PDA

View Full Version : What will fix this noise?!

IDV8
27-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Had a full service thinking they'd fix it, been to 2 mechanics, all in all I have changed my engine mounts and suspension (completely worn and leaking) and have new brake pads put on etc, still I'm getting this exact sound. What will fix it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc3BmtLJ2cY

flipfire
27-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Checked the CV joints?

eren
27-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Ouch doesnt sound good dont drive it far till it gets resolved Goodluck ! :)

IDV8
27-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately that's impossible at the moment with work and everything else going on which is why I'm so frustrated I've spent $2k plus trying to fix the issue with no results -.- I'm going to try take it in monday morning with the video so the mechanic can listen to the noise it makes as he didn't hear anything when he took it for a quick drive but his method of driving could just differ from mine. I haven't checked anything as I'm not a mechanic, I figured the 3 mechanic shops I've been to would spot the issue. Thanks for the replies!

eren
27-12-2012, 05:44 PM
why don't you drive while he sits in the car ?

grifty
27-12-2012, 05:58 PM
not sure if serious or not....

pretty obvious lol

IDV8
27-12-2012, 06:06 PM
why don't you drive while he sits in the car ?

I will - having the video just helps because it doesn't always do it to that extent. I've had my girlfriend in the car and its been a mild thud, she's heard it but it hasn't been as bad - seems to warm up then go all out.

@grifty - How is it obvious?

eren
27-12-2012, 06:09 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar27729_12.gif
its pretty obvious lol
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar27729_12.gif

grifty
27-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I will - having the video just helps because it doesn't always do it to that extent. I've had my girlfriend in the car and its been a mild thud, she's heard it but it hasn't been as bad - seems to warm up then go all out.

@grifty - How is it obvious?
you must be really bored?

IDV8
27-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Bumpin'

joyride
27-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Grifty if you know the answer then help him out

B18cEG
27-12-2012, 10:36 PM
rear engine mount maybe, try driving slowly and pressing the brakes pretty hard and see if it happens. also if you have some kind of camera you can mount under the bonnet and see what happens, Even easier just grab the motor and give it a big shake back and forth, see if it rocks.

IDV8
28-12-2012, 01:07 AM
try driving slowly and pressing the brakes pretty hard and see if it happens. also if you have some kind of camera you can mount under the bonnet and see what happens, Even easier just grab the motor and give it a big shake back and forth, see if it rocks.

It doesn't, only when softly applying pressure to the brakes as if coming to a stop light. I don't have any camera that'd I'd be able to setup under the bonnet.

rossirider
28-12-2012, 01:56 AM
I don't think it has to do with the Sussy or the mounts or else it would
Make the under load as well. It's only happening during braking so probably has something to do the braking system, wheels

IDV8
28-12-2012, 02:10 AM
That's what I've thought all along, or something loose near the brake it you can hear it as the wheel spins yet noone seems to be able to pick up the problem. I'll try take the video in on monday and go for a drive with him if need be so he can see exactly what I'm talking about. I've heard warped rotors mentioned or grease in the wrong place etc but it's hard to tell, everyone online has a different thought of what it is but it isn't just my car as the video is someone over the in the states and each comment is "Did you ever fix it?" or "What was the issue?".

mocchi
28-12-2012, 07:24 AM
inb4loose lug nuts

IDV8
28-12-2012, 08:51 AM
inb4loose lug nuts

Very helpful bro, thanks for that.

tiksie
28-12-2012, 02:12 PM
I've had loose lug nuts before and they caused this sort of noise under braking.. Worth a try to triple check them.

SU-WOOP
28-12-2012, 07:09 PM
callipers might be warped discs who knows every time i jump in a customers car the noises just dissapear does my head!

lil_foy
29-12-2012, 11:02 AM
I had this noise from a ****ed driveshaft. Looked perfect from the outside but the rollers were jamming up.

IDV8
29-12-2012, 12:44 PM
This actually looks like what needs to be done, what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ-qq3Jxhpo

Thanks for the replies! Does this mean it seems like my drivers side rotor needs to be 'turned'?

rossirider
29-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Probably it, sounds like everything else has been changed so you might as well do the rest. Don't even bother getting them turned, just get new ones.

IDV8
29-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'm just dumb founded that 3 shops had checked it out and didn't figure out what the issue was. Not only 3 mechanics, but 3 shops.. and I know they asked other mechanics for their opinions on what was causing it etc.

Anyone able to shed some light on what kind of $$ I'm looking at to replace or repair the rotor if this is the case?

IDV8
29-12-2012, 07:41 PM
By the way anyone know if machining rotors would fix this issue? I had a major service not long ago and it didn't fix it yet I was billed for machined rotors - they said the noise was due to engine mounts/suspension.

rossirider
29-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Thats why I try to do as much of the work on my car as possible. No one will care more than you do. That's what the forums are for.

Machining isn't much. I'm guessing 60-80 bucks and it doesn't take long to do either. Just because you got billed for the machining, doesn't mean that it was done.

DC2-PWR
29-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Yeah 60-100 for machining. Might as well buy brand new. DBA ones go for $99ea new, other brands will be cheaper.

IDV8
29-12-2012, 10:05 PM
But I had the issue BEFORE the major service - so wouldn't NRMA (where I had it serviced) fix it by machining it which they charged me for? These guys also tried to charge me $900 for engine mounts ..

DC2-PWR
29-12-2012, 10:13 PM
But I had the issue BEFORE the major service - so wouldn't NRMA (where I had it serviced) fix it by machining it which they charged me for? These guys also tried to charge me $900 for engine mounts ..

I'm not really sure. Did you check if the rotors were machined or not? If yeah, then dw about new rotors.

Jack up the car, put it on stands, turn the tyres around and see if the noise comes up. Put it in 1st gear. Turn each side.

Do some troubleshooting by yourself if you can.

90civicGL
30-12-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm curious if you have checked the lug nuts again? Check each one for cracks (even hairline cracks around the lip) as it could feel like they are done up tight but still be loose under braking force, I have had this same noise from 2 loose lug nuts once before.