PDA

View Full Version : Stop SMIDSY 'Sorry mate I did not see you'

DLO01
15-11-2012, 07:14 PM
SMIDSY stands for Sorry Mate I Didn't See You. This is a campaign to increase driver awareness of motorcyclists on our roads and to make driving safer for everyone.

Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/stopsmidsy

Taken from Facebook Page:

Have you experienced SMIDSY?

SMIDSY or Sorry Mate, I Didn’t See You, is a term Lawyers4Riders, based at Maurice Blackburn, have heard time and again through our work with hundreds of motorcyclists. Many have had their life changed forever because of the failure of other road users to pay adequate attention when driving.

There is an assumption by the authorities and much of the media that motorcyclists cause or contribute to their own injuries through reckless driving. The reality is often very different. The lack of awareness from motorists is often the cause. Motorcyclists are legitimate road users and have the same rights as everybody else on our roads.

“SMIDSY allows people to abdicate responsibility for poor driving performance by implying the incident was either some ‘act of God’ and therefore beyond their control, or the responsibility must lie with the other party who clearly was doing something that rendered them impossible to see. It’s a handy ‘got out of jail free’ card.”

EKVTIR-T
15-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Bikers should have mandatory hi-vis yellow clothing like tradies

mocchi
15-11-2012, 07:18 PM
how do i pronounce smidsy without sounding like a potato

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar11984_24.gif

u mad?
15-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Ride as if u are invisable

U take that risk riding a motorbike, simple fact is no kunt can see you.

sensei_
15-11-2012, 07:27 PM

not to mention some bikers like to sit in the blind spot of cars, not exactly the smartest thing to do when you are sitting on a bike.

u mad?
15-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Thats why I said "ride as if ur invisable"

Make ur self seen, pretend u are literally invisable.

u mad?
15-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Thats why I said "ride as if ur invisable"

Make ur self seen, pretend u are literally invisable.

Lmao wait, foes that make sence? Use know what I mean.

DLO01
15-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Bikers should have mandatory hi-vis yellow clothing like tradies

Any extra visibility is a good thing for riders. More driver awareness is too as what this page is all about.

Are you blind for not seeing? Of course a bike/rider has minimal if not no protection at all compared to a car.

not to mention some bikers like to sit in the blind spot of cars, not exactly the smartest thing to do when you are sitting on a bike.

You should try to limit the amount of time in a blind spot in any occasion. There are however moments where you will be in a blind spot for however long it is. A blind spot is exactly why you need to head check or use your mirrors to make sure there is no vehicle there before you move in to their lane.

Indie
16-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Drivers aren't all just lazy ****s with no regard for bikers. There are plenty of things to concentrate on when driving, to the point where it is impossible to expect drivers to drive with the constant assumption that there's a rider perched in their often-sizeable blind spot.

'Sorry mate, I didn't see you' really means 'Sorry mate, I had no way of seeing you or knowing you were there. I was driving as safely as possible with the visual information I had at my disposal. Maybe you should have left more space between our vehicles. The responsibility is yours as a motorcyclist.'

I find it hard to have sympathy for motorcyclists when I see them riding like idiots, speeding between cars, wearing shorts and a tee-shirt. But I'm not going to judge all of them for this minority. So, I don't agree with treating drivers as uncaring pricks because of the occasional accident caused by driver negligence, when it's usually just a case of motorcycles appearing from nowhere.

Motorcycles are inherently unsafe, as opposed to car drivers being inherently negligent.

khanguskhan
16-11-2012, 05:47 PM
^^^

Don't normally agree with this man but this time what he says is quite correct.

curtis265
16-11-2012, 05:58 PM
i agree with indie, as much as i hate to say it, it's really up to the biker to be ultra careful about it because it's ultimately you who gets hurt the most

i.e. lane splitting in moving traffic is my biggest pet ahte

curtis265
16-11-2012, 06:00 PM
i agree with indie, as much as i hate to say it, it's really up to the biker to be ultra careful about it because it's ultimately you who gets hurt the most

lane splitting in moving traffic is one example.. I normally move over a bit to let bikers through when stationery but if traffic's moving at 30k's you'd be an idiot to split

DLO01
16-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Drivers aren't all just lazy ****s with no regard for bikers. There are plenty of things to concentrate on when driving, to the point where it is impossible to expect drivers to drive with the constant assumption that there's a rider perched in their often-sizeable blind spot.

If I can do it on the bike in the car with a simple head check to the left or right to know 100% there is no car or bike next to me and it is safe to merge over anyone can do it. This is the exact issue at hand. People just don't see or look for a bike. Subconsciously they are looking for a car.

'Sorry mate, I didn't see you' really means 'Sorry mate, I had no way of seeing you or knowing you were there. I was driving as safely as possible with the visual information I had at my disposal. Maybe you should have left more space between our vehicles. The responsibility is yours as a motorcyclist.'As I stated above. I'm have always ridden under the belief that I'm responsible for myself, even if I have an accident and it was legally the other persons fault, l would blame myself for not putting myself in a safe position or being able to escape the dangerous situation.

I find it hard to have sympathy for motorcyclists when I see them riding like idiots, speeding between cars, wearing shorts and a tee-shirt. But I'm not going to judge all of them for this minority. So, I don't agree with treating drivers as uncaring pricks because of the occasional accident caused by driver negligence, when it's usually just a case of motorcycles appearing from nowhere. Motorcycles are inherently unsafe, as opposed to car drivers being inherently negligent.Car splitting, riding like an idiot, wearing un-appropriate clothing is just asking for trouble. I have no sympathy for them either. Talking about taking responsibility as a motorcyclist, I feel safer passing cars than sitting with the flow of the traffic where I am just a standing target.