PDA

View Full Version : Trunk/Boot Light Not working

blommer
23-12-2012, 12:50 AM
The trunk light on my jazz GD3 is not working, bulb wasnt blown. tried another bulb and still no light.

Anyone know which fuse it might be connected to or is there a simple fix to this problem?

VBPJazz
24-12-2012, 08:34 PM
I have similar issue but here is something to try...

Open the boot door and slightly close it without it actually closing and see if the light comes on/flickers. Because that's what mine does and it's annoying!

blommer
25-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Think I know where the problem lies..

When the tail gate is opened, the open door light on the cluster does not light up. Will have to be a little switch connecting to the latch that is either sticky or jammed

bossxr
27-12-2012, 09:19 PM
They may use microswitches like some German brands such as VW do. Usually you can lubricate the switch with silicone spray from memory and all is good. Let us know how you go.

blommer
31-12-2012, 12:53 PM
OK found out that when the latch mechanism is in a "closed loop" position, a "C" with a small jaw gap, the light comes on, however when the latch becomes an open "C", the light goes off.

So my guess is that when the tailgate is popped but not yet open, the "C" latch mechanism will be an open "C" as it's still attached to the striker assembly on the boot, this is when the light is off. The moment the trunk is opened the "C" will have to automatically switch from a open "C" to a "closed loop" position to activate the light. However, this is not happening as it stays as an open "C".

Not sure if my explanation makes sense. Guess i might need a new latch assembly if i want it to work correctly or just flick the "C" latch everytime i need light in the trunk.

bossxr
31-12-2012, 02:02 PM
OK found out that when the latch mechanism is in a "closed loop" position, a "C" with a small jaw gap, the light comes on, however when the latch becomes an open "C", the light goes off.

So my guess is that when the tailgate is popped but not yet open, the "C" latch mechanism will be an open "C" as it's still attached to the striker assembly on the boot, this is when the light is off. The moment the trunk is opened the "C" will have to automatically switch from a open "C" to a "closed loop" position to activate the light. However, this is not happening as it stays as an open "C".

Not sure if my explanation makes sense. Guess i might need a new latch assembly if i want it to work correctly or just flick the "C" latch everytime i need light in the trunk.
Is it spring loaded ? If so, maybe a light spray of silicone may help to free it up. Silicone spray is non-conductive.