has one.

I am aware of that (saw your detailing and your profile on the left). I made the assumption that they do similar things

CrystalSkull
28-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi Grayfox, regardless of your model make, i.e. FD vs FK:

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/speedo_accuracy

From 1 July 2006 newly introduced models of a vehicle available on the market must comply with ADR 18/03. Also, from 1 July 2007 any newly manufactured vehicle (excluding mopeds) must comply with this rule.

This new rule requires that the speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent plus 4 km/h. Significantly, this change means that speedos must always read 'safe', meaning that the vehicle's true speed must not be higher than the speed indicated by the speedo.

That is, at a true vehicle speed of 100km/h the speedo must read between 100km/h and 114km/h. An alternative way to look at it is; at an indicated speed of 100km/h, the vehicle's true speed must be between 86 km/h and 100km/h.

I hope this clarifies things, and that you don't get a ticket (as you wrote you were slowing down) :)

Grayfox
01-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Since my car is made in the UK, i do not know if they use specialized parts during manufacturing of it but under UK law it is 10%+4km/h

"The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended, allows the use of speedometers that meet the requirements of EC Community Directive 75/443(97/39) or ECE Regulations 39. Both the EC Directive and the ECE Regulation lay down accuracy requirements to be applied at the time of vehicle approval for speedometers. These requirements are that the indicated speed must not be more than 10 per cent of the true speed plus 4km/h (2.5 mph)." "In production, however, a slightly different tolerance of 5 per cent plus 10 km/h (6 mph) is applied" "The requirements are also that the indicated speed must never be less than the true speed. A vehicle meeting these requirements would not be able to travel at a greater speed than that shown on the speedometer and a driver could not, therefore, inadvertently exceed speed restrictions. Her Majesty's Government have no plans to introduce instrument tests"

Which seems to be the same as the australian one.

If i do get a ticket, ill appeal it.
I was slowing down and have a clean record.

Well no ticket yet
And i cant even check my demerits on the RTA site as my account is "locked" and i could not be bothered to call them and unlock it.

curtis265
01-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Since my car is made in the UK, i do not know if they use specialized parts during manufacturing of it but under UK law it is 10%+4km/h

this is not necessarily the case.

manufacturers adapt their vehicles to suit the market.

so if your block of text is compliant with our equivalent block of text, it'll get through

Grayfox
16-11-2012, 11:24 PM
No fine as of yet.