PDA

View Full Version : air to water intercooler on all motor?

Touge Tom
03-12-2012, 08:24 PM
As the title says, what are people's thoughts. Also consider the motor is running a 13.0:1 compression ratio.

stndrd
03-12-2012, 11:07 PM
What intake set up are you running? Just run methanol injection to bring down intake air temps. Side effect is a massive jump in power.

fat_85_civic
03-12-2012, 11:58 PM
It's a waste of time, you will never get the temps below ambient unless you use ice or dry ice to cool the water down.

trism
04-12-2012, 10:21 AM
What intake set up are you running? Just run methanol injection to bring down intake air temps. Side effect is a massive jump in power.

x a billion.

a meth x water injection setup will go much much further than trying to cool already ambient air.

Set it up ao it only comes on above like, 5k rpm

Touge Tom
04-12-2012, 10:52 AM
this is for a daily driven motor. was only considering it for the summer. the cooler would be plumbed down into the front apron/bumper under the drivers head light, in a DA9 chassis. and the constant 12V fan and radiator would sit in front of the A/C condenser. I'm NOT expecting more power. just to stop the ping on hot day's. it only happens in 4th & 5th gear below 3000rpm, but stops after that, @ 15 deg adv. I'd like to run a little more advance. currently ig-adv is set to 10 deg so there's no ping through the rev range at this ig-adv setting.

Jccck
04-12-2012, 11:38 AM
this is for a daily driven motor. was only considering it for the summer. the cooler would be plumbed down into the front apron/bumper under the drivers head light, in a DA9 chassis. and the constant 12V fan and radiator would sit in front of the A/C condenser. I'm NOT expecting more power. just to stop the ping on hot day's. it only happens in 4th & 5th gear below 3000rpm, but stops after that, @ 15 deg adv. I'd like to run a little more advance. currently ig-adv is set to 10 deg so there's no ping through the rev range at this ig-adv setting.

Sounds like you're trying to re-invent the wheel!

Water/Meth kits, such as the AEM one.. Are very simple, have failsafes, don't take much to install or maintain.. They're just the best option you have!
You should have bought one already.. Forget about the Intercooler lol.

trism
04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Even just water injection will help. use demineralised water, and the fine mist will help your problem.

Touge Tom
04-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Now in the long term buying methanol. Will be more expensive. As its daily driven.

Touge Tom
05-12-2012, 10:16 AM
thank's for the input. I've decided to get a mist kit with a 20 litre tank and a front mount oil cooler. now its just a matter of time to purchase and install 'em. again thank's!

Jccck
07-12-2012, 08:22 AM
thank's for the input. I've decided to get a mist kit with a 20 litre tank and a front mount oil cooler. now its just a matter of time to purchase and install 'em. again thank's!

Should do the trick!
Good luck with it =)

Personally i think you're mad to be daily driving a 13:1 Motor.. But hey, why not.

Touge Tom
08-12-2012, 12:45 PM
got my meth/water injection kit on the way from atlanta/georgia, U.S.A .$289.42 AUD$ including postage. there were some locally, but i saved my self $100 buying from E-BAY. just shopping around for a 13 row oil cooler kit now.

Limbo
11-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Try e85 it will keep temps down, its more stable.

I've looked at Meth injection seems very touchy to me.

Touge Tom
12-12-2012, 10:39 AM
cant no servo near me carries the stuff (@ RYDE) . unless i go to sydney CBD.