PDA

View Full Version : NSW Registering an engine swap under new laws.

jajaja
04-11-2012, 02:52 AM
Hey guys. I know this has been covered plenty of times but with all the new laws being introduced I want to make sure before I go ahead with anything.

So the deal is that I'm looking to buy my mates car with an engine swap. The motor has not been registered and I'm thinking about how to get that done. Now the car is an EK1 with a B18C7. I've done a lot of reading which has led me to believe that this swap is legal as it lies under the 15% displacement law (1.6 - 1.8). So all I would need is a blueslip, right?

But in one particular thread that I read a new law states that there cannot be a 15% increase in MAX POWER as well as engine capacity. This threw me off a bit as I have never heard of that law so I just want to get it all cleared up from you guys.

Thanks.

na-118
04-11-2012, 11:43 AM
apparently somewhere .

you will not be able to register a motor to the car unless the motor has been produced for the chassis from factory, in saying that engineering certs will allow it to

not 100% sure.

if the old law still applies, you will need proof of purchase of the engine with name, date, kms, and all details relating to that engine. you will provide that to the mechanic which will then assess it and swap the engine number over

jajaja
05-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Isnt that only in QLD? Not sure.. Does anyone else know any info about this?

EG52NV
05-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Have also seen a few threads about this new law revolving power differences requiring engineers cert

jajaja
07-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Bump. Anyone got any info on these new rules?

u mad?
07-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Wait, what new laws?

jajaja
09-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Apparently you need to engineer your car if you wanna register the motor to the chassis if you have a larger than 15% gain in max power.

bennjamin
15-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Apparently you need to engineer your car if you wanna register the motor to the chassis if you have a larger than 15% gain in max power.

It is or was equal to or less than 15% displacement - not power.

Engineering needs to be done if its larger , as the brakes need to be equal to what came with the original engines chassis.