PDA

View Full Version : This front soundstage setup ok powerwise?

90civicGL
03-12-2012, 07:32 PM
So I am looking at a set of morel's which are 140W rms and 600W peal (not that peak really matters)

I have come across a boston acoustics 2 channel amp that supplies 200W power each channel at 4ohms.

Would this be overpowering the speakers too much? I think most people tend to buy this amp to bridge and run a sub, but it should work fine for my front components right? Its the boston acoustics GT-2200.

Thanks.

2MPRS
03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
it always better to get a more powerful amp then what the speakers need they dont need to work as hard to produce the power just make sure you tune the amp correctly its all in the tunning

90civicGL
03-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Ok, thanks, so as long as it is tuned properly then it wont blow up the speakers. Me and my friend are going to get together one day and tune our systems with an oscilloscope.

You might know the answer to this question as well. The amp is 18.5"s long so near about 45-50cm, so I wont be able to hide it under the seat meaning it will probably have to go in the boot. Is it ok to run the wire from the front battery all the way to the back, then run the speaker wire from the amp back to the front through the doors into the speakers? Or will this cause too much voltage drop from the amp to the speakers? The speakers are mid range so id prefer to give them the best power I can. I would use 12ga speaker wire, then probbaly 2ag wire from the battery to the distribution block running 4ga to each amp. I would guess there is 4 meters of 2ga, less then a meter of 4ga, then 4 meters of 12ga back to the speakers.

androo
03-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Running speaker wires from an amp in the boot is fine. This is how most people would do it. However where possible, run these wires away from the power wire to reduce the chances of 'noise'.

Winno
17-12-2012, 07:36 PM
You can run speaker cable next to power cables without issue.

Try and keep your RCA cables away though.

90civicGL
18-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Ok, so basically run power down drivers side. Then I will probably run speaker wire down middle just to keep the lengths similar and so there isn't as much noticeable bulge under the trim/carpet. Then RCA on passenger side.

Then remote wire doesn't matter? If can just run with power?

And as long as I'm smart with the wiring of the RCA 2 volt pre outs should be fine? Cause I was looking at 4 just cause they came with the head unit I like. But the 2013 version just has standard. But also has android connectivity which is a big plus.