PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Accord Code Scanning?

mightyboyev
13-11-2012, 06:39 PM
First post here….

We have a 2001 Honda Accord that I would like to be able to read the OBD codes on. I am familiar with error code reading on other vehicles and have always serviced my own vehicles. The Australian version of the Accord does not support the standard 16 pin OBD connector. As many are aware these models have the 2 connectors clipped into the plastic receptacle - One is a 2 pin connector (the SCC) and the second connector is a 3 pin (the DLC ).

I have made up a standard 3 pin (DLC) to 16 pin OBD2 connector adaptor as follows:

Kline pin on 3 pin DLC connector to pin 7 on the 16 pin OBD2 connector
Power pin on 3 pin DLC connector to pin 16 on the 16 pin OBD2 connector
Ground pin on 3 pin DLC connector to pin 5 on the 16 pin OBD2 connector

Then I jumped the 2 pin SCC connector.

With the Scan tool connected (and the SCC connector shorted), I turn the IGN switch to position II as normally done when reading codes. The Scan tool starts up and everything appears normal but then the error “Linking Error” occurs. This happens with both my Scan tools?

I thought it was worth posting here because there are so many other Accords out there that will need service as the years ago by and this should be so simple!

Before I waste more time on this, has any one found an easy way to code scan with a standard inexpensive third party OBDII scanner.

Maybe I have missed something??

Thanks
Bruce