PDA

View Full Version : 2007 CRV roof racks whistling at highway speeds

squidlips
02-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Hi all, 1st time post on your forum.
I recently purchased a 2007 CRV with Honda roof racks and hit the highways yesterday. Above 90kph the roof racks start their whistling and on a long trip would drive me mad. anyone else struck thsi problem? Is there a "quick fix" apart from keeping the speed down or removing them?

On another note I am quite impressed with the car. I bought it for my missus and it has a lot going for it compared to my 2011 XS premium Forester that I bought new. The 5 speed auto box puts the Subie to shame, the general driving comfort is superior and the Honda responds far better to throttle when needed. The cruise control actually drops back a gear on steep downhill runs to maintain the selected speed. I planned on updating the Subie a 3 year intervals and am now thingking that the Subie may be replaced by another CRV in a couple of years.

Cheers,

Squid

JDM DC2R
02-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Are they genuine roof racks. Its normal for after market roofs racks to whistle as they disturb the air flow. But genuine ones are normally better designed

My crv doesn't whistle unless im carrying things on them! All my past utes and van have. And yes its annoying.

Also check the sun roofs closing probably and sealing!

squidlips
02-12-2012, 08:07 AM
The seller said they were genuine Honda ones and they mount in the standard mount built into the roof. Do the Honda ones have any ID markings? I will see if I can either post a pic of them or find a pic of standard ones.

Cheers,

squidlips
02-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Ok, Just found a pic of a pair on Gumtree, they have the Honda "H" on the top, black ends with what appears flat silver bars. Mine are all black, have a curved shape across the car and have no markings that I can see. looks like mine are after market.

Squid

1996_EK_Civic
02-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Wind fairings can make a difference.

JDM DC2R
02-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Ok, Just found a pic of a pair on Gumtree, they have the Honda "H" on the top, black ends with what appears flat silver bars. Mine are all black, have a curved shape across the car and have no markings that I can see. looks like mine are after market.

Squid

Yer mine say honda on the end caps!

Winno
17-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Block off any little holes in the bars that allow access to inside the tube extrusion.
You may be experiencing the same effect that blowing across the top of an open bottle gives.

I blocked mine and they then ran totally silent.

squidlips
02-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Block off any little holes in the bars that allow access to inside the tube extrusion.
You may be experiencing the same effect that blowing across the top of an open bottle gives.

I blocked mine and they then ran totally silent.

Ok, I have finally had time to play with the racks and taken your advice. where the roof rack tubes meet the brackets there were small gaps so I wrapped electrical tape around the tubes covering these gaps and went for a country drive. All fixed. A permenant soultion will no be to remove the tape and fill these gaps with black silicon.

Cheers, squid

Winno
04-01-2013, 05:53 PM
I filled mine with polystyrene blocks cut to shape and pushed into to bars from each end.