PDA

View Full Version : Is this dc2r known to man?!?

vtec_yoo
16-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Hey does anyone know anything about this R ? Went to have a look today looks pretty neat with some decent mods. After some discussion looks like the owner will drop to 16.5. Is that too much for a dc2r?

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=13899995

If anyone knows any history please inform. Thankss

ctx
16-12-2012, 10:33 PM
What's the sticker in the rear-quarter window? Do you remember what it said? I'm guessing it's a forum, so you could look it up to try and find a build thread or any other info.

EKVTIR-T
16-12-2012, 10:37 PM
belgarage?

vtec_yoo
16-12-2012, 10:48 PM
yep has a belgarage and a jdmyard sticker on it..

JDM DC2R
16-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Intersting dyno figures with just bolt ons and tune! 144 try more like 130!

Also headers and extrators are the same thing. He mentioned it twice or 3 time if u include full exhaust system!

vtec_yoo
16-12-2012, 11:55 PM
yeh i know i realised that, the car was a good drive. Definately not 144 atw though its had three owners, apparently this guy bought it off his friend who his dad is a mechanic and therefore did all the upgrades on the car... Dont really think thats a good thing though?

.Dave
17-12-2012, 07:09 AM
i know it well

guy lives in my area... more on that later...

previous owners dad is a mechanic yes, in a small servo, he is also very generous, gave his son basically what he wants... so it does have some good quality stuff... but current owner (and is loosing license for this) drives like an idiot. everytime ive seen it its been above 6k, at night i can hear it across the lake from where i live revving out constantly, he races everyone he can
i guess hondas usually handle it pretty well... i dno... id just be careful if buying this.. definately a nice car but... be wary

dc2screama
17-12-2012, 08:24 AM
A good old comp and leak down test as well as a check over under the car and engine bay by a mechanic will tell you how healthy it is.
But with those mods you can kind of understand why he would 6k+ it
BUT at the end of the day it's your choose..

dougie_504
17-12-2012, 08:52 AM
^ agree just comp test it. Looks clean otherwise. 144KW probably more like 144HP IMO.

Hard to trust a guy who lists his modifications as 'mugen headers' AND 'mugen extractors', complimented by a 'honda data tune'.

stndrd
17-12-2012, 09:08 AM
$18k a bit expensive for a car that gets limiter bashed everyday, regardless of km's on the odometer. I would find out who did the tune and what hondata it has, along with what these "us coilovers" are.

butterfingers
17-12-2012, 09:10 AM
my main concern is whether the tool followed the servicing intervals that should come with the daily limiter bashing.

vtec_yoo
17-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Well it has full log book history, was serviced basically every 5 thousand Kms, until this guy took over in which his owner it for 10,000kms not 1 service has been recorded. Major service had also already been complete at 85,000 kms

JDM DC2R
17-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Cars like this is normally owned by people who are mechanically minded. Meaning they perform basic things like oil change them self. Id be more incline to test drive, check over the car then look at a service history. As there easily forged!

vtec_yoo
17-12-2012, 01:06 PM
I test drove the car, felt fine although there was a occasional squeaky noise from the rear, also I'm
Not sure if it was due to me not being used to the R gearbox but was a little difficult to get the gears in...

infurNOS
17-12-2012, 01:13 PM
I test drove the car, felt fine although there was a occasional squeaky noise from the rear, also I'm
Not sure if it was due to me not being used to the R gearbox but was a little difficult to get the gears in...

Worn bushings or sway bar endlinks/d links just need greasing up (mine does the same), still get a mechanic to check it out as it could be a leaky shock (worst case)

Which gear? Car cold?

I know once running @normal op. temp, the gears just slip right in.

If it is reverse, then it is normal in Honda gear boxes

vtec_yoo
17-12-2012, 01:19 PM
It was at normal operating temp

reverse was hard to find but gears also were harder to get in than normal

Found myself searching for third quite a few times

EKVTIR-T
17-12-2012, 01:24 PM
perhaps the shifter bushings are worn

perhaps he install short shift which made it notchy

perhaps the tranny oil is old

perhaps the synchro are fuked from hard life

infurNOS
17-12-2012, 01:30 PM
I strongly advise for a mechanical inspection OP, if gears are feeling like that a relatively low kms it should be setting off alarm bells!

.Dave
17-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Cars like this is normally owned by people who are mechanically minded. Meaning they perform basic things like oil change them self. Id be more incline to test drive, check over the car then look at a service history. As there easily forged!

unfortunately this one isnt mechanically minded... hes more.. **** yeah just choped that commy....

doubt hes serviced it since buying

get a mechanic to check it out, it is very nice and clean, just, some shit driving has gone through it

you get that with all hondas i guess

as for the gearing... probably coz he slams the gears everywhere

EKVTIR-T
17-12-2012, 01:37 PM
well it is a racecar after all

not gonna be driven like your grandma corolla all its life

butterfingers
17-12-2012, 01:43 PM
well it is a racecar after all

not gonna be driven like your grandma corolla all its life

you wouldnt believe how many "sportivos" ive seen been bashed off its rev limiter trying to do front wheel burn outs from a servo.

vtec_yoo
17-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a quality check done? A mobile one? Or anyone on here good enough to do so?

I wasn't to happy with stateroads last time to be honest.

rhys.l
17-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Based on the above info I'd stay away from it mate. It's one thing to think all Type Rs get thrashed. It's another thing to know the one you are looking at has been. People on this site seem to go on forever about how Honda's are designed to be thrashed, they can handle it and it's all good as long as regular servicing is carried out. But at the end of the day shit is going to wear faster in car that spends its life at high rpms and you might end up footing the bill.

And by the way it's a fallacy all Type Rs get thrashed. I hardly ever vtec mine. I'm aware I am soft. I believe the guy before me was as well. But I reckon my car drives better for it, and the cornering performance is where these cars shine anyway, not on the limiter in a straight line.

vtec_yoo
17-12-2012, 06:35 PM
I guess that's right... Although I don't believe Vtec is thrashing the car..

I think thrashing a car is more or less dumping the clutch, rev limitering gears consistently etc..

Having said that, this bloke from word had basically been doing this!

infurNOS
17-12-2012, 06:51 PM
And by the way it's a fallacy all Type Rs get thrashed. I hardly ever vtec mine. I'm aware I am soft. I believe the guy before me was as well. But I reckon my car drives better for it, and the cornering performance is where these cars shine anyway, not on the limiter in a straight line.

I have to agree!

Indie
17-12-2012, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't bother getting it inspected if the gears are that troublesome, you know that it hasn't been serviced in at least 10,000kms, and the guy redlines it everywhere. Too many negative factors.

butterfingers
17-12-2012, 08:31 PM
It's not shifting at redline that wears the car prematurely. It's sustained high rpm driving that will net u a bent valve or spun bearing down the road.

butterfingers
17-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Based on the above info I'd stay away from it mate. It's one thing to think all Type Rs get thrashed. It's another thing to know the one you are looking at has been. People on this site seem to go on forever about how Honda's are designed to be thrashed, they can handle it and it's all good as long as regular servicing is carried out. But at the end of the day shit is going to wear faster in car that spends its life at high rpms and you might end up footing the bill.

I guess that's right... Although I don't believe Vtec is thrashing the car..

I think thrashing a car is more or less dumping the clutch, rev limitering gears consistently etc..

Having said that, this bloke from word had basically been doing this!

driving spiritedly or aggressively is a far stretch from thrashing/track/drag racing. typically an enthusiast with mechanical sympathy, cruises at a comfy 3k rpm with the random burst pull to weave in and out of traffic. probably puts more wear on your neck vertebrae than on anything mechanical in your car, and even then, you hardly get to reach 6k rpm before a car infront of me requires me to get off the gas pedal.

then theres those people who think thrashing is any time your rpms go over 2.5k. now think about it, all the cars you see, losing compression burning oil and blowing smoke, tend to be your family car/eco box which has never been taken over 2k rpm.

EKVTIR-T
17-12-2012, 10:39 PM
its a typeR m8

if you never take it over 4k,sell it and buy a gsi so a real racer can appreciate it

rossirider
17-12-2012, 10:53 PM

My car runs so much smoother after a good hard track day. I believe you need to give the car a good hard drive every now and then to clean it out.

rhys.l
18-12-2012, 08:55 AM
It's not shifting at redline that wears the car prematurely. It's sustained high rpm driving that will net u a bent valve or spun bearing down the road.

If you are shifting near the red line then you are also driving at high rpms therefore leaving yourself open to the consequences you mentioned.

driving spiritedly or aggressively is a far stretch from thrashing/track/drag racing. typically an enthusiast with mechanical sympathy, cruises at a comfy 3k rpm with the random burst pull to weave in and out of traffic. probably puts more wear on your neck vertebrae than on anything mechanical in your car, and even then, you hardly get to reach 6k rpm before a car infront of me requires me to get off the gas pedal.

then theres those people who think thrashing is any time your rpms go over 2.5k. now think about it, all the cars you see, losing compression burning oil and blowing smoke, tend to be your family car/eco box which has never been taken over 2k rpm.

Completely agree with you hey. First paragraph is essentially how I drive, and is by no means thrashing the car. There is a big difference between this type of driving and what other people have said about the driving of the owner of the car in question.

its a typeR m8

if you never take it over 4k,sell it and buy a gsi so a real racer can appreciate it

Vtec is 5.6k right, so it gets higher than 4k :p But regardless, like I said, I've got a type r for the handling and feel. A gsi can't match that, even one with a set of coilovers.

My car runs so much smoother after a good hard track day. I believe you need to give the car a good hard drive every now and then to clean it out.

Sure, why not. I never said my car never gets driven hard, just not on the regular basis the above one apparently does.

I think the last time I let Vvvtec drive it, it got more vtec in 20 minutes than it had had for the 2 years before hand lol ;)

.Dave
18-12-2012, 09:09 AM
at the end of the day its your money, do as you wish, just giving some background, and i think the prce is a bit high, but hey its a famous type r... you can get civics and other tegs cheaper and faster for less

ctx
18-12-2012, 09:56 AM
at the end of the day its your money, do as you wish, just giving some background, and i think the prce is a bit high, but hey its a famous type r... you can get civics and other tegs cheaper and faster for less

But factor in the Type-R tax and ta-da...18k dc2r.

Vvvtec
18-12-2012, 11:16 AM
LOL rhys

vtec_yoo
18-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I've decided not to go ahead with this R, after all the negative feedback it's only logical not to go through with it...

I've also inspected this one, looks good although the log books stop at 100,000 kms and the owner claims only 22k have been put on the car in 5 years...

I know it's been for sale for atleast a year..

Has anyone else gone to see the car?.. If so what did you think?

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=11221535

infurNOS
18-12-2012, 01:48 PM
I've decided not to go ahead with this R, after all the negative feedback it's only logical not to go through with it...

I've also inspected this one, looks good although the log books stop at 100,000 kms and the owner claims only 22k have been put on the car in 5 years...

I know it's been for sale for atleast a year..

Has anyone else gone to see the car?.. If so what did you think?

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=11221535

Still for sale?!

In my opinion, Yellow Type R's do not last long on the market UNLESS there is something mechanically/financially up with them.

infurNOS
18-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I also found this, not sure if coincidence of the number plate, but it sounds like it has been tracked?

http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67139306-Vtec-fans&p=426590&viewfull=1#post426590

vtec_yoo
18-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Hmmm... Does sound odd!..

Funny thing was when I went to see it the tyres were basically bold and he was trying to tell me they have 2 years left on the rear and another year on the front..

rossirider
18-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Still for sale?!

In my opinion, Yellow Type R's do not last long on the market UNLESS there is something mechanically/financially up with them.

I've seen the car and have had a ride in it. The car is in excellent condition in and out. I checked out 5 PY TYPE R's before this one and this is the best out of all of them. He is the second owner. The car pulls harder than all the other ones too. It's a great car although I didn't get a mechanic to check it out.

I think his selling price is what is holding it back. He isn't desperate to sell. I got a final figure on the price he is willing to let it go for and IMO it's still more than what the market price is.

vtec_yoo
18-12-2012, 02:43 PM
I've seen the car and have had a ride in it. The car is in excellent condition in and out. I checked out 5 PY TYPE R's before this one and this is the best out of all of them. He is the second owner. The car pulls harder than all the other ones too. It's a great car although I didn't get a mechanic to check it out.

I think his selling price is what is holding it back. He isn't desperate to sell. I got a final figure on the price he is willing to let it go for and IMO it's still more than what the market price is.

I'd have to agree, it's in pretty good nick!! He has told me his not to desperate to sell,

And when I drove it, about 6 months ago, your right! Went alot better then any other I've drove,

When I saw it the second time a few weeks back his price seemed decent although the log books stopping at 100k sounded fishy.. But he did say he had the receipts for the oil etc things he used.

butterfingers
18-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Pulls harder? were all the other ones losing compression or something?

or was that one modded?

vtec_yoo
18-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Just felt like a smooth drive, had a fujitsubo cat back exhaust but that's all.

Gearbox felt very smooth also

dougie_504
18-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Smooth at the redline into 2nd and 3rd? Reverse also? The crux of the D/B trannies.

Also check the common oil leak places, cam seal, VTEC solenoid seal(s), head gasket, dizzy. And the engine mounts too.

Gotta say man I love the PY with the OEM rims. CW can get f*cked with all the obsessed fanboys lol. Clean looking R...

EKVTIR-T
18-12-2012, 10:38 PM
yellow is for gaylords

sorry Dougie! ;)

NightKids
18-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Get a s2K

vtec_yoo
18-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Get a s2K

Lol then I can attach a trailer with seats for the people I need to carry

NightKids
18-12-2012, 11:19 PM

lol...

EKVTIR-T
18-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Get a s2K

haha as I read this I had mental image

thanks for teh laugh

DTN
18-12-2012, 11:40 PM
what about this one? looks pretty clean plus some goodies too

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/honda-integra-2001-13673119?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=0&eapi=2&__N=1246+1252+1247+1282+4294965322+4294965105+1216&find=yellow|CarAll&silo=Stock&num=15&sort=default

vtec_yoo
19-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Seen it, car itself isn't in the best condition, missing parcel tray and a few other little things,

Makes me question the maintenance,

Also has been hit front left guard and respray job is off

tiksie
19-12-2012, 05:11 AM
A good old comp and leak down test as well as a check over under the car and engine bay by a mechanic will tell you how healthy it is.
But with those mods you can kind of understand why he would 6k+ it
BUT at the end of the day it's your choose..

Miss the comp test completely and go for a leak down! Comp test says nothing and is extremely overrated.

tiksie
19-12-2012, 05:12 AM
Seen it, car itself isn't in the best condition, missing parcel tray and a few other little things,

Makes me question the maintenance,

Also has been hit front left guard and respray job is off

You gotta expect these things for cars that are over 10 years old.

By the sounds of it, you will be looking at spending over 20K for a DC2R in immac condition, anything below that won't be what you want.

mocchi
19-12-2012, 07:04 AM

By the sounds of it, you will be looking at spending over 20K for a DC2R in immac condition, anything below that won't be what you want.

but according to ozhonda theorist, mint dc2r worth 10k

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar15495_15.gif

dougie_504
19-12-2012, 11:44 AM
That's right. $5g chassis plus $4g engine plus a bit on top for the thousands worth of mods and you have $10g purchase offer VS $18g+ fanboy asking price.

GSi_PSi
19-12-2012, 02:03 PM
That's right. $5g chassis plus $4g engine plus a bit on top for the thousands worth of mods and you have $10g purchase offer VS $18g+ fanboy asking price.

didnt you buy your ef8 for a fanboy asking price andy lol?

the title of this thread is retarded

im sure that dc2r is known to man lol
but you never know it could be a wild dc2r born in the jungle not known to man.

vtec_yoo
19-12-2012, 02:12 PM
didnt you buy your ef8 for a fanboy asking price andy lol?

the title of this thread is retarded

im sure that dc2r is known to man lol
but you never know it could be a wild dc2r born in the jungle not known to man.

Either your literature skills are terrible or
Your common sense levels got flushed down a toilet.

The title specifically states "IS THIS" which is indicating a specific car.

If that give away wasnt enough I thought the first post containing the link to the car would've done it.....

So I'm going to assume its common sense your lacking...

vtec_yoo
19-12-2012, 02:15 PM

I'm happy to spend 15k on the right dc2r that is In good condition..

I think that is a just worthy price, obviously won't get me a prestine conditioned one but should get me a very clean one,

That yellow one that I posted above, I think 15k is a good price for both owner and potential buyer

EKVTIR-T
19-12-2012, 02:44 PM
pretty shore he was using "known to man" lightly

not literally

infurNOS
19-12-2012, 05:40 PM
No more insults otherwise i will hand out infractions.

rhys.l
19-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm happy to spend 15k on the right dc2r that is In good condition..

I think that is a just worthy price, obviously won't get me a prestine conditioned one but should get me a very clean one,

That yellow one that I posted above, I think 15k is a good price for both owner and potential buyer

Seems fair enough. You shouldn't have to pay more than 15k. In my experience it's hard to get insurance companies to insure them for more than 14-15k anyway. Be patient man and a good one will come along.

vtec_yoo
19-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Seems fair enough. You shouldn't have to pay more than 15k. In my experience it's hard to get insurance companies to insure them for more than 14-15k anyway. Be patient man and a good one will come along.

I've been waiting soooo long... This yellow one is pretty mint, it's just it's for sale length is off putting as its been up for ages!!

Plus he has log books till 100,000 Kms then from there claims his fathers don't the servicing and has only driven 22,000 Kms over 5 years. Seems strange!

azn_dr3am3r
19-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Just posted my DC2R on carsales if you are interested. Not modified like this one but mechanically A1. Cheers

mikool247
20-12-2012, 06:51 PM
If km's aren't an issue for you, you may want to check out the three dc2's that are currently on sale in this forum. They are reasonably priced and looks decent.

vtec_yoo
22-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Just posted my DC2R on carsales if you are interested. Not modified like this one but mechanically A1. Cheers

Im assuming yours is the red dc2r with about 98,000 on the clock?

If km's aren't an issue for you, you may want to check out the three dc2's that are currently on sale in this forum. They are reasonably priced and looks decent.

looking for something with under 130,000 kms pretty keen on the yellow one posted above

Does anyone here know how you can tell if the kms have been rewound?

azn_dr3am3r
23-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Im assuming yours is the red dc2r with about 98,000 on the clock?

95600kms on it. keen to post it on here but not a full member yet.

looking for something with under 130,000 kms pretty keen on the yellow one posted above

Does anyone here know how you can tell if the kms have been rewound?

best way is to take it a good mechanic.

Setanta
25-12-2012, 09:42 AM

Not impossible. I put less than 800 on my ITR in the last 12 months.

Edit: I also service ever 3000kms or 3 months regardless. But I don't log book it, I just run a spreadsheet on each service.

18K seems to be the max you can insure a DC2R for - I have mine up for renewal and am going to push to have it lifted above that.

vtec_yoo
25-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Not impossible. I put less than 800 on my ITR in the last 12 months.

Edit: I also service ever 3000kms or 3 months regardless. But I don't log book it, I just run a spreadsheet on each service.

18K seems to be the max you can insure a DC2R for - I have mine up for renewal and am going to push to have it lifted above that.

Thanks for that mate,

I guess it can be done I just find it odd in his first 5 years of ownership he bought close to 80xxx Kms
And in the last 5 years only 20xxx Kms...

Who do you have your insurance with?

I got a quote with AAMI and they valued the car at max 12,900,

I do need to insure it with a company that covers unlisted drivers though as otherwise it is far too expensive.

Setanta
25-12-2012, 06:42 PM
No worries.

In my first year I put 12K kms on it, one trip home to Sydney from Qld and then an interstate run to Melbourne and back added up.

My daily is my E30 as I don't like leaving the 'teg at work (school) or carparks. Hence only 800 in 2012. Plus the E30 is such a fun little beast to drive too :)

I'm insured through Shannons for 18K but I also have our other 2 cars insured with them as well. Sole driver, plus I'm in my 40s which helps the insurance. Shannons are fantastic if you are an enthusiast - not quite as good as they once were but pretty damn good all the same.

totti
30-12-2012, 09:43 PM
ok ppl, i sold this car in feb 2012 to michael with 93k km on the clock

car was the cleanest dc2r in sydney before he took ownership. he purchased the car stock standard other than spoon sussy. previous owner (my good mate) owned it for 8 years and put about 15k in that period, and was purchased from melbourne in 2004.

i carried out the major service on the car and other bits and pieces.

not sure what the current condition of the car is, but i can definately tell you early this year is was in showroom condition. i would not hesitate to buy it if i was in the market. good luck ppl

Setanta
30-12-2012, 10:54 PM
car was the cleanest dc2r in sydney before he took ownership.

I always chuckle when I read this. There seems to be a lot of them (including mine) :)

.Dave
31-12-2012, 11:58 AM
yeah but then michael sold it to another muppet, and its still epic, yet ruined... i dno.. id never buy a car from that guy, even though it is epic,

then again i cnt really justify spending 18k on a car when you can get k swapped civics for that much... i guess it is getting to be a rareish car, still..

tripleuse
31-12-2012, 12:04 PM
i cnt really justify spending 18k on a car when you can get k swapped civics for that much..

this.

.Dave
15-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Bump, i sincerely feel fr anyone buying this car... please show them this if they intend...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl2IoFPvC7k

terrible music, terrible driving, im all for hving a spirited drive, but seriously...

this is the quality (???) of cars that i have to deal with in this area.... ****

butterfingers
15-01-2013, 08:03 PM
i see a ding, and a few shitty hard launches. is this the same dc2r?

EKVTIR-T
15-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Bump, i sincerely feel fr anyone buying this car... please show them this if they intend...

terrible music, terrible driving, im all for hving a spirited drive, but seriously...

this is the quality (???) of cars that i have to deal with in this area.... ****
whats your point?

tripleuse
16-01-2013, 04:36 PM

lol at 1:22 crunches/misses second. hahahah

.Dave
17-01-2013, 11:14 PM
whats your point?

guy wanted info on car/opinions.... if you watch the vid.. **** buying that, guy drives like a ****...

trying to help people not buy a dud honda, this guy hardly services it and drives like a banana....

infurNOS
18-01-2013, 05:57 AM
OP has found a car, thread closed.