PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt replacement, DIY or let the pros do it?

mattsrea
08-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Hey Ozhonda as the title states, my dads thinking of replacing his timing belt and water pump for his 99 CRV and was wondering is the job really that difficult? We're kinda on a budget and would like to DIY for the experience. I been doing a little research about DIY belt replacements for a D series and looks pretty complex as it requires the removal of one side of the engine mount and holding the engine up with a jackstand and a block of wood. Any tips and advice?
Thanks

eren
08-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Remove Valve cover , Timing belt cover , Align camshaft there should be a up mark i think you move the crankshaft which rotates' the camshaft , loosen crank bolt ,remove harmonic balancer , remove the whole dipstick , remove lower timing cover , there's more i forget , and i hope someone correct's me if im wrong

JDM DC2R
08-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey Ozhonda as the title states, my dads thinking of replacing his timing belt and water pump for his 99 CRV and was wondering is the job really that difficult? We're kinda on a budget and would like to DIY for the experience. I been doing a little research about DIY belt replacements for a D series and looks pretty complex as it requires the removal of one side of the engine mount and holding the engine up with a jackstand and a block of wood. Any tips and advice?
Thanks

If u asking the question , its to hard for you. So leave it to the mechanics

eLtrix
08-11-2012, 10:27 AM
To be perfectly honest, id leave this to the mechanics. And i can refer you to one if you need help.

sensei_
08-11-2012, 11:09 AM

whilst i generally agree with this. i have to say, we all have to start somewhere, maybe leave this one to the mechanics, and start on something a little less daunting.

eLtrix
08-11-2012, 11:18 AM

Yeah gotta agree with this. Start learning from a smaller job and work your way up!

charliebrown
08-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Do it yourself for the experience and save a wad of cash bro. you've done work on your car before, its not like you're completely cartarded and don't know how to use a wrench. and you have a garage so no rush, do it slow and do it right. spend the money on good tools if you dont already have em

sensei_
08-11-2012, 01:01 PM
top tip charliebrown.

sometimes i find that having a backup car is the greatest tool when you are working on a car. it means you dont have to rush to get things out of the way

mugen_ctr
08-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Imo Get a pro to do it, for starters the crank bolt will b very very hard to crack loose, second gettin the correct timing spot on as well, an the amount of time n effort u need will b double wat a mech will take, remember if anything breaks its on them not u, i tried doin diy n gave up due to the crank bolt not comin off

curtis265
08-11-2012, 01:41 PM

this.

bennjamin
08-11-2012, 02:49 PM
this.

This

The timing belt...is probably one of the hardest DIY service/maintenance jobs to do. IF you stuff it up , there is many repercussions , worst case engine failure.
IT isnt expensive - and must be done only once every 100,000k or so

mattsrea
08-11-2012, 03:51 PM
thanks for the replies guys, i told my dad it was gonna be a hard diy but he reckons he can do it since his got like half the skills of a typical mechanic. I'll see what he wants to do later on because yeah labour is pretty pricey now a days. I'll just be there to assist him. I mean like we have most of the tools to do it (ie. timing mark allignment thingy, lots of wrenches, air ratchets, trolley jack) and we have you guys to help us out ;D
But would it be necessary to put the plank of wood under the oil pan once you remove the passanger side engine mount? Because to get to one of the bolts, you're required to remove that engine mount.

TGW92
08-11-2012, 05:42 PM
The idea behind the jack/wood under the engine is to support it while the engine mount is out, reducing strain on the other mounts, but don't try and lift it with the jack... If you are worried about supporting it from under the oil pan you can usually get away with supporting it under the gearbox, or else use a couple of jacks (with wood) maybe one under gbox and one under oil pan... And the bigger the piece/pieces of wood you use the better obviously, as greater surface area will mean less force exerted on any one point... :)

mattsrea
08-11-2012, 07:04 PM
The idea behind the jack/wood under the engine is to support it while the engine mount is out, reducing strain on the other mounts, but don't try and lift it with the jack... If you are worried about supporting it from under the oil pan you can usually get away with supporting it under the gearbox, or else use a couple of jacks (with wood) maybe one under gbox and one under oil pan... And the bigger the piece/pieces of wood you use the better obviously, as greater surface area will mean less force exerted on any one point... :)

ah ok thanks for clarifying that up for me TGW92. Will see what my dad has to say tomorrow.

bennjamin
08-11-2012, 07:44 PM
consider using a jackstand with a piee of wood ontop - to support the engine at the sup area. Wont budge - and wont damage your jack either !

mattsrea
08-11-2012, 08:39 PM
ok thanks alot for the advice, will update when my dad makes up his decision. Thanks guys

mocchi
08-11-2012, 09:45 PM
this.

this

thank

repeated_love
11-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Hi,

I've got a 94 Honda Accord CD5 due for a timing belt replacement. The mechanic said that this require replacing another belt as well. I did some research and it might be the timing balancer belt?

Can I get just the timing belt replaced or is there more than 1 belt in the kit that requires replacing?

curtis265
11-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Hi,

I've got a 94 Honda Accord CD5 due for a timing belt replacement. The mechanic said that this require replacing another belt as well. I did some research and it might be the timing balancer belt?

Can I get just the timing belt replaced or is there more than 1 belt in the kit that requires replacing?

do all the belts, seals and surrounding items or you're wasting your time and money

sensei_
11-12-2012, 12:57 AM
dont be penny wise and pound foolish. some things are cheaper to do in one shot.

SU-WOOP
11-12-2012, 01:06 AM
dont be penny wise and pound foolish. some things are cheaper to do in one shot.
buy dear cry once buy cheap cry all the time id love to help but have 5 belts to do in 4 days fk it might js go to mexico or sumshit

be sure to change idlers seals and water pump any of these items fail ur back to square one or some bent valves

SU-WOOP
11-12-2012, 01:07 AM
buy dear cry once buy cheap cry all the time id love to help but have 5 belts to do in 4 days fk it might js go to mexico or sumshit

be sure to change idlers seals and water pump any of these items fail ur back to square one or some bent valves

SU-WOOP
11-12-2012, 01:08 AM

mocchi
11-12-2012, 06:25 AM

curtis265
11-12-2012, 08:47 AM

iamkevin
11-12-2012, 09:06 AM

lolmclol
11-12-2012, 11:03 AM

repeated_love
11-12-2012, 11:34 PM
my bro blew the engine twice at ~208,000 and had it replaced with what turns out to be a f22b from an odyssey. i got the car then and have looked after it ok. shes at 313,000km getting the following fixed could cost over $1000 i guess.

do all the belts
seals
surrounding items
change idlers seals
water pump

could someone confirm the above list and any additions i should get done at the time. in particular which belts timing and what else...

are mechanic recommendations allowed, if so any for perth?

835 beaufort street : P

thanks guys

ctx
12-12-2012, 12:13 AM

thank

lolmclol
12-12-2012, 08:38 AM
my bro blew the engine twice at ~208,000 and had it replaced with what turns out to be a f22b from an odyssey. i got the car then and have looked after it ok. shes at 313,000km getting the following fixed could cost over $1000 i guess.

do all the belts
seals
surrounding items
change idlers seals
water pump

could someone confirm the above list and any additions i should get done at the time. in particular which belts timing and what else...

thanks guys

Ducan Nissan

connorling
12-12-2012, 08:51 AM
actually it costed me $1000 just to change the timing belt and water pump alone.
Odin Brakes and Service did the timing belt on my civic 2 years ago i think, the car is still in one piece.
(not sure how good they r now.)
http://www.odinbrakeservice.com.au/
they also lend me a loan car to go to uni (crappy car tho)
give them a call and see.

dont thank me.

do all the belts
seals
surrounding items
change idlers seals
water pump

thanks guys

connorling
12-12-2012, 08:54 AM
back to the topic tho, i wouldnt DIY timing belts unless you dont have time limit to do the job and you have a spare car and a garage to work on your car.

Evok
12-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Dude you pay what you get for, average mechanic hours is $80 for labour. Depending where and how long you leave it with them determines the quality work they will do.
If they charge you around the 500 mark, either they will rush it, use crap brand products you never heard of.

The only time you would DIY something like this is weather you have a friend that has the experience of changing one before. Just cause it has TDC & Timing mark done before does not mean its 100 percent correct. Previous mechanic/owner may of done the timing slightly off, which will effect the engine dramatically. Like su-woop said, it may lead to bent valves and such...Its fun, not fun when your stuck spending more money then you were supposed to.

Majority of timing belt changes you are required to remove the engine mount thats in the way of the timing belt + torque mounts. Hardest part towards this DIY is lack of tools.
In the end, the mechanic breaks your car down. suuuue the bastard and claim some cash.

Drifter995
12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
I replaced mine in my car... was a right pain in the ass. had to pull off the crank pulley (was stuck hard, which I suppose is a good thing) take off an engine mount, jack up the engine... This was after we replaced the headgasket. And what do you know, the cam timing marks on the cam pulley/ gear were not actually right. Good job honda. Resulted in me trying to start it with a probably chronically retarded timing.
But yeah, put the engine at tdc, and just replace it I imagine. I was pretty worried about doing that though, just in case I didn't put it on correctly, and the timing went off... but yeah, not too hard.
In the end, it saves you like 900$
Also, get rocker cover gasket and other various gaskets whilst you're doing it, may as well replace them if you take them off.

Sean628
12-12-2012, 09:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoJcAS58CHg
he also have other timing belt videos with the engine in the car for $10, worth every penny imo
pulley holding tool:
http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648796-Crankcase-Pulley-Removal/dp/B0000TMLWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355312590&sr=8-1&keywords=honda+pulley+tool

mocchi
12-12-2012, 09:51 PM
will be alot harder with engine in car due to tite spaces.

reguards,

Sean.

curtis265
12-12-2012, 10:47 PM
i will neg you for that macca

thats bad advice.

lolmclol
13-12-2012, 01:07 AM
i will neg you for that macca

thats bad advice.

Ahhahahahahahahahhaaha

cbauto
17-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Do it yourself for the experience and save a wad of cash bro. you've done work on your car before, its not like you're completely cartarded and don't know how to use a wrench. and you have a garage so no rush, do it slow and do it right. spend the money on good tools if you dont already have em

inb4bentvalves

cbauto
17-12-2012, 05:35 PM
just pm cbauto for all,your mechanical needs

infurNOS
17-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Guys, keep the spam out please.

cbauto
23-12-2012, 10:31 PM
reminds me of duc p Nguyen

mattsrea
24-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Hey guys thanks for all the responses! Sorry i haven't checked this thread in a while, my dad says his going to give it a go, so far his purchased the whole timing belt/water pump set along with the honda pulley removal tool. I think his going to work on it sometime next month, will keep you guys posted if i need any help.

Also can somebody explain why it may be necessary to remove the right engine mount? Trying to convince my dad it is because all the DIY's i've seen all removed it and he believes he can do it without removing it.

mocchi
24-12-2012, 12:16 AM
if he can do it without removing engine mount his name would be david copperfield

inb4getfkdm8

mattsrea
24-12-2012, 12:22 AM
lol yeah i know its not possible but is there like a proper/reasonable explanation?

mocchi
24-12-2012, 12:25 AM
lol yeah i know its not possible but is there like a proper/reasonable explanation?

because its impossible. make a bet with him $100.

youngmoneydadsmoney

khanguskhan
24-12-2012, 12:36 AM
I'll foot $100 on top of your bet, so make it $200, PM me for my bank deets

Drifter995
24-12-2012, 02:00 AM
it's because the timing belt goes around the mount... if that makes sense... the mount attaches somewhere between the cam gear and the crank, etc... so, you need to take it off so you can get around it... That being the worst explanation for it

cbauto
24-12-2012, 07:11 AM
can take old belt off without undoing old mount.

oxertrollface.jpg

ceekay101
24-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Does he plan to cut the belt and reglue it? Not recommend. But seriously. The belt goes from the crank to the cams and the mount is in the way.

mattsrea
24-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Does he plan to cut the belt and reglue it? Not recommend. But seriously. The belt goes from the crank to the cams and the mount is in the way.

Oh thanks this makes more sense to him now. Will update if anything else happens.

lolmclol
24-12-2012, 03:13 PM
can take old belt off without undoing old mount.

oxertrollface.jpg

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar28865_10.gif

SU-WOOP
26-12-2012, 05:29 PM

mattsrea
09-01-2013, 10:44 PM
UPDATE: My dad and I managed to successfully change the timing belt and refilled coolant and all but thing is it starts but chuckles then stalls so i'm guessing its not in TDC. We're planning on checking and adjusting the timing mark if necessary, but could anything else be causing this problem?

Also some info for you guys, took us 8 hours LOL! Found it so hard to remove the ac compressor belt

cbauto
10-01-2013, 07:01 AM
did you touch the ignition timing at all?
if not then most likely you've set the belt wrong.

why was AC belt hard?
did you loosen the compressor all the way to loosen the belt?

mattsrea
10-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah we touched the ignition timing.

And yeah the AC belt was hard. Think we fitted it wrong or something. Anybody in S.E Melbourne willing to come over and help out?

cbauto
11-01-2013, 03:31 AM
retard the ignition and try crank it over. should start easy. unless you got cams or something.

mattsrea
11-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Hm i dunno but everything is put in, its driveable and everything thing is now i cant adjust the timing mark on the dizzy.