PDA

View Full Version : Tick, tick, tick doing my head in!

infurNOS
29-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I have this ANNOYING ticking sound that i can only hear above 50km/hr.

Sounds like it is coming from my front right wheel and sometimes i can hear it from the left, but im not sure if that is just the sound transferring across all the metal.

The ticking noise is more frequent the faster i go. Does it in anygear, including rolling in neutral.

Ive jacked the car up and rotated both wheels to see if anything is hitting anything and to try and replicate the ticking noise but no success. It can't be anything in my tyres as i just got them replaced and it made the sound before. Inspected my CV boots and they are all fine!

Any ideas?

DC2R

eren
29-11-2012, 02:26 PM
when you go over bumps or something do you here the noise? like balljoint or anything like that?

eren
29-11-2012, 02:31 PM
and how many kms on the car? could be valves?

infurNOS
29-11-2012, 02:34 PM
when you go over bumps or something do you here the noise? like balljoint or anything like that?

Nope nothing like that at all. Only a sqeak but that is coming from the back of the car which i suspect is worn bushings.

and how many kms on the car? could be valves?

80,000km. It can'tbe anything engine wise as it does not do it when the car is stationary/revving.

eren
29-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Nope nothing like that at all. Only a sqeak but that is coming from the back of the car which i suspect is worn bushings.

80,000km. It can'tbe anything engine wise as it does not do it when the car is stationary/revving.

oh ok , goodluck mate :)

IEVAQ8
29-11-2012, 03:06 PM
check your brake pads and the lil clips on the caliper...

xtc.thai
29-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Might have stones stuck between your tyre treads.

mocchi
29-11-2012, 05:16 PM
cobstant tick or frequency increase with vehicle speed

EKVTIR-T
29-11-2012, 05:18 PM
maybe its more like tickety tickety tickety?

mocchi
29-11-2012, 05:28 PM
must be something in your tires

infurNOS
29-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Frequency increase the faster the car travels.

Cant be anything in my tyres as it did it with my old tyres too...

mocchi
29-11-2012, 06:10 PM
you sure it only make ticking noise above 50kmh?
jack up car and vtak it 1st gear. natsrs but you know what i mean. get it to 50kmh jacked up.

probably wheel weights tapping calipers?
or wheel weights clicking againts lower ball joint cotter pin?
how low are you? tires againts fender liner clips?

fuark gotta be something in your driveline or that area. axles, wheels, tires, rotors

i had 'scrape' noise once, just like your ticking but metal/metal scrape
and it was my rotor against brake pad spring clip in caliper.

mooshie
29-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Could be hub bearing

cbauto
29-11-2012, 10:55 PM
did you replace all 4 tires?

increase with velocity sounds like something in your tires.

you can't see from the outside.\

take off and inspect carefully 1 by 1

I've had this b4 on other cars.

infurNOS
30-11-2012, 05:47 AM
did you replace all 4 tires?

increase with velocity sounds like something in your tires.

you can't see from the outside.\

take off and inspect carefully 1 by 1

I've had this b4 on other cars.

Nope, just the front 2. The ticking was present before i got the tyres replaced too...

If it was something in my tyre, surely i would hear it at lower speed?

Even travelling past a fence, i can only hear the ticking above 45-50km/hr... Sound seems to be occuring on both sides

Limbo
30-11-2012, 03:11 PM
depending on the exact ticking noise it could be a few things.

wheel Bearing as someone pointed out
gearbox bearing
CV Joints
Or even engine mounts

Best bet is to get a mechanic to look over it and give you a quote

I know mine is input shaft bearing, doesn't do it all the time but in 1,2 n3 rd you can hear it.

JDM DC2R
30-11-2012, 03:56 PM
The cable tie prank!

cbauto
30-11-2012, 08:55 PM
You can't hear for sure where it's coming from.

I had a galvanised roof bolt in my tire. could not find it for the life of me, only when i took the wheel off and under close inspection could i see it.

increasing repetition with speed. must be something rotational.

eg5civic
01-12-2012, 05:48 AM
As above, i had this ticking that drove me crazy! I thought my CV was on the way out, but i noticed it wouldn't get worse turning ect.

When i got defected and i put rims to clear the defect on lo and behold the sound had gone. Was most likely a little bolt or something in the Tyre. And you said above that you only replaced two tyres.

maybe try removing the two old tires and put a different set of rims on go for a quick drive just to eliminate the chance it is just a bolt, before you go spending money to solve something that might not be wrong

infurNOS
01-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Thats what i thought, has to be something with my tyres. I will take ALL of them off and inspect again just incase i missed something...