PDA

View Full Version : Brake Softens Once In A While**

zapantalambda
30-10-2012, 05:45 PM
hello all of you mates in this forum. how are you goin. hows things?

mates i got a big problem with my brakes and i experienced this one quite often now and im very concerned about this coz its affecting my road safety.

you see, everytime i drive 90kph or higher, say in the freeway or normal road, everytime i apply the brakes, quite often than not, i experience this softening of my brakes everytime i stepped on the pedal.

the feeling is so strange and scary coz it's like, stepping on the pedal with no brakes at all. there's no resistance, there's no friction. as if there's no contact. and then, in order for my brakes to hold, i still need to step on it for the 2nd time and then as a result of that, the brakes become effective again.

it is so strange and not very safe at all. the brake problem makes my civic unreliable and dangerous now.

i want to consult a mechanic on my dayoff but before that, can anyone please tell me the specific name/description of this kind of car problem?
has anyone of you here experience the same problem as what i have experienced?
What might be the problem of my brake system? -specific part-.

Please tell me what you think mates. I'll appreciate all your inputs and replies.
Thanks mates.

dc2r-0636
30-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Sounds like u need to bleed your brake oil

Or you can

Replace ur brake oil with new oil if u want

androo
30-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Yes, try bleeding your brakes. But definitely take it to a mechanic as soon as you can. If it was me I would not drive it until I either take it to a mechanic or fix it myself.

zapantalambda
30-10-2012, 06:40 PM
@dc2r-0636, @androo

i already serviced my civic at MIDAS last week.
i felt the difference on my brakes for a day but after that, i experienced the same braking problem again.
they changed the brake fluid as well.

grifty
30-10-2012, 06:41 PM
how much kms on your car? Could be a leaky master cylinder..

zapantalambda
30-10-2012, 08:02 PM
how much kms on your car? Could be a leaky master cylinder..

230,000+.

dc2r-0636
30-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Yeh most likely a leaking bmc if its feeling that way again

grifty
30-10-2012, 09:12 PM
230,000+.

sounds like your master cylinder is on its way out especially with thay many kms, you should be able to find a brand new aftermarket unit for a decent price.

connorling
30-10-2012, 10:08 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?169540-bmc-and-brake-booster

connorling
30-10-2012, 10:09 PM
happened to me before.
exactly same. there is a leak in your system, brake master cylinder or the prop. valve located on your firewall, there are the common place for leak.

have a look and see if there is oil on your firewall, should be in the centre.

zapantalambda
31-10-2012, 03:38 AM
happened to me before.
exactly same. there is a leak in your system, brake master cylinder or the prop. valve located on your firewall, there are the common place for leak.

have a look and see if there is oil on your firewall, should be in the centre.

thanks for your idea mate. at least now i can tell the mechanic the possible areas of concern for my civic. :)

connorling
31-10-2012, 10:06 AM
thanks for your idea mate. at least now i can tell the mechanic the possible areas of concern for my civic. :)

good luck, because back then when this happened to me, i took it to the shop, they said i have to replace front rotor, front brake pads, rear drum brake shoes and cylinders.......
after $800 and still didnt solve the problem, took it to my friend, he straight away tell me the prop valve is leaking. fixed that and no more spongy paddle.

since then, i dont trust what mechanic said from big shops like Auto Master, etc.

zapantalambda
31-10-2012, 10:18 PM
good luck, because back then when this happened to me, i took it to the shop, they said i have to replace front rotor, front brake pads, rear drum brake shoes and cylinders.......
after $800 and still didnt solve the problem, took it to my friend, he straight away tell me the prop valve is leaking. fixed that and no more spongy paddle.

since then, i dont trust what mechanic said from big shops like Auto Master, etc.

Mate the good thing is, I got an idea now on possible areas or thing to do on my civic.

That would be:
1. Prop valve
2. break master cylinder or
3. bleeding the brakes.

Also, Thanks for giving me the right description of this kind of problem. -Spongy Brakes- That is.
So im gonna hit the autoshop and see how it goes.

@All - mates im gonna update you on the progress.

connorling
01-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Mate the good thing is, I got an idea now on possible areas or thing to do on my civic.

That would be:
1. Prop valve
2. break master cylinder or
3. bleeding the brakes.

Also, Thanks for giving me the right description of this kind of problem. -Spongy Brakes- That is.
So im gonna hit the autoshop and see how it goes.

@All - mates im gonna update you on the progress.

keep us update

Drifter995
05-11-2012, 01:26 AM
I had a similar thing in my eg, it'd be fine 90% of the time, then if I'd been driving for a while, or if it was hot, the pedal would just go to the floor.... still a tiny bit of brake left, but not much. Pump it whilst I'm stopped, and it's back to normal. Never got around to fixing it... Car got written off after it tried to fight a lamp post. Needless to say, the post lost.

zapantalambda
05-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Update:

unfortunately still i dont have the chance to send my civic to the emergency room but i went to Bridgestone Campbelltown on saturday
and i told steve that i will let their mechanic check it on my next dayoff.

Latest Thing I have done: Wheel Alignment + Nitrogen Inflation + Tyre Black + Carwash

aznstyler
08-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I had a similar thing in my eg, it'd be fine 90% of the time, then if I'd been driving for a while, or if it was hot, the pedal would just go to the floor.... still a tiny bit of brake left, but not much. Pump it whilst I'm stopped, and it's back to normal. Never got around to fixing it... Car got written off after it tried to fight a lamp post. Needless to say, the post lost.

I got the same problem, what causes this?

zapantalambda
28-11-2012, 08:34 PM
dayuuum spongy brakes almost put me in trouble a while ago. =/

GU357
06-12-2012, 04:56 AM
I had a similar thing in my eg, it'd be fine 90% of the time, then if I'd been driving for a while, or if it was hot, the pedal would just go to the floor.... still a tiny bit of brake left, but not much. Pump it whilst I'm stopped, and it's back to normal. Never got around to fixing it... Car got written off after it tried to fight a lamp post. Needless to say, the post lost.I got the same problem, what causes this?

its because the post is much stronger then the car! and its mounted to the ground through the ground so it has better footing then a 1000kg rolling tin cage on 4 rubber tyres.

GU357
06-12-2012, 04:58 AM
anyway, Zeplintigerbumbda did u get this fixed?

zapantalambda
06-12-2012, 08:54 PM
finish mate. i went to isons and they changed the BMC already. :)

GU357
06-12-2012, 09:00 PM
good inpho guise and gerls