PDA

View Full Version : Lowered springs or coilovers?

MarkO1995
28-12-2012, 01:36 PM
probably has been a thread about this before but whatever.

i want to lower my ek4 as it is stock standard ride height. i mite regret getting 1.5inches off and then be like i want lower and spend more on a new set. but set of adjustable coilovers do seem a bit pricey.

what is the cheaper option and how much should i be paying:
-lowered springs (set) ?
-shocks (set) ?
-set of adjustable coilovers ?

and where would be the cheapest place to get them. jdmyard? ebay is cheap but im worried about quality

DreadAngel
28-12-2012, 04:01 PM
It completely depends on your application mate, there is no point with adjustable coilovers if you're only going to set it on one height and cruise around the crappy Aussie road when you can find nice set of lowered springs with the right height drop and spring rate match it with either stock shocks or aftermarket shocks.

Its all about application in the end ;)

MarkO1995
28-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Yes true but over time tastes change n may end up feeling a lower height mite be needed. I would need aftermarket shocks for lower springs?

DreadAngel
28-12-2012, 05:50 PM
It depends on the spec of the lower springs, if they are much lower and much stiffer than factory, then the factory valving will be inadequate and therefore the car will feel very scary to drive close to the limit. It will also accelerate the wear in the factory shocks.

A 1.5" drop isn't too severe so having those on factory shocks is 'ok' provided they don't alter from factory spring rating too much. The factory shocks will still have their work cut out for them but it will be an ok compromise compared to spending a lot more money. Just don't expect magical performance ;)

Rudy
31-12-2012, 05:32 PM
aftermarket springs and stock shocks its never a good idea. Will cost u more in long run than coilovers when your shocks blow too.

Riced_Civic
01-01-2013, 07:18 AM
y not a good idea????? are u saying coilovers cant blow, cos ive seen it happen to a set of coils after a few months.

fillit
01-01-2013, 12:43 PM
y not a good idea????? are u saying coilovers cant blow, cos ive seen it happen to a set of coils after a few months.

Coilovers do blow, however there is more chance of aftermarket springs blowing on stock shocks, then a set of BCs, Teins, Tanabes coilovers blowing.

ctx
01-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Hello Mark, I started this (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?166786-Best-coilovers-for-street-use) thread a few months ago about street-use coilovers, it might be useful to you to have a quick read.

I was going to go with Function and Form Type 1 coilovers. Cheap (~$600) and can go VERY low..like, slam-low. But the big downside is that there's no damper adjustment. The spring rates are stuck at 10/6 front/rear. There are also Type 2's which are about $200 more which include damper adjustment.

They seem to be quite good as well, a lot of people have favourable opinions on using them.

I settled for a used custom spring+shock setup. No idea on spring rates or anything, but it feels like factory, not too harsh and not too soft. More of the feel from the road is transmitted into the steering wheel and cabin, which is great IMO. It was stupidly cheap too, $150 for the whole set. I've been using it for a couple of months now, and they're holding up great.

Just my 2 cents

bennjamin
01-01-2013, 01:58 PM
"Coilover" setups are generally mated properly , be it spring rates and internal valving where plain replacement shocks are harder to setup with springs.

Personally. It'd get a all in one dual adjustable coil over setup as it allows everything a normal purchaser wants.
Height adjustable and retains value.

No-VTEC
08-01-2013, 01:35 PM
spend a little more and get coilovers with adjustable dampener. well worth it.
its easy to change the height - and always fun to experiment dampener settings even for daily driving.

theHKway
08-01-2013, 10:53 PM
go with coilovers! everyone i know who has bought springs in the past has regretted it and bought coilovers 4-6 months later down the track!

menacer
08-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Unless your going to track it regularly, or you live some where with well maintained roads (so probs not australia) dont bother with coilovers. a set of konis and decent springs and your set.

More info on why in here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?166786-Best-coilovers-for-street-use