PDA

View Full Version : My accord euro cant start... URGENT... HELP

hacker_82
18-11-2012, 07:49 PM
my car cant start after i installed new HID to low beam and high beam headlights... the VSA and engine light +++ on... actually i on my car audio while i doing the job more than 5 hrs.. so just wondering is the battery flat out or something wrong for the headlight???

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc71/suren_82/20121118_1831221.jpg

biee2
18-11-2012, 07:57 PM
check the little bubble on your battery to see if its flat or ok

Fredoops
18-11-2012, 07:57 PM
check your wiring as well!

hacker_82
18-11-2012, 07:58 PM
my battery just replaced on 3 months ago.... cant c any bubble that.. is that possible the fuse problem???

hacker_82
18-11-2012, 07:59 PM
i have checked all wiring, looking good so far but only a bit messy....

hacker_82
18-11-2012, 08:05 PM
when i put back the headlight and bumper, i still can start my car and reverse... but i have found out the 55w hid ballast very hot when i just on it less than a minute, is that normal??

Denis
18-11-2012, 08:10 PM
did you try disconect the battery and try again

I CU2
18-11-2012, 08:17 PM
$10 HID kit? - Does the car start when you uninstall it?

curtis265
18-11-2012, 08:19 PM
I think you flattened your battery.

Doesn't matter hwo old it is, 5 hours of stereo is a fair bit.

afgmoh
18-11-2012, 09:36 PM
You need to remember that 55W was the designed wattage for the enclosure, but HIDs always get very hot, very hot. If you went any higher than that you'd surely burn through the headlight surroundings and probably the wiring too causing a fire at worst. My fog lights get very very warm and I've burnt my calf on them once being careless. So monitor how your headlights go with use for about a week, if you notice ANY type of damage to the headlight enclosure swap them out immediately for 35W ones.

To the matter at hand, all those lights on generally means the battery is screwed or there's a wiring issue. But.. as Curtis said, 5 hrs of stereo is a lot.. I'd say jump start the car and see how you go.
Also, where and what type of HID kit did you get? For a reliable one you would've spent around $90+ ...any other and you're in a bit of trouble.

hacker_82
18-11-2012, 10:14 PM
did you try disconect the battery and try again

i did... but same problem... when i gonna start it, it sound like "ka ka ka; then the odometer there keep flashing....

hacker_82
18-11-2012, 10:15 PM
$10 HID kit? - Does the car start when you uninstall it?

i bought 45 from ebay... Oz seller... i did try unplug it but still the same

hacker_82
18-11-2012, 10:15 PM
I think you flattened your battery.

Doesn't matter hwo old it is, 5 hours of stereo is a fair bit.

i hope so... hopefully can claim a new battery and it work again...

hacker_82
18-11-2012, 10:18 PM
You need to remember that 55W was the designed wattage for the enclosure, but HIDs always get very hot, very hot. If you went any higher than that you'd surely burn through the headlight surroundings and probably the wiring too causing a fire at worst. My fog lights get very very warm and I've burnt my calf on them once being careless. So monitor how your headlights go with use for about a week, if you notice ANY type of damage to the headlight enclosure swap them out immediately for 35W ones.

To the matter at hand, all those lights on generally means the battery is screwed or there's a wiring issue. But.. as Curtis said, 5 hrs of stereo is a lot.. I'd say jump start the car and see how you go.
Also, where and what type of HID kit did you get? For a reliable one you would've spent around $90+ ...any other and you're in a bit of trouble.

this HID i bought from ebay...
http://img.esale333.com/w1/x1/p82/sy0363_1.jpg

actually i quite worry about the heat as the ballast really hot when just on awhile... i never have such problem on my previous 35w HID... and also i can feel the headlight screen very hot.... i worry it will damage other stuff....

afgmoh
18-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Hm... for $45 the ballasts might've been made cheaply.. so in the long run it MIGHT cause you problems, but maybe none at all, although now it seems you have a few. But, I'm pretty sure it's your battery mate that's just flat if it's doing that. Charge it up, jump start it whatever and let it recharge itself. You should be fine, if it doesn't work after that I'd say you've just blown a circuit, hard to tell without seeing it myself.
Also, if your car originally wasn't designed to carry HIDs the enclosure won't be as 'durable' as the proper ones that are placed on the 'Luxury' model Euros or unless you bought the headlight upgrade. So, if yours doesn't have a proper HID enclosure then it will get significantly hot, especially after long use. But as I said, try it for a week, if you see any change at all inside the headlights (melting, bending, wires etc) then swap them. If you have to resort to that, and you want to keep that colour of lighting and visibility, i'd suggest buy yourself a set of "Phillips Crystal Vision" or "Phillips Diamond Vision". Only difference is Diamond vision is more blue and crystal is a white colour. These will not damage or ruin your car in any way, it's a straight swap of bulbs, but if you buy them, get them from ebay, much cheaper than the stores. Autobarn charge you $120, ebay is $50.

jono_l
19-11-2012, 06:29 AM
i did... but same problem... when i gonna start it, it sound like "ka ka ka; then the odometer there keep flashing....

That's the first symptom of a very flat battery - the battery typically still supplies enough voltage to the dash cluster (so that all appears normal) until you actually start the car.

Once you kick over the starter, the battery voltage drops due to the large current draw, dash cluster/odometer dims, then the starter relay disengages the starter due to the lack of voltage. At which stage, the battery voltage increases again, the dash cluster lights back up, until the starter relay kicks over.

Rinse and repeat, and you get the dash cluster flashing, and the starter/relay making the "ka ka ka" noise. Mine did the same thing when I lent it to my dad who then left it parked for 5 hours with the headlights on. We have cars at work that exhibit the same symptoms after being parked up for months - just hook up a jump starter and they all fire right up.

Get a jump and she'll be sweet mate.

Snoop_gee
19-11-2012, 06:54 AM
check the little bubble on your battery to see if its flat or ok

the little bubble that biee2 was indicating was this

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/FH03SEP_CARBAT_09.JPG

ChaosMaster
19-11-2012, 11:08 AM
It's the battery. Jump start it. The HID kit will run off a different line to the starter motor, so there should be no relation to each other.

hacker_82
19-11-2012, 11:59 AM
the little bubble that biee2 was indicating was this

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/FH03SEP_CARBAT_09.JPG

i checked... it's nothing... mean the battery empty???

hacker_82
19-11-2012, 12:02 PM
That's the first symptom of a very flat battery - the battery typically still supplies enough voltage to the dash cluster (so that all appears normal) until you actually start the car.

Once you kick over the starter, the battery voltage drops due to the large current draw, dash cluster/odometer dims, then the starter relay disengages the starter due to the lack of voltage. At which stage, the battery voltage increases again, the dash cluster lights back up, until the starter relay kicks over.

Rinse and repeat, and you get the dash cluster flashing, and the starter/relay making the "ka ka ka" noise. Mine did the same thing when I lent it to my dad who then left it parked for 5 hours with the headlights on. We have cars at work that exhibit the same symptoms after being parked up for months - just hook up a jump starter and they all fire right up.

Get a jump and she'll be sweet mate.

exactly same as ur situation.... that mean what i should do now is jump start it and it will be back to normal or i should take it to charging/claim a new battery??

RenzokukenJ
19-11-2012, 01:10 PM
my car cant start after i installed new HID to low beam and high beam headlights... the VSA and engine light +++ on... actually i on my car audio while i doing the job more than 5 hrs.. so just wondering is the battery flat out or something wrong for the headlight???

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc71/suren_82/20121118_1831221.jpg

how you even were able to play music for 5 hours confuses me, but still, that would make sense

plus HID ballasts get so hot to touch, so thats normalllllllllllllllllllll bbooooooooooeeeeeeeeeee

charge dat battery

also, $10 HID kits - you will get what you pay for mate

HunterZero
19-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Cripes, another crappy cheap eBay HID kit on the roads installed in halogen projectors, blinding oncoming motorists...

The ballasts are probably really cheaply made, hence why they are getting really hot.

- HZ

Softcox
19-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Cripes, another crappy cheap eBay HID kit on the roads installed in halogen projectors, blinding oncoming motorists...

What he said. If you're really putting that kit in a non-luxury CL9 without changing projectors I hope you get pulled over and fined by the cops.

HunterZero
19-11-2012, 04:27 PM
If he still has the same car, lack of HID washers and fogs points to a standard...

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?99240-Post-Your-Euro&p=3103680#post3103680

- HZ

hacker_82
19-11-2012, 05:07 PM
it's fixed now after charging... thanks for your help mate....

hacker_82
19-11-2012, 05:12 PM
What he said. If you're really putting that kit in a non-luxury CL9 without changing projectors I hope you get pulled over and fined by the cops.

hi mate, just wondering what do you mean changing projector? that mean i can't use the existing projector if i change them to HID? please give me some ideas as im not expert on this.

kristrifo
19-11-2012, 07:01 PM
when i put back the headlight and bumper, i still can start my car and reverse... but i have found out the 55w hid ballast very hot when i just on it less than a minute, is that normal??

55w hid kit?

youre asking to melt wires with a HID highbeam kit

curtis265
19-11-2012, 07:04 PM
55w hid kit?

youre asking to melt wires with a HID highbeam kit

aren't halogens 50-60W anyway? How much hotter could it run as HIDs?

kristrifo
19-11-2012, 07:07 PM
aren't halogens 50-60W anyway? How much hotter could it run as HIDs?

gotta remember HIDs run @ 85v with 35w...pump it with 55w and you got some serious heat in the wires and ballast

Softcox
19-11-2012, 07:28 PM
hi mate, just wondering what do you mean changing projector? that mean i can't use the existing projector if i change them to HID? please give me some ideas as im not expert on this.

Read this. (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f14/why-you-cant-legally-retrofit-hid-lights-your-non-hid-car-56449.html) HID bulbs in standard halogen projectors without auto-levellers will dazzle/blind cars driving towards you. Pretty rare that people get caught from what I've heard but it's a shitty thing to do for other people on the road.

And if you're in an accident at night your insurance could potentially refuse to pay out

hacker_82
19-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Read this. (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f14/why-you-cant-legally-retrofit-hid-lights-your-non-hid-car-56449.html) HID bulbs in standard halogen projectors without auto-levellers will dazzle/blind cars driving towards you. Pretty rare that people get caught from what I've heard but it's a shitty thing to do for other people on the road.

And if you're in an accident at night your insurance could potentially refuse to pay out

thanks for telling mate... i know what should i do now...

Softcox
19-11-2012, 08:10 PM
thanks for telling mate... i know what should i do now...

Sorry for being rude I had no idea you didn't know before. Most reasonable thing to do would be give up on HIDs and get some better halogen bulbs instead.

cend0l
19-11-2012, 10:52 PM
It's the battery. Jump start it. The HID kit will run off a different line to the starter motor, so there should be no relation to each other.

Yeah just jump start your battery.

curtis265
19-11-2012, 11:19 PM
sorry for fuelling the off topic discussion here guys, but i think the HID discussion is beaten to death anyway so there's not much point to it..

gotta remember HIDs run @ 85v with 35w...pump it with 55w and you got some serious heat in the wires and ballast

watts are watts

The production of heat is related to current flowing through the wire, so if there's 55W/85V, you'll be running 0.64A as opposed to 60W/12V= 5A.. Think of water in a pipe, what has friction? water under high pressure or water moving quickly through it under lower pressure?

be water my friend

I CU2
19-11-2012, 11:42 PM
The production of heat is related to current flowing through the wire, so if there's 55W/85V, you'll be running 0.64A as opposed to 60W/12V= 5A.. Think of water in a pipe, what has friction? water under high pressure or water moving quickly through it under lower pressure?

I'm not sure, it might have something to do with the UV output of the bulbs?

No manufacturer uses 55W HID's in stock vehicles anyway so the all 55W setup's would be illegal. Off-topic again but I've read a few posts of people using 55W HID's for foglights on a few forums....I just wonder why?

curtis265
20-11-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure, it might have something to do with the UV output of the bulbs?

No manufacturer uses 55W HID's in stock vehicles anyway so the all 55W setup's would be illegal. Off-topic again but I've read a few posts of people using 55W HID's for foglights on a few forums....I just wonder why?
i suppose when it's hard to see people think more light would do the trick..

I CU2
20-11-2012, 12:10 AM
i suppose when it's hard to see people think more light would do the trick..

But fog lights don't even light up the road in front of you, just on the side and upwards?

curtis265
20-11-2012, 12:11 AM
exactly.. lol

i have 35HID in mine cos i wanted to be able to actually see something. Does an excellent job of being horribly glary to road users and illuminating signs in thick rain..

I CU2
20-11-2012, 01:45 AM
Blinding people in thick rain ...?

hacker_82
20-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Sorry for being rude I had no idea you didn't know before. Most reasonable thing to do would be give up on HIDs and get some better halogen bulbs instead.

no mate, u r right.. u r telling the true and teaching me, i appreciated that :)

HunterZero
20-11-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't think 55W HIDs would be illegal. If I read correctly, the only requirement (apart from colour temp being white and the correct beam pattern) is that once the headlights of any type are over a certain brightness (2000 lumen), you need auto levelers and headlight washers for them to be legal. HIDs must be over this brightness threshold.

- HZ

hacker_82
20-11-2012, 10:25 AM
I don't think 55W HIDs would be illegal. If I read correctly, the only requirement (apart from colour temp being white and the correct beam pattern) is that once the headlights of any type are over a certain brightness (2000 lumen), you need auto levelers and headlight washers for them to be legal. HIDs must be over this brightness threshold.

- HZ

Can i ask a silly question? actually why we need the headlight washers? is it same function as wiper washers to clean the headlight? or use for reduce the heat of HID?

Softcox
20-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Can i ask a silly question? actually why we need the headlight washers? is it same function as wiper washers to clean the headlight? or use for reduce the heat of HID?

To stop stuff like snow building up on the lights and causing things to shine the wrong way, I think. Pretty useless in most of Australia.

HunterZero
20-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Yes it is apparently because build-up of dust and snow scatters the HID beams. But that makes no difference to my car since it's always pretty close to spotless anyway. They just squirt soapy water up my bonnet. :P

The HID bulbs themselves temperature-wise are cooler and use less power than the halogen bulbs, so it's not to do with heat. It it was, there'd have to be be water circulating through the headlights all the time!

- HZ

RenzokukenJ
20-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Yes it is apparently because build-up of dust and snow scatters the HID beams. But that makes no difference to my car since it's always pretty close to spotless anyway. They just squirt soapy water up my bonnet. :P

The HID bulbs themselves temperature-wise are cooler and use less power than the halogen bulbs, so it's not to do with heat. It it was, there'd have to be be water circulating through the headlights all the time!

- HZ

It always amazes me and makes me laugh when people say that HID's use more power and get ridiculously hot..

I've never had a issue with my 55w kit that I got for $30.

Get over the HID issue, people will drive with HID's in non HID headlights, what can you do, stop 1 person from doing it, another 5 people buy HID's. Just pull over if someones HIDs are annoying you, and drive off when they pass. Not hard.

I CU2
20-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Get over the HID issue, people will drive with HID's in non HID headlights, what can you do, stop 1 person from doing it, another 5 people buy HID's. Just pull over if someones HIDs are annoying you, and drive off when they pass. Not hard.

It surprises me that people don't care about insurance liability.

RenzokukenJ
20-11-2012, 02:42 PM

at least its not your car that will not be covered by insurance, it will be the other person that will not be covered for having silly lights in their car.

aaronng
20-11-2012, 03:39 PM

If the ballast and wiring of the kit was designed for 55W, then it should be designed to conduct the current without heating up. Doesn't take much wiring.

On standard halogens, you have really thin wiring behind the bulb pushing 12V 55W, which is 4.58A.

For HIDs, if they run at 85V from ballast to bulb, then 55W gives only 0.648A, much lower current across the HID wires compared to stock halogens.

RenzokukenJ
20-11-2012, 03:55 PM
If the ballast and wiring of the kit was designed for 55W, then it should be designed to conduct the current without heating up. Doesn't take much wiring.

On standard halogens, you have really thin wiring behind the bulb pushing 12V 55W, which is 4.58A.

For HIDs, if they run at 85V from ballast to bulb, then 55W gives only 0.648A, much lower current across the HID wires compared to stock halogens.

wizardry

although you never know, $10 HID ballasts might have 20v rating for 0.5A running at 85v

scary

curtis265
20-11-2012, 08:19 PM
sorry for fuelling the off topic discussion here guys, but i think the HID discussion is beaten to death anyway so there's not much point to it..

watts are watts

be water my friend

i beat you to it aaron!

seanneko
24-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Have there actually been any cases where an insurance claim was denied because the car had HIDs in halogen projectors?

Fredoops
25-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Have there actually been any cases where an insurance claim was denied because the car had HIDs in halogen projectors?

Not unless its the cause of a fire I don't think they can deny the claim, sure they could take some money off the settlement for non legal parts, but denying the whole thing I doubt it.

thezaza101
30-11-2012, 09:51 PM
@OP

If you want to get rid of your HIDs, i can recommend Philips crystal visions.

I put in 55W HIDs after my mate told me "Its soo much better" (shhh I'm still young and i'm allowed to be stupid :P), they looked cool and all but i hated the feeling that i was probably blinding someone lol. Anyway i took them out and replaced them with Philips crystal visions.

You can see a clear color difference in the high beams (stock lights vs crystal vision):

But they are much whiter than stock lights:

HIDs (55W, 6000K) on the right, CVs on the left..

i will probably replace the light housings sometime next year with JDM style housings with proper HID projectors and no ugly amber parkers, but that's a $800+ project and i need to save up money for that