PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on brakes

catacaustic
27-10-2012, 09:47 PM
I've got a situation where my front brakes are basically shot. After replacing the pads all around less then 2 years ago, and having the discs machined, I've started getting some shuddering coming through the steering when I brake.

When I had a look, it's obvious why... and I'm not happy about it. Both front rotors have very severe groves dug into them and that's what's causing the shudders under braking.

So... I now know that I need to replace at least the front rotors, but because I don't like to trust things that have played up before, I don't want to stop there. For my own peace of mind I want to do all pads to make sure that I get good ones, as well as at least front rotors but probably also rear rotors as well just in case.

So, to my question finally! Where can I get a good deal on new brake rotors and pads? to be honest I'd be happy with the real OEM stuff as that seems to be some of teh better options, but I'm also happy to look at other options as well.

VeYzZii
27-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Hey mate. Where you using Bendix pads by any chance?
Sorry for no input in the answer, my best guess would be eBay though :)

connorling
27-10-2012, 10:47 PM
PM JDM yard, he has been very helpful and willing to do a deal on certain products.
very helpful guy!
do suggest get new pads, EBC green or red or Project mu SS-Y, which i use on my EG track car, and its not bad so far after 3 track days/nights

I've got a situation where my front brakes are basically shot. After replacing the pads all around less then 2 years ago, and having the discs machined, I've started getting some shuddering coming through the steering when I brake.

When I had a look, it's obvious why... and I'm not happy about it. Both front rotors have very severe groves dug into them and that's what's causing the shudders under braking.

So... I now know that I need to replace at least the front rotors, but because I don't like to trust things that have played up before, I don't want to stop there. For my own peace of mind I want to do all pads to make sure that I get good ones, as well as at least front rotors but probably also rear rotors as well just in case.

So, to my question finally! Where can I get a good deal on new brake rotors and pads? to be honest I'd be happy with the real OEM stuff as that seems to be some of teh better options, but I'm also happy to look at other options as well.

DreadAngel
28-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Are you going to track it? Super Street drive it [Lol, think spirited driving]

Or just cruising?

Do squeals annoy you? [more serious pads do have tendency to squeal @ cold temps and also braking power]

stndrd
28-10-2012, 03:54 PM
If you are looking to track and are wanting to upgrade calipers as well, I can supply a 4 pot caliper kit for you with 330mm or 355mm rotors. PM for further details

aozora
28-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I think before making any silly suggestions, what are you doing with the car?
Daily/Street only? Show queen? Track monster? Daily/Track?

curtis265
28-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I think before making any silly suggestions, what are you doing with the car?
Daily/Street only? Show queen? Track monster? Daily/Track?

this is always the best question to ask before giving advice

onya

catacaustic
29-10-2012, 08:36 PM
To everyone that's replied, my S2000 is a daily driver. I can give it a bit of a boot every now and then, but it's the car that I take everywhere and do everything with. This means... No 4-pot calipers (sticking with the standard wheels), no drilled/slotted/etc rotors as they are really only for track work, or just a bit of eye-candy. The most important thing for me is to make sure that it works. Brakes are one thing that I don't like to cut corners on.

The place that did them had their own "super quality (my words not theirs as I can't remember the exact name they used) pads that were supposed to be the best that they could offer. I am not certain if these pads have caused the grooves in the rotors, but it's just a little to convenient that both front rotors have come up with it now after about 18 months of wear. That's really the only thing that I have a problem with, even though it is a very big problem. There's little dust, good stopping power, and no noise from them. I just don't want to end up with the brakes falling apart on me.

DC5.Raven
29-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Well if you want OEM then the cheapest you're going get is from www.oemacuraparts.com

Otherwise, if you're keen for aftermarket then others have named a few places to go.

curtis265
29-10-2012, 09:33 PM
rotor grooves aren't necessasrily an issue, it's the contact patch with the pad that's the key - if both the pad and rotor have the same 'pattern' as such, then you'll get good braking

In your situation i'd just machine the rotors an get some good street pads - OEM is a good option, but if that's a bit pricey i'd try some other oem replacement. I'm trying bendix general CT at the moment, they're pretty good

catacaustic
30-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Machining the rotors isn't really an option at this stage. The rotors are the original ones that have been on the car since it was new, and they've been machined a few times already from what I can see. To get past the grooves in them now would take them down around 0.5mm on each side, and I am not confident that I could take that much away from rotors that have already had some material removed before. Also, for the cost of machining them again it's not that far from buying a new set of rotors and knowing that they'll be fine. If it was just a groove I wouldn't be quite so worried, but when I brake and I can feel both front callipers shuddering I know that there needs to be some work done to get it to be as it should be.

I'll have a look at oemacuraparts.com and see what they've got, and how much delivery is going to be. If that works out well I'll be going for that. At least then I'll know that it's back to where it should be. I have no problem with aftermarket gear, but the majority of the stuff that I've seen is geared towards street/track or just purely track work, and that just doesn't suit the way that my car is used. It also doesn't look like there's really not that much of a difference in price between that and the OEM gear.

trism
30-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Just replace the rotors with a decent aftermarket alternative, like DBA or TRW, and a set of Decent pads.

curtis265
31-10-2012, 01:12 AM
ah, with rotors just go for a set of DBAs as trism has suggested, you can't go wrong with them.

blabla
31-10-2012, 06:39 PM
GSL Rally, bought some dba street series for my ej8 120 for them and 45 for QFM superX compounds. So give the a shot

DreadAngel
31-10-2012, 09:26 PM
To OP, if the rotors are grooved, its possible that the pads that were fitted might have been too aggressive for the stock rotors? Since I assume the grooving happened over time rather than recent so the pads can't be too aggressive though? 18mths is. Unfortunately to improve braking performance, usually pads get more aggressive and therefore wear the rotors down more.

There are quite a few pads that cater for your requirement [Everything OEM is but better]

e.g Endless - NS97, SSM [I'm not familiar with Aussie brands]