PDA

View Full Version : Tools for noobs

Jdm.
23-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Hey guys, I'm sure there are a lot of new guys out there that have just got into modifying and working on their cars. I'm one of them and would like to ask what tool set would be good for a beginner wanting to do some DIY and just simple stuff on the car, I have some stuff lying around the house that I would like to install, but don't have the tools, and buying individually I don't think would be cheap, would be great to see some recommendations from you guys, thanks.

fillit
23-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Most important thing is you get what you pay for.

If you are just starting out, I would suggest purchasing a stanley kit, something like this

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Stanley-Tool-Kit-56-Piece.aspx?pid=223840#Description

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Stanley-Tool-Kit-68-Piece.aspx?pid=215575

But I would probably recommend one of the bigger ones as you get a breaker bar and 1/2 drives. But to be honest, the larger nuts and bolts are less fiddly so you can get away with having cheaper tools there, probably get a SCA breaker bar and 17" 18" 19" 21" socket (alternatively you can just get a cross tyre wrench as those sizes are really only used for wheel nuts or suspension components)

Other than that you will need a Jack, a cheap $30 one from repco or SCA would do, they aren't the best but still miles better than the scissor jacks, be sure to buy Jack stands as safety is paramount and they are $20 for a pair when on sale.

Probably get a set of pliers (needle nose, vice grip) and screwdrivers.

There are lots of other stuff which you will figure out you would need and you will move onto better tools once you get more experience and realize your tools aren't up to the task. But for a beginner that's probably enough to get most mods onto your car.

connorling
23-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Low jack: don't bother with normal jacks, once ur car is powered, u need the low jack.
Jack stands: definately need this when working under the car
Socket set: get both 1/4" normal set and 1/2" deep socket set, that cover most suitations
1/4" and 1/2" wranch extensions: always come in handy for spark plugs or low part of the car
Breaker bar: for these stubborn bolts, especially if u have a older car
Spanner sets: get a set with some rare size like 13mm 16mm, u never know when u need them
Set of screw drivers: most of them do the job anyway.
wd40: a must for when u change suspension components etc
Oil pan tray: a must when u look into draining oil

Multimeter: check for continuity of the wires or check for power supply when u installing new gauges
Soldering: for connecting wires
Electrical tapes: to wrap the wire connections

That should get u started to work on ur car
U always need something and buy it as u go.

Get a tool box to keep all ur stuff so u only need to carry all the tool to ur car once

dougie_504
23-12-2012, 10:43 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/23/a8egyjad.jpg

This is what you need. Big roll-cab of stuffs haha.

Seriously you want a set of screw drivers, ratchet + metric an imperial sockets + extensions etc, pliers/cutters, an adjustable shifter, hammer, spanners, maybe even some alan keys.

Trolley jack and jack stands. And a torch.

Buy a good brand. No point investing in shit tools. If you can't afford sidchrome or similar then at least buy stuff from Total Tools. They're good quality chrome vanadium tools made in Taiwan (where all the big brands are made, same factory actually) and come with a life time over the counter warranty.

fillit
23-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Low jack: don't bother with normal jacks, once ur car is powered, u need the low jack.
Jack stands: definately need this when working under the car
Socket set: get both 1/4" normal set and 1/2" deep socket set, that cover most suitations
1/4" and 1/2" wranch extensions: always come in handy for spark plugs or low part of the car
Breaker bar: for these stubborn bolts, especially if u have a older car
Spanner sets: get a set with some rare size like 13mm 16mm, u never know when u need them
Set of screw drivers: most of them do the job anyway.
wd40: a must for when u change suspension components etc
Oil pan tray: a must when u look into draining oil

Multimeter: check for continuity of the wires or check for power supply when u installing new gauges
Soldering: for connecting wires
Electrical tapes: to wrap the wire connections

That should get u started to work on ur car
U always need something and buy it as u go.

Get a tool box to keep all ur stuff so u only need to carry all the tool to ur car once

If you were to get a low jack I would recommend the ARCAN (~91mm lowered height) one from costco, they are around $175. They are quite light (estimate around 10kgs) and great to take to the track.

The ARCAN handle bar also doubles up as a hectic breaker bar.

The problem is that they aren't really the most sturdy things at times. When I can I generally use my 2500KG jack. ARCON is reserved mostly for track duties.

You can always plank the car to fit a normal trolley jack (generally around the 135mm to 140mm lowered height range) Annoying as it actually doesn't clear my CU2 as the jacking point is lower than that STOCK ><!

mocchi
23-12-2012, 12:53 PM
dont buy normal spanners
buy these flex racheting spanners, youd never go back lmzo

http://media2.rsdelivers.cataloguesolutions.com/LargeProductImages/R511270-01.jpg

u mad?
23-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Yeah they fookin sick. But again, dont buy gammin ones

mocchi
23-12-2012, 01:00 PM
cos gammin ones have 10+ racheting degree, not useful for tite boxes

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar28865_10.gif

u mad?
23-12-2012, 01:03 PM
And ratcheting mech fuks up and gets loose and sloppy

Inb4avi

fillit
23-12-2012, 01:15 PM
dont buy normal spanners

http://media2.rsdelivers.cataloguesolutions.com/LargeProductImages/R511270-01.jpg

I have a set of Sidchome ones, they save heaps of time when it fits. BUT, unfortunately sometimes I still need to go back to a traditional ring spanner due to space constraints.

And you only really need 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 anything bigger you should be able to fit a rachet on.

sensei_
23-12-2012, 01:15 PM
good tips guys.

depending on your budget, you can get a nice bahco (owned by snap on) set from masters (http://www.masters.com.au/product/900044407/bahco-socket-spanner-set-106pc) for a decent amount.

if you can get yourself to costco, get the arcan trolley jack and be done

ctx
23-12-2012, 02:56 PM
This should be an official thread..

DTN
23-12-2012, 03:33 PM
You can get some good tools for cheaper at those sunday markets

na-118
23-12-2012, 04:18 PM
not the best idea to use these to crack the nuts

dont buy normal spanners

Drifter995
23-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I'd say;
Socket set (decent set)
Spanner set (decent set)
Screw drivers
alan key set
jack
axle stands
Engine stand and crane (depends if you're doing engine work at any point in time)
soldering iron + solder, etc (for elec stuff only, really)

connorling
23-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Sorry fail to mention torque wranch

aaronng
23-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Get yourself one of those component plastic containers from the discount store. Use that to hold the nuts and bolts that you remove. Also get a magnetic pickup tool for those bolts that you drop in the engine bay. Finally, get a set of metric thread restorers. I have a Snap-On set that I paid $60 for. Saves you headache when you cross thread something.

eg5civic
23-12-2012, 08:52 PM
I got one of these originally when I started my apprenticeship, then took it home to work on my car and never took it back cause I don't use many tools at work so downgraded to a smaller 3 draw force box for work.
Has all the good spanner and socket sizes, torque wrench, Allen keys ect as shown. All I've added to it is a set of vice grips a 31 or 32mm socket (for drive shafts) and a set of ratchet spanners, as stated above I wouldn't go and crack nuts with a ratchet spanner.
I pulled my motor out of my civic using just that tool set, and have changed suspension, motor in and out ect on my Nissan all out of that toolbox.
http://www.tradetools.com/products/50229S-255

Also I can vouch for arcan jacks I bought one off eBay, awesome jack, I haven't had any problems with mine and I've had it just over a year, great jack.
Also jack stands, compressor and an air tool set is also a good idea for down the track, makes life easier with tight bolts and nuts

GU357
24-12-2012, 06:29 AM
dont buy normal spanners

these are annoying, if u are undoing a bolt and then u find there isnt space to bring the bolt all the way out u cant go back because it will only turn one way so the spanner is locked there.

i went to bunnings and got a kinchrome cocket set + extensions and ratchet for 20$
and get spanners to suit, then in tricky situations by the ratchet ones (open ended ratchet is more expensive but could save you alot of stuffing around)

fillit
24-12-2012, 08:01 AM
these are annoying, if u are undoing a bolt and then u find there isnt space to bring the bolt all the way out u cant go back because it will only turn one way so the spanner is locked there.

i went to bunnings and got a kinchrome cocket set + extensions and ratchet for 20$
and get spanners to suit, then in tricky situations by the ratchet ones (open ended ratchet is more expensive but could save you alot of stuffing around)

You really should only use it to loosen the bolt enough so you can unscrew it by hand

sensei_
24-12-2012, 09:31 AM
You can get some good tools for cheaper at those sunday markets

only problem i see is, you will be waiting awhile to build your tool set (been there done that!). if you have the patience by all means go for it, as things dont come up every weekend.

GU357
24-12-2012, 10:56 AM
You really should only use it to loosen the bolt enough so you can unscrew it by hand

the ones from the pic? or the deep sockets? is handy if u get a rattle gun. or you dont have the space to put a spanner over it.

grifty
24-12-2012, 11:00 AM
You don't have to get top brands if you are going to be using them for just DIY, I am using the better quality Supercheap tools, they are pretty good quality for how much you pay. I've never hand an issue with them to date & I've been using them for more than 2 years now.

Buy slowly overtime and while on special, that way your not forking out massive $$$ at one time. I got ratchet spanners for $55 from size 8-19 when on special at Supercheap, 1 year + and no issues to date.

Drifter995
26-12-2012, 10:55 AM
You don't have to get top brands if you are going to be using them for just DIY, I am using the better quality Supercheap tools, they are pretty good quality for how much you pay. I've never hand an issue with them to date & I've been using them for more than 2 years now.

Buy slowly overtime and while on special, that way your not forking out massive $$$ at one time. I got ratchet spanners for $55 from size 8-19 when on special at Supercheap, 1 year + and no issues to date.

That is true.. I have some supercheap quality crap ones which I use ocasionally, and some Stanley (I think) ones which I use quite often... Both work, but the stanley ones are tonnes better. Just so happens the supercheap ones are better for smaller things, and small shitty work areas such as the timing belt/ water pump region of my engine.

fillit
26-12-2012, 01:02 PM
the ones from the pic? or the deep sockets? is handy if u get a rattle gun. or you dont have the space to put a spanner over it.

Most bolts in general, you should only loosen it enough so you can unscrew it by hand.

sensei_
26-12-2012, 03:22 PM
unless when it comes to wheel lug nuts. i have an drill attachment that accepts 1/2" square drive sockets. after loosening them, i use either a drill or speeder to get the lug nuts off. it helps that i have multiples of sockets that i can use.