PDA

View Full Version : can anyone recommend good h1 globes?

as001
16-03-2005, 08:24 AM
hey guys,
looking at upgrading the high beams can anyone recommend a blub that provides a look to match the low beam HID look, looked at some piaa globes which look great but the price was a bit much...
cheers

LOC888
16-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Phillips...

industrie
16-03-2005, 08:37 AM
phillips..but theres no real point in upgrading the high beams..the HID's do a great job already

as001
16-03-2005, 08:40 AM
i guess its more for cosmetics looks then anything else

EuroAccord13
16-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Osram/Hella

euro77
16-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Phillips...

bah.. my philips went out not even a year :(

VirIIx
16-03-2005, 05:07 PM
i looked at phillips, i want piaa's maybe

viperx
16-03-2005, 08:23 PM
i've got piaas. i suggest you get them. what is an extra 20 or 30 dollars when you get the best globes in the world.

SSML
16-03-2005, 08:53 PM
i've got piaas. i suggest you get them. what is an extra 20 or 30 dollars when you get the best globes in the world.

what type PIAA bulbs hav u got?

also H1 only has 1 flat metal terminal, is that correct?

as001
16-03-2005, 09:35 PM

only and extra 20 - 30 bucks!?! where do you get your piaa globes from i want in!

most places on the net ive seen have piaa globes prices around 200 aussie dollars

stephen8512
16-03-2005, 10:41 PM
sorry to be a bit off topic but with euros....lets say ur driving during the day....u wouldnt have ur headlights on unless u forgot to turn them off while driving into a tunnel or something...anyways.....when u have ur headlights off and u pull back the lever, the highbeam turns on right?....but on luxury models the HID's come on with it. is this the same for standard euros as well?

and also, HID's dont like to be turned on and off frequently....so is there any way of just gettin the highbeams to come on without the HID's?

again soryr to be off topic :P

viperx
16-03-2005, 11:25 PM
ha ha, sorry, i bought mine in japan :(

VirIIx
16-03-2005, 11:57 PM
i never knew the high beams also came on..

i'll have to test that myself and see :|

exISeuro
17-03-2005, 10:22 AM
phillips..but theres no real point in upgrading the high beams..the HID's do a great job already
I dont agree.

While the HIDs light up everything infront of you and provide excellent lighting in suburban conditions, when out on the freeway or in the twisties they can be given a boost.

In the twisties i cant get enough light. (My mates and i do 300km runs thru twisties for giggles approximately 3 out of 4 weeks).
Especially when on inclines/declines you cant see much ahead of you due to the cutoff of the HID's.
This is where high beam and the foggies help.
On the highway its always great to see those lane reflectors extra bright, showing the way.

I opted for function over aesthetics and went with the Osram Silverstars.
At the time only $13.xx each now $18.xx. The distance output of these bulbs seem better than stock.

Its great cause you can spot animals, road debris, generally anything ahead of you..... way ahead of you.

Aesthetically the osram silverstars are whiter that stock but still yellow. They arent a "HID look" bulb, they are specifically manufactured for distance.

I think this issue has been covered before though *unsure*.

Osram silverstars and osram "cool blue 4000k" (never tried these) are available at some repco's

I steer clear of the expensive Phillips halogens $1xx.00 for pretty ordinary product.

industrie
17-03-2005, 10:28 AM
the comment is based on the user posting not you driving around twisties, the country the bush wherever..yes if you do that kinda of driving..then yeah upgrade would help. but this guy is driving around the suburbs, city area..your not going to run over animals all the time

VirIIx
17-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I'd have to agree with exISeuro,

In the end, despite what brand you use just for a second.. Improving your Highbeams is useful. Although HID's are brighter there is an annoying cutoff range where the range is lower and shorter (for a lot of reasons of course, one being safety), whilst a halogen light bulb isn't as bright but has a futher range and is higher.

Effectively you see a bit more into the distance, even tho it's little, which is better than pitch black from HID.

You don't really notice this as much when doing city runs but when you hit the long stretch of freeways at night it makes a hell of a difference, and i found myself using the highbeams a bit more when no one was around just so i could see the side of the road and gain that extra 10-20m of extra distance ahead.

The fog lights don't do much but light up the sides of the viewing angle, so they help as well, but i rarely use them unless it's heavy rain.

just my 2 cents :)

as001, go with any brand that you like, most of them will matchup with the HID, whether it be Philip, Hella, Neovo or PIAA.

They will all acheive the same thing in the end (cosmetics) which is what you apprently seem to be aiming for, then go with whatever is most cost effective until you find yourself doing a lot more rigurous driving and upgrade then.

ROLLED
05-10-2005, 11:19 PM
A good set of HIDs is worth the extra cash, and when you think about it, with quality kits avaliable for only $400-500, you might as well get that rather then wasting money on high wattage bulbs or those crap phillips globes...considering they cost around $100 (the same price as a replacement HID bulb) you might as well go the whole kit...btw std bulbs last like 300-400 hours? or so, HID bulbs last well over 2000 hours, in the long run you'll save money, save time changeing globes and be rewarded with better light output...i would only say those phillips globes are good if u want to complement your HIDs and use them for fog lights or something, something where the light output isn't necessarily needed, rather for aesthetic purposes...

ROLLED
05-10-2005, 11:27 PM
I'd have to agree with exISeuro,

In the end, despite what brand you use just for a second.. Improving your Highbeams is useful. Although HID's are brighter there is an annoying cutoff range where the range is lower and shorter (for a lot of reasons of course, one being safety), whilst a halogen light bulb isn't as bright but has a futher range and is higher.

sorry but i think your getting confused with headlight designs as opposed to the type of bulb used, no matter what bulb in the same headlight housing will produce the same light pattern, HID of course will be brighter...In general there's 2 types of headlight housings, firstly you have your cheaper reflector lights where the beam is bounced back off the silver part...

Now its these type of lights that produce the spread light pattern from bulbs as they are not directed anywhere...and offer poorer visibility to projector lenses...

this is cheaper to manufacture and is more often then not used in conjunction with the H4 bulbs (high/low one bulb)...this presents cheaper manufacturing costs and is seen on cars like the honda Jazz and Hyundais etc...Preludes, civics and DC5 tegs also have this style of headlight but with single beam bulbs...

the other kind is projector beams generally seen on upper class european cars and the new holdens also have them...this is where the bulb sits behind a projector lense...and the beam pattern is more concentrated onto where its needed...the new cars also have lenses which give off a blue tinge when they go over bumps in the road!...aesthetically these look heaps better...they are on DC2s and S2000s...go figure...

ngupil
06-10-2005, 12:17 AM
Another thing that you should note, when you replace your stock globes with phillips, piaa, or anything else with 6000k or 8000k light output it can be dangerous. when there is a fog, especially during the night, with these kind of globes, the lights can be reflected back to you depending on the fog thickness. with the stock globes, the lights can penetrate the globes better, especially if you have fog lights