PDA

View Full Version : Caltex fuel compared to BP [fuel economy].

newpaddy3
04-11-2012, 09:38 PM
I own a 1997 Integra GSi, it has roughly 180Kkm on the odometer.

I used to always fill my car up with the 98 octane premium fuel from Caltex service stations because they just happened to be conveniently located just around the corner from my house.

A few months ago I decided to switch it up and exclusively buy 98 octane premium fuel from BP.

I'm not quite sure how, or why, but Caltex fuel does not last anywhere near as long as BP. I used to only get around 350km per tank. Never would I get around 400 or even close to that. From memory I believe the highest I got is around 380km. Since making the switch to BP fuel though, it far outperforms Caltex. I get 550km per tank on average. Last night when filling up I noted that I was around 580km off a single tank, the fuel light was coming on and off, but I would have achieved around 600km mark.

I'm not aware as to why Caltex is so lacking, but I will never purchase from them again. I've gained 200km+ per tank since switching to BP. I would not recommend buying Caltex fuel if you can avoid it.

EKVTIR-T
04-11-2012, 09:46 PM
I concur

BP ultimate gets the best mileage,been this way last 10yrs at least..

Glocker
04-11-2012, 10:37 PM
same. switched from shell to BP and never went back

charliebrown
04-11-2012, 10:41 PM
bp dont got 4c fuel discount from coles or woolies :thumbdwn:

khanguskhan
04-11-2012, 10:46 PM

better start grocery shopping at richies/IGA LOL

newpaddy3
04-11-2012, 10:48 PM

It equates to being around $0.17 per 1km for Caltex, and $0.10 per 1km for BP.

So I'm getting a 7c discount.

charliebrown
04-11-2012, 10:53 PM
better start grocery shopping at richies/IGA LOL

ohh shit just looked it up. haha didnt know BP had the fuel discount

madd

sensei_
04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
For those who love to buy fuel at BP, you can also consider the Citibank BP Credit Card (http://www.citibank.com.au/aus/credit_cards/cards_bp.htm)

PHO
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
For those who love to buy fuel at BP, you can also consider the Citibank BP Credit Card (http://www.citibank.com.au/aus/credit_cards/cards_bp.htm)

"The BP-Citibank MasterCard is no longer available." ?

RenzokukenJ
04-11-2012, 11:52 PM
how are you only getting 380kms anyway?

i get 550-600 from both BP or caltex.. even shell i get 550... maybe the caltex near you is dodgy as fek?

newpaddy3
04-11-2012, 11:56 PM
how are you only getting 380kms anyway?

i get 550-600 from both BP or caltex.. even shell i get 550... maybe the caltex near you is dodgy as fek?

I used to fill up from 3 different Caltex stations. They all produced the same result.

sensei_
05-11-2012, 12:32 AM
"The BP-Citibank MasterCard is no longer available." ?

hmmm... i got offered it a few months back. (existing citibank customer).

ouch
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
i used to fill up anywhere, but after that BP spill i thought i would help them out. I get a lot more out of a tank now.

and that BP fuel discount - only in WA?

tiksie
05-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Been saying this for years in multiple threads. Everyone thought I was working for BP LOL! I wish I was, that way I could get cheaper fuel from them.

I'm a Shell hater because of how many pumps and filters have died on Shell fuel.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?164462-How-to-change-a-Fuel-Pump-on-a-EG-Civic-(Can-be-applied-to-most-other-Honda-s)

http://i.minus.com/ilFcLPao01Vnc.jpg

DreadAngel
05-11-2012, 01:01 PM
I like cool mint...

Anyway is there much difference between the petrol stations [fuel quality wise] that do offer the discount and don't?

Like the normal Caltex compared to the Woolies Caltex?

aaronng
05-11-2012, 01:51 PM
km numbers are all useless. You need to measure L/100km numbers for Caltex and BP so that we can compare.

trism
05-11-2012, 02:28 PM
1. any results found arent conclusive, and will depend on the servo you fill up at i.e are the tanks clean or not
2. km dont mean shizzle. I want proper L/100, and a description of your driving style, habits, and what roads you drive on (eg all highway 100km/h, only suburban 50/60 km/h, mix etc etc)
3. Even then, your results wont be conculsive unless you only fill to the first click, and thats it.

Ok, so back when i had my corolla with a 20v Black Top 4AGE (pretty much comparable to an audm b16) i did this test over a couple of months, with shell, bp, caltex and united, all 98 octane, all done trying to get the most accurate L/100km measurement.

I worked 50km away, which was pretty much 100km/h highway the whole time, and did some minor driving around town.

I used to be a massive BP fanboi, but then i decided to switch it up and try Shell.

BP id get about 9.8l/100km, shell id get about 8.7.

Caltex was farked, id get like 10.5l/100km

Not only this, but on the arse dyno, shell felt more responsive, and more go.

In saying all of this, i use United 100octane in the 180sx, and even with double the stock boost its mad.

lolmclol
05-11-2012, 03:02 PM
I concur

BP ultimate gets the best mileage,been this way last 10yrs at least..

amen to that.

I've tried shell and caltex, but nothing drives as nicely as BP ultimate.

lolmclol
05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
i used to fill up anywhere, but after that BP spill i thought i would help them out. I get a lot more out of a tank now.

and that BP fuel discount - only in WA?

Fuel discount? o.0

DreadAngel
05-11-2012, 03:12 PM
I think he means fill and drive away...

newpaddy3
05-11-2012, 03:20 PM
trism, what do you mean fill to the first click?

With Caltex I achieved around 11.6L/100km. BP is getting around 6.63L/100km.

I drive a mixture of 50/60km/h and 80/100km/h.

I would always put in approx 35L of fuel.

These are the locations of the Caltex stations I would use. Stations A and C on the map I'v used regularly within the past 5 months since moving house. They're all Caltex.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8156758134_97c3867a9a_b.jpg

dc2r-0636
05-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Regarding the Iga fuel discount it doesn't work
Like the Coles/wollies one.

The way it works is, for every litre of fuel u have u get 4cents off per dollar on ur Iga shopping bill..

So it's opposite to the others..
Source- I use to work at iga

tiksie
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
5.4L/100KM all highway with BPU.

Chances are that my car is running extremely lean haha, but these figures have been accurate for the past 2 years of driving.

Lowest would be On average I'd get 6L/100KM mixed driving.

D17 powah. Only use 98 octane wherever I purchase fuel from (Mobil/BP/Caltex) try to stick with BP as much as I can though.

IEVAQ8
05-11-2012, 06:06 PM
if u calculate wat u pay with a discount agains the kms u get

and compare wat u pay at bp without a discount and the kms u get...
u will find ur saving money anyways....lol

but, i have always and only eva used bp 98

people laughed at me wen i boosted my itr, everyone said i will struggle to get 300kms per tank,
but after it was tuned, it actually got betta fuel consumption than na on stock ecu...lol

BP 98 FTW

charliebrown
05-11-2012, 08:32 PM
trism, what do you mean fill to the first click?

da click bruz. use the same petrol station, same pump, always fill to same click. only way to get da accurate fuel consumption figures bruz, none of this 500km a tank garbage everyone talks about

wynode
05-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Thread moved. Not really a review.

tiksie
05-11-2012, 08:50 PM
da click bruz. use the same petrol station, same pump, always fill to same click. only way to get da accurate fuel consumption figures bruz, none of this 500km a tank garbage everyone talks about

I actually get close to 800 LOL :D

m3ntAL_l2
06-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Caltex, was purple when purchased ~3 weeks ago? and now has changed to pink/brown

http://i50.tinypic.com/ienpsg.jpg

Been saying this for years in multiple threads. Everyone thought I was working for BP LOL! I wish I was, that way I could get cheaper fuel from them.

I'm a Shell hater because of how many pumps and filters have died on Shell fuel.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?164462-How-to-change-a-Fuel-Pump-on-a-EG-Civic-(Can-be-applied-to-most-other-Honda-s)

http://i.minus.com/ilFcLPao01Vnc.jpg

JDM DC2R
06-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Caltex, was purple when purchased ~3 weeks ago? and now has changed to pink/brown

http://i50.tinypic.com/ienpsg.jpg

Should be tested in glass. The bottle will break down.

Also what fuel you guys think helps max power. Eg for drag strip

Fredoops
12-11-2012, 08:11 PM
hmmm which state you're in also impacts on what fuel you get....

NSW/VIC Shell is refined locally
TAS EVERYTHING is refined by shell @ Geelong, Vic , no matter what brand you get

QLD/NT Shell is shipped in from Singapore or some shit, which is why shell is so crappy up north, cause it aint "fresh"

RenzokukenJ
12-11-2012, 08:15 PM
hmmm which state you're in also impacts on what fuel you get....

NSW/VIC Shell is refined locally
TAS EVERYTHING is refined by shell @ Geelong, Vic , no matter what brand you get

QLD/NT Shell is shipped in from Singapore or some shit, which is why shell is so crappy up north, cause it aint "fresh"

What about WA?

Fredoops
12-11-2012, 08:20 PM
What about WA?

cant remember, read it in a royal commission on petrol prices or some shit a few year back.

lolmclol
12-11-2012, 08:24 PM
What about WA?

bp comes from kwinana I believe, only found this out after they had that "shortage" a few months ago.

others get trucked or have deals with bp I have a feeling.

mooshie
12-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Deals with bp for most other retailers in WA

Fredoops
12-11-2012, 08:37 PM
bp comes from kwinana I believe, only found this out after they had that "shortage" a few months ago.

others get trucked or have deals with bp I have a feeling.
heres a list of all oil refinaries in Australia.

Kwinana WA (BP)
Bulwer Island QLD (BP)
Lytton QLD (Caltex)
Clyde NSW (Shell)
Kurnell NSW (Caltex)
Geelong VIC (Shell)
Altona VIC (Mobil)

and read this: Source: http://www.accc.gov.au/content/item.phtml?itemId=806216&nodeId=d5fc6a56fb589b453abc58f22e0b78bd&fn=Petrol

terminals owned or leased by the refiner-marketers
BP
In Victoria, BP does not operate any terminals capable of receiving imports of unleaded petrol. However, it does import unleaded petrol into the Yarraville terminal through a joint terminal arrangement. The Yarraville terminal is operated by Mobil.

In Tasmania, BP operates terminals at Burnie and Hobart that are capable of receiving imports of unleaded petrol.

BP does not operate any terminals capable of receiving imports of unleaded petrol in New South Wales. BP does, however, import unleaded petrol into the Vopak facility at Port Botany.

In Queensland, BP operates terminals capable of receiving cargoes of unleaded petrol at Gladstone, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns. While BP has a terminal at Whinstanes in Brisbane, it is fed by local refineries.

BP does not operate any terminals in the Northern Territory, but it does import unleaded petrol at Vopak’s terminal in Darwin.

BP operates a number of terminals in Western Australia capable of receiving cargoes of unleaded petrol. These include Esperance, Geraldton, Port Hedland and Broome. While BP has a terminal at Kewdale, it is fed by BP’s Kwinana refinery and only receives imports if the Kwinana refinery cannot meet local demands due to maintenance issues. BP also has a terminal in North Fremantle, but it does not store motor spirit.

BP operates the Larg North terminal in Adelaide that is capable of receiving imports of unleaded petrol.

Caltex
Caltex has access to 22 seaboard terminals around Australia, some of which are owned and operated by Caltex and others are in some form of joint operating arrangement with other parties. Caltex did not indicate at which of these terminals it could import cargoes of unleaded petrol.

In Victoria Caltex has capacity for the storage of refined products at the Newport terminal, which it owns and operates. Caltex also has a hosting arrangement with Shell at its Corio terminal.

In New South Wales, Caltex owns and operates terminals at Banksmeadow and Newcastle. It also has storage capacity at the Silverwater terminal, which is operated by Mobil through a joint venture.

However, the Silverwater terminal is supplied via pipeline by the Kurnell refinery and Shell’s Clyde refinery.

Caltex owns and operates terminals at Lytton, Cairns and Mackay in Queensland. However, the Lytton terminal is supplied via pipeline only. It also has access to storage facilities that are supplied by ship under joint venture arrangements with Shell at Townsville, and with Mobil at Gladstone. Under these joint venture arrangements Shell operates the Townsville terminal, and Mobil operates the Gladstone terminal.

In the Northern Territory, Caltex has capacity at the Vopak terminal in Darwin.

Caltex owns and operates terminals at Albany and Port Hedland in Western Australia. Caltex accesses a terminal in Fremantle operated by Shell through a joint venture. Caltex also has hosting arrangements with Mobil at Coogee, with BP at Kewdale and Geraldton, and with Shell at Esperance.

In South Australia Caltex owns and operates terminals in Adelaide and Port Lincoln.

Caltex accesses terminals through joint venture arrangements at Devonport and Hobart in Tasmania. The Devonport terminal is operated by Shell, and the Hobart terminal is operated by Caltex.

Mobil
In Victoria Mobil frequently imports cargoes into its Yarraville terminal. Mobil operates the Yarraville terminal through a joint terminal arrangement with BP. The capacity of the Yarraville terminal is 31 ML.

Mobil stated that it supplies its product requirements in Tasmania from Shell under buy–sell arrangements whereby fuel is generally sourced from Shell’s Geelong refinery.

Mobil uses BP’s terminals at Burnie and Hobart and Marstel’s Bell Bay terminal under joint ownership or long-term throughput arrangements.

In New South Wales Mobil imports into the Vopak terminal via a throughput arrangement. Mobil has a joint terminal arrangement with Caltex for access to a terminal at Silverwater. However, Mobil stated it does not import into the Silverwater terminal because it is supplied via pipeline by Caltex’s Kurnell and Shell’s Clyde refineries. Mobil also has a joint terminal arrangement with Shell at Newcastle, but does not import into that terminal because it is supplied via pipeline from Sydney.

Mobil does not regularly import into Queensland because it sources supply from BP and Caltex under buy–sell arrangements. Mobil has throughput arrangements with BP in Cairns, Townsville and Mackay, and with Caltex at the Gladstone terminal. Mobil has a joint terminalling arrangement with BP at Whinstanes terminal in Brisbane. However, as mentioned above the Whinstanes terminal is not an import terminal and is supplied via pipeline by the Caltex and BP refineries.

In Western Australia Mobil imports into the Coogee Chemicals terminal in Perth.

In South Australia, Mobil accesses the Birkenhead terminal under a joint venture arrangement with Shell, under which Mobil operates the terminal. Mobil also has access to a terminal under joint ownership or long-term throughput arrangements with Shell at Port Lincoln. Shell operates the Port Lincoln terminal.

In the Northern Territory, Mobil imports into the Vopak terminal in Darwin via a throughput arrangement. Mobil’s supplies in Darwin are sourced from Shell under buy–sell arrangement.

Shell
Shell sources most of fuel in Victoria from its Geelong refinery; however it may import cargoes of fuel into Geelong if there is a problem with production at the refinery. Outside the Geelong refinery, Shell can also import fuel into the Newport terminal. Shell noted that the Newport terminal had a significant capacity, but that it was barely adequate to meet their operating needs.

In New South Wales Shell sources most of its fuel from its Clyde refinery. Shell noted that it was difficult to import fuel into the Clyde refinery because it is land-locked and logistically difficult to import clean products through. Shell has storage space at the Vopak terminal in Port Botany, but indicated that this was not a substantial storage space for petrol and diesel, but mainly stored jet fuel

Shell has a terminal at Newcastle that is connected via pipeline to the Caltex’s Kurnell refinery and Shell’s Clyde refinery. The Newcastle terminal is a joint terminal with Mobil.

In Queensland Shell indicated that its supplies of fuel in Brisbane predominantly come from its buy–sell negotiations with the other refiner-marketers. Shell indicated that it could import into its Pinkenbah terminal in Brisbane; however, it noted that it was not a principal export destination for petrol.

Shell also has terminals in Cairns, Mackay, Gladstone and Townsville (a joint terminal with Caltex). Shell noted that there was limited storage space for gasoline at these terminal.

Shell imports fuel into the Vopak terminal in Darwin in the Northern Territory.

Shell stated that it primarily sourced supply in Western Australia through buy–sell arrangements, and that it conducted minimal importing into Perth. Shell noted that the capacities at Fremantle, Geraldton, Esperance, and Port Hedland were very small, and that these terminals were predominantly there for gas or diesel demand for those areas driven by mining and offshore operations.

Shell considered that it could obtain access to third party storage at the Coogee Chemicals terminal in Kwinana, and from Verve who are associated with Western Power and have tanks in Perth.

In South Australia, Shell supplies its customers through a combination of buy–sell arrangements and imports. Shell imports fuel into the Birkenhead terminal in Adelaide. The Birkenhead terminal is operated by Mobil under a joint venture with Shell.

The majority of Shell’s product requirements in Tasmania are generally sourced from its Geelong refinery. Shell has a joint terminal arrangement with Caltex at the Devonport and Hobart terminals.

For those who gonna go TL;DR, to sum it up...
1. All the fuel companies are joined at the hip...
2. All those who praise Shell is probably from Sydney and Melbourne.
3. If you're in WA. BP is the place to go.
4. If you're in QLD, BP is the place to go.

curtis265
12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
I use caltex. I wonder how my fuel lines and tank look...

km numbers are all useless. You need to measure L/100km numbers for Caltex and BP so that we can compare.

i always wonder why people give their tank range to express fuel economy...

sensei_
12-11-2012, 10:24 PM
i always wonder why people give their tank range to express fuel economy...

to the blind idiot, higher number = better. zomfg this car does 1000km on one tank without thinking about the actual tank.

back in the day, clever salesman tried to mask the fact that the mid 90s s class was thirsty. so they would quote 600km to the tank, but fail to tell you it had a 100L fuel tank in the back :p

connorling
30-11-2012, 08:58 AM
always use BP 98, never use something else.
my cars are tuned with BP 98, and one time i had to use 95, and the car wants to stall everytime i stop at traffic light, and i never use anything other than 98 ever since.

GSi_PSi
30-11-2012, 09:44 AM
My evo is tuned on BP98, i once got stuck and had to use Shell V-power,
nek minute car is spluttering and blowing puffs of black smoke on boost ?? :SS

cleaned out the tank and changed back to BP98, never used anything else since

trism
30-11-2012, 09:48 AM
if u calculate wat u pay with a discount agains the kms u get

and compare wat u pay at bp without a discount and the kms u get...
u will find ur saving money anyways....lol

but, i have always and only eva used bp 98

people laughed at me wen i boosted my itr, everyone said i will struggle to get 300kms per tank,
but after it was tuned, it actually got betta fuel consumption than na on stock ecu...lol

BP 98 FTW

Its amazing what a tune will do lol

A good mate of mine got his WRX tuned after a few mods, picked up an extra 65awkw, but also is getting nearly 2l/100km better economy.

Fredoops
30-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Its amazing what a tune will do lol

A good mate of mine got his WRX tuned after a few mods, picked up an extra 65awkw, but also is getting nearly 2l/100km better economy.

Not suprising considering how rich the factory tune is!

Tuning for lean burn does wonders.