PDA

View Full Version : My mate wants to turbo his ITR, yey or ney?

honda_fanatic
27-12-2003, 02:50 PM
yo guys. Question, a friend of mine is running a ek civic with a b18c5.

Should he turbo, or sell the engine buy a b18c and turbo charge it to the shit house. Ne help wud b nice. :)

vti-2 edit: updated title

joneblaze
27-12-2003, 02:59 PM
"Sum desent grammer en spalling wood also b nise".......

Also, your thread title states your mates wants to "turb" (i take it as TURBO) "is" (i take it as "HIS") "ITR".... which i take as Integra Type R..... but then it's actually an EK with a B18C5 in it....? Also , you haven't stated which other "b18c" he's thinking of swapping over to and turbo charging?

Weq
27-12-2003, 04:17 PM
boost that hybrid, definatly much better, more torque and and power then NA will ever bring.

honda_fanatic
27-12-2003, 04:33 PM
yeah, ne ways, sorry shud have been more clear. He has the itr engine, but i told him he is better of selling the itr engine, and just get the dohc vtec integra engine, which is i htink the b18c something, and then turboing it, i said this cos doesnt he have to change all the interanls ne ways, am i ryt about this?
So is he better of just selling his itr engine, and getting the dohc vtec, then turboing?

poweredbyhonda
27-12-2003, 05:09 PM
runthe right gear and he should be o.k. He needs to run low boost with a good management system.

Weq
27-12-2003, 05:09 PM
he can turbo his current engine, it will just cost a little more as it needs a good very good tune when playing with such a hi-compression engine.. would yeild good results though - cheaper then swapping it out it hink.

crx2gen
27-12-2003, 06:56 PM
I reckon it would be pretty much either way - assuming you can get a reasonable return from selling the b18c(sure its not 7?).

Side question, sorry: differences between c5 and c7 at all?

BLKCRX
27-12-2003, 06:58 PM
we turboed a b18c7 itr 2000 running 12psi on a total stock engine over 200kw at the wheels.....car is a bullet.
Do it turbo it !

Regards James

poweredbyhonda
27-12-2003, 11:00 PM
B18C5 is Japanese (higher comp) & B18C7 is Australian.
I wouldn't go over 165kw@wheels on a stock ITR motor. Anything over a 35% tolerance is way too much for a standard rod unless you shotpeen it which only reduces risk of rod failure by resurfacing the rods.
By all means turbo a stock ITR motor but know it's limits. Otherwise everyone would be boosting their ITR's.

Civic Type R
28-12-2003, 12:32 AM
C5 is USDM and some Asian countries minus Japan.

he'd be better off lowering the compression so he can boost it higher.
[blkcrx] damn mate, thats a new one for me :P

ah789454
28-12-2003, 12:33 AM
thanks guys, just what i needed to hear. But one last thing blkcrx, what cost am i looking at on setting up a turbo system on the itr engine.a decent setp, but not an over kill , and an overkill for me is, more than 15g.

BLKCRX
28-12-2003, 09:33 AM
The customer to begin with turbo b18c7 type R had a custom stainless steal manifold made in Australia, a custom oil feed setup with a HKS turbo etc…

The custom manifold broke / cracked in so many places its wasn’t funny, the craftsmen’s ship / quality it was made from was to say the least very poor, the manifold was repaired took around 8 hours to re weld everything correctly but still the material it was originally made from is just to weak. 8 hours of labour = big $

The customer is now upgrading to a full race manifold in the near feature but not everyone can afford 3000$ just for a manifold.

His original oil feed setup was designed very poorly and caused his $3000 HKS turbo to run dry with no oil and killed the turbo internals. The oil feed / drain was totally redone to make sure this dos’t happen again, some people have no idea on desiging oil feeds / drains…..A new gt3040 turbo was installed replacing the broken HKS turbo.

The old turbo / manifold design crushed the stock radiator causing it to eventually leak, thus a PWR radiator was installed which also helped with cooling, along with a twin fan setup making sure the car would never overheat.

The car runs 12psi happily and makes good power, using a full ECU and has the following parts.

Custom Manifold
GT3040 Turbo
550 cc RC’s
Fuel regulator
Intake fuel pump
Full aftermarket ECU
Aftermarket ignition spark amplifier coil
40mm tial external wastegate
Custom intercooler
Custom intercooler pipes
Custom exhaust setup with wastegate pumped into exhaust
Custom clutch

And that’s about it…. Although there’s plenty more that goes into making it all work, what is a complete kit price ? it’s the consumables that cost extra $$ oil plugs filters bolts labour…

The customer is also upgrading to oil cooler as the engines oil doesn’t look to healthy, and I know from my own experiences turbo honda’s can greatly benefit thus increasing reliability by using a simple oil cooler.

What you need to do is set how much you want to spend and go from there if 15k is to much is 10k also to much ?

The other option is NOS !! a very very cheap solution and maximum power install proper fuel management and its just as safe as low boost turbo.

While not many people agree with me, I tend to over size everything design a kit that works great for 7psi but also will continue to work perfectly for 25psi, if the owner decides to build his engine down the track. I can’t see the point of buying a half arsed cheap turbo kit which is designed only for 7psi, as most Honda owners I know have in the back of there mind that one day they will run more boost and build there engine, and if that’s the case don’t undersize anything to being with other wise your just wasting money.

Regards James

eknine
28-12-2003, 09:50 AM
issn't the b18c5 the jdm ITR's..... maybe wrong:)

one more chance
22-01-2004, 11:38 PM
low boost say 6psi should be fine with the high compression engine of the ITR. anything higher i'd be looking towards forged piston at the least.

fueltank
23-01-2004, 11:22 AM
James,
I'm suprised you didn't fit the oil cooler earlier :!:

Better late then never :D

Sounds like a beast.

Quaiffe or any other LSD in the works?

A'PEXi
23-01-2004, 08:51 PM
jdm type r engines arnt marked with numbers, only other countries such as US are......

vti-2
27-01-2004, 02:56 PM
yo guys. Question, a friend of mine is running a ek civic with a b18c5.

Should he turbo, or sell the engine buy a b18c and turbo charge it to the shit house. Ne help wud b nice. :)

vti-2 edit: updated title

What's his budget? How fast does he want to go?

IMO, turbo what you have as it's not all that hard. Just be careful how much boost you are running, because the stock internals on the ITR motor won't really take much boost with hard driving. If he is planning on driving hard i'd recommend running anywhere upto 8psi, no more. Unless he wants to go all out and do internals.

I don't know why people think you can't boost a high compression engine like the ITR. It is possible and it's not hard.

Do a search because there is another thread that talks about boost and high compression engines.

dc2r
29-01-2004, 08:06 PM
A few guys are correct and a few guys aren't... B18C5 is the USDM engine code and the B18C7 is the AUSDM engine code for the DC2R motor. But that's a bit off topic.

I have no idea on what the better engine is to turbo, but I'm sure both will give good outputs if tuned correctly. I've heard of a few boosted Type-R and they are beating GT-R's so you decide?

joyride
04-02-2004, 05:41 AM
where abouts are u located?

speak to the guys at Screamin' Performance (http://www.screaminperformance.com). they t/charged a ITR for around 5k.
dont quote me on the exact pricing, it was done a few years back...
however, there has been no problems to this day. regular oil change is all thats needed... and methanol too

egvtec
15-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Like joyride mentioned go and have a talk to screamin performance they did 1 and it goes hard. i think u will be looking more towards the $8000 mark, but that is with everything u need to have a reliable type r turbo