PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Civic FD1 audio upgrade

stevo1210
22-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

Been a bit busy these days so I haven't been back here. Although I'll say that my Civic still gets two washes a week and just got a good wax + polish :)
Anyway, I haven't been such an avid fan of the audio in my Civic since the day it rolled out of the Honda showroom when I got it. I was kinda poor back then as well so I didn't want to spend $580 on the Honda bass works system at the time. I'll be spending $450 (DIY) on that now though (dealer still has it!) :)
However, since I have the VTi with the 4 speaker system... there's tweeter holes in the top of the dash with the covers covering them... what I want to know is... are there pre-wired wires under those covers for tweeters from a VTI-L? If there are then I'll be dropping by a wrecker ASAP to buy tweeters and popping them in to compliment the Bass works system which I'll be ordering soon. :)

leetie123
24-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I have a 2008 Vti-l and there are no tweeters in my car
i was gutted

stevo1210
24-12-2012, 10:36 PM
I have a 2008 Vti-l and there are no tweeters in my car
i was gutted

What? I didn't know that! I thought all VTi-L Civics had 6 speakers as standard? or was that only in the series II revision?

leetie123
25-12-2012, 04:55 PM
What? I didn't know that! I thought all VTi-L Civics had 6 speakers as standard? or was that only in the series II revision?

negative - we are talking about 8th gen civic
It is honda australia being a tight ass - notice i said "australia"
just before I moved from NZ where their civics came with 6 speakers and paddle shifters
plus these civics were made in thailand
very under equiped for the price point they are asking

just like the new civic hatch 9th gen doesnt have cruise control standard - WTF?

stevo1210
04-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Okay then, skipping the tweeter fiasco then... if I get some coaxial speakers (ones with inbuilt tweeters), that would probably make life easier. BUT... a long while ago I tried JBL GTO 603's up the back of the car and the sound was so faint that when I cranked it up to 30 on the head deck, it was still tinny sounding. These speakers were 4 Ohm, 5 - 100W input and 91db sensitivity.
But on the other hand I've read other people have successfully changed the stock speakers with something else and had success? What speakers would probably be sensitive enough to work with the stock HU?

fitme
09-01-2013, 05:56 PM
any 6.5" coax will do....but still our stock HU wont give us enough power to drive
those speakers..ill skip with the bass works..for that
price i can buy a decent 4 channel amp and subwoofer

stevo1210
12-01-2013, 04:45 PM
any 6.5" coax will do....but still our stock HU wont give us enough power to drive
those speakers..ill skip with the bass works..for that
price i can buy a decent 4 channel amp and subwoofer

Well, I managed to find genuine Honda Co-Axials online! They fit the Type R hatch in England... and I've worked out the Type R FN2 hatch uses the same speakers as the sedan model... so these should pop right in with no modifications. $350-$400 for two coaxial speakers, sent from England...

I'd go aftermarket for cheaper prices, but I want to retain my stock stereo... not really into the fancy aftermarket DVD systems etc. I've put the Bass works system on order, just need some time to install it into my car. $538 from my local Honda dealer. After I get this done, I'll be ordering Co - axials speakers from Sterling Honda in England. However, just wanted to check, the stock Honda speakers I have now are 4 ohm right?

stevo1210
15-01-2013, 11:00 PM
I've kinda struck a problem here when I was going to make an order at the dealer. They want $150 to plug in some cables for me for the bass works kit. They said if I do it myself (plug in a few cables myself) it will void the Bass works kit warranty AND my car warranty... then the guy said if I install it myself my car may catch fire because the Bass works unit is connected to the high brake light and trunk light for power which is powered 24/7 so one mistake and my car could end up in flames? I've done a fair few OEM audio installs on my Toyota and haven't had a problem changing a head unit over etc. But this does sound scary, yet I don't want to pay $150 for an apprentice to fiddle around in there when I know I can do a MUCH better job than the dealer at home!

Any feedback on the warranty issue/will my car destroy itself would be great. Order of my Bass works kit is currently on hold over this warranty information.

Thanks.

CrystalSkull
18-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Yes, your "car destroy itself would be great." Be sure to post photos.

lolmclol
18-01-2013, 09:38 AM
I've kinda struck a problem here when I was going to make an order at the dealer. They want $150 to plug in some cables for me for the bass works kit. They said if I do it myself (plug in a few cables myself) it will void the Bass works kit warranty AND my car warranty... then the guy said if I install it myself my car may catch fire because the Bass works unit is connected to the high brake light and trunk light for power which is powered 24/7 so one mistake and my car could end up in flames? I've done a fair few OEM audio installs on my Toyota and haven't had a problem changing a head unit over etc. But this does sound scary, yet I don't want to pay $150 for an apprentice to fiddle around in there when I know I can do a MUCH better job than the dealer at home!

Any feedback on the warranty issue/will my car destroy itself would be great. Order of my Bass works kit is currently on hold over this warranty information.

Thanks.

Did you seriously not tell them to go **** themselves, wave the money you were going to spend there and walk out the door?

Your car catching on fire is the biggest joke ever. If a product is designed with a flaw like that, they're begging for legal butt rape.

curtis265
18-01-2013, 09:43 AM

Thanks.

you should have coughed and acted sick then said "that comment just gave me cancer" and walked out.

because it sure as hell gave me cancer.

it won't void your entire car warranty don't worry about that.

lolmclol
18-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Thanks.

In all seriousness, you should go back and get that in writing from the dealership, then contact bass works and find out from them, if they so much as tell you one thing differently, contact Honda Australia in terms on misleading/fraudulent information, I know workshops over here got in trouble for advising customers that they were required to have certain work performed on their vehicles.

stevo1210
08-02-2013, 09:39 PM
I ended up going to another dealership in the end... got a better deal as well. $570 fully installed... that's only $20 more than the last place and they do it for me. I think I'll hand them the $20 so I can have a coffee in the service lounge at the dealer. :D

THEN... hope they don't break anything in the installation process.

fitme
09-02-2013, 06:51 AM
im using my stock HU at the moment and bought some 2nd hand gears

heres my setup
stock HU
front speaker - alpine spx 177a -$80
subwoofer - Focal 13v1 - $150
amp1 - Focal LE mono - $150
amp2 - FOcal LE 4channel - $200

Honda_FD
16-02-2013, 10:10 AM
I have an FD2 Civic Sports with a

7" Alpine Double Din Head unit - IVA-520R
Current Alpine Type R 12" Sub with ported box - SWR-12D4
Alpine 1100 RMS X Power Mono Block - MRX M110

And the install has been very successful with no major problems. Part from the parcel shelf rattling when
the sub was installed. ATM i got some rubber grommet from car wreckers and shoved them in between the rear
window and the parcel shelf. the main vibration comes from the third brake light vibrating against the window.
Hopefully i can get some Dynamat to provent it and get better sound quality.
But overall, Im very happy and have no regrets.

Planing on getting Type Splits up front with Type S rears.

Honda_FD
16-02-2013, 10:14 AM

Thanks.

Thats not right. If you've done some head units like you say so, You would know not to get a power source from something that in running 24/7
You'd get something thats connected to the ignition. . . Personally I think that Bass Booster kit is a waste of money. For $500 i can get a decent Amp and Sub setup

stevo1210
23-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Thats not right. If you've done some head units like you say so, You would know not to get a power source from something that in running 24/7
You'd get something thats connected to the ignition. . . Personally I think that Bass Booster kit is a waste of money. For $500 i can get a decent Amp and Sub setup

Head units still have a 12V source that is on 24/7 to keep the settings and clock running when the car is off. The rest of the HU runs off the ignition from what I know.

Bass works kit is being put in later this week. I hope it matches up to the quality of the 6x9's in our Accord Euro! I'd go aftermarket... if I wasn't a person with large power tools and other assorted items in the boot. I was quoted under $500 for a new HU and a sub in the boot! :-/

stevo1210
01-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Just an update...

Got the Bass Works system installed today. My opinion? I am IMPRESSED with it. Sure, it's no subwoofer like those one the kids use which drive me nut at 8AM when I'm still sleeping, but it provides a deep bass up the rear of the car. So basically it's similar with the sound system in our '06 Accord... which was my benchmark for this system. I haven't played with the settings yet... will do that later. In terms of audio quality, I now have a sound stage of treble and mid range up the front and nice deep/warm filling bass in the rear.