PDA

View Full Version : Head Gaskets?

mugen_ctr
01-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Hey guys, ive been looking into replacing Head studs an gasket an got few things needa clear up...

1. Can i re-use the oem head gasket? Or best to replace it when taking off the head?

2. Ive found a thicker alternative, Apexi gasket perfect for boost application, is the 76mm over size bore a bad thing? i believe 75.5mm is best for stock block, but im not sure, would this gasket be ok for boost application?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APEXI-HEAD-GASKET-HONDA-CIVIC-D15-D16-92-00-1-1MM-/280628323987?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4156c06693&vxp=mtr

Im well aware this would reduce Comp, which is exactly wat i needed :)

stndrd
02-01-2013, 12:11 AM
It is always a good idea to replace the head gasket if you have removed the cylinder head, especially if the head has never been off prior to this.

Also if your bore size only measures 75.5mm, that it the bore size you should be looking for when replacing it, as you increase the chances of not sealing the cylinders correctly.

Another thing to remember is when you lower your static compression, you are effectivly reducing the amount of torque produced by the engine when you are off boost, which on a d series is probably not the best idea unless you have a responsive turbo set up that will give you full boost by 2500rpm

DakDak
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
^ Must spread more rep around before giving it to stndrd again

dougie_504
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Also remember that if you're using a thicker gasket they can fail under boost. If you've kept the CR standard I'd use a standard HG.