PDA

View Full Version : B18 head on a B16 block.

GU357
03-11-2012, 04:39 PM
What is required??
I'm looking to put a B18CR head onto a B16 block.
Met a bloke that owns a engine Head rebuilding business.
and he says he has a heap of honda Heads out the back, just curious as if I were to end up with a B18CR head or B16A head from a later model (I have a Gen 1 B16A).
What else would I need?

New ECU
the other intake manifold (non PGMFI)

Or would it better to steal cams and do a OBD1 Conversion to chuck on a Hondata and get tune.

need some advice.

Really CBF changine the shortblock, rather keep the B16 because the stroke is shorter so its revs better, even though there's less stroke.

na-118
03-11-2012, 04:44 PM
are you going force induction or something?

EKVTIR-T
03-11-2012, 04:44 PM
The b16a head is almost as good as the type r anyway,personally I wouldnt bother

Just put in the r spec cams,its proven to perform well and together with all the usual i/h/e tune its a nice package

Do a search and have a look at the bseries head specs and differences :)

GU357
03-11-2012, 04:52 PM
no plans to turbo as of yet, really want to do a NA build rather. possibly ITB's in future. maybe even shave the head down a bit to make higher compression.
so I want to get cams that are gonna feed it. also it means they can port the head whilst i still have the car, then swap over later.

GU357
03-11-2012, 05:02 PM
The b16a head is almost as good as the type r anyway,personally I wouldnt bother

Just put in the r spec cams,its proven to perform well and together with all the usual i/h/e tune its a nice package

Do a search and have a look at the bseries head specs and differences :)

Just to swap cams would i have to change the ECU?
currently kicks in at 4800-5000 vtek. would the computer go all skitzo with not knowing how much fuel to put in and that?
different injectors?

would probably need the rev limiter taken from 8 to 8500
"

na-118
03-11-2012, 05:06 PM
you will need to get it tuned.

will you be going itr valve springs as well?

GU357
03-11-2012, 07:44 PM
alright, next week ill see what hes got.
because he said he had lots of Honda Heads, that just arent sorted.

is it worth it if the best i can find are b18c2 cams? since b18c2 has a pretty average kick in.

Even b16a2 cams would be an improvement on what i already have, which are the first cam shafts and apparantly wear out the fastest

Jasemas
03-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Be careful with porting man
As doing it wrong/too smoth can ruin air flow etc. :P
Best get it done professionally
If you do put on a new head and get everything done - might as well go with a better camshaft?
And before you do anything - have you done a compression check/leak down test?

stndrd
04-11-2012, 12:01 AM
If you have access to a B16A or B18CR cylinder head, why not pick up a B20 bottom end and build a B20/Vtec one for cheap?

GU357
04-11-2012, 12:18 AM
thats a good point. since its the same mounts.
but this guy does heads, and i know him quite well. changing the bottom can be for another time.
How much HP gain?

also the porting will be professional, thats what they do.
thinking, for the mean time, just get it ported, valve seats done to open quickly (ie seats not perfect parallel) and shave the head a lil bit to increase compression.

in the future b20 bottom block, from a newer motor and then will be good for rego-ing

stndrd
04-11-2012, 09:17 AM
There is no point carrying out a port & polish job if you are not going to be A: increasing compression B: heavily upgrading camshafts C: increasing displacement

Honda cylinder heads are one of the best flowing heads ever designed, so unless you are doing 2 of the 3 things I mentioned above, save yourself some coin.

I still think instead of opening up the B16 you have now to put a B18CR head, you will be better off just building a B20/Vtec, especially if you are looking at going down the ITB + camshaft route later. You will see much better gains, both HP & NM this way than you will with a B16

dougie_504
04-11-2012, 09:38 AM
WOTAM. Use your B16 head for a b20 frank as said previously.

B18CR blocks are balanced and honed from factory so rev out very well, although the B16 is good because of the 78mm stroke, so I'd never pick a B16 block for that reason alone.

Type R head is overpriced and overrated IMO. Port and cam the b16 head and you'll be fine. However I believe the ITR TB/IM setup is still one of the best when port matched so if you can get your hands on one of those it'd be nice on either a b16 or b20.

connorling
04-11-2012, 11:21 PM
dont see the advantage to swap the b18cR head to your b16a when the b16a head is pretty good and very similar to b18cr head.
i would rather spend that money on cams, cam gears, valve springs and retainer and power FC and tune.

i dont think any good/trustworthy mechanic in WA can polish heads and give decent results.
i would have recommanded cypher if Zack didnt leave :(

What is required??
I'm looking to put a B18CR head onto a B16 block.
Met a bloke that owns a engine Head rebuilding business.
and he says he has a heap of honda Heads out the back, just curious as if I were to end up with a B18CR head or B16A head from a later model (I have a Gen 1 B16A).
What else would I need?

New ECU
the other intake manifold (non PGMFI)

Or would it better to steal cams and do a OBD1 Conversion to chuck on a Hondata and get tune.

need some advice.

Really CBF changine the shortblock, rather keep the B16 because the stroke is shorter so its revs better, even though there's less stroke.

GU357
04-11-2012, 11:54 PM
well ill see what i find.
Im going to get the work done at discounted price, but i was thinking for the mean time to shave the head and get some more compression, and clean the ports and have the valve seats done.
and then eventually drop a b20 short motor in.

what ECU would i need for the frankenstein?

stndrd
05-11-2012, 12:13 AM
You can run a OBDI S300 (which I am able to supply) or a P28/P72 with a Neptune flash

connorling
05-11-2012, 01:26 AM
only All star can tune hondata.
and good luck with them working on honda, since they dont take honda seriously.

Im going to get the work done at discounted price, but i was thinking for the mean time to shave the head and get some more compression, and clean the ports and have the valve seats done.

connorling
05-11-2012, 01:27 AM
only All star can tune hondata.
and good luck with them working on honda, since they dont take honda seriously.
just speaking from experience.

GU357
05-11-2012, 03:14 AM
yeh no one in perth will do hondata properly.

if i do a cam swap how would i tune my ecu without changing it connor? power fc? wok on obd0