PDA

View Full Version : FD Civic boot seal issue

stevo1210
04-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently having a slight problem with the rubber boot seal on my 2010 FD Civic. Basically my mechanic managed to discover this when he was checking the spare tyre as part of the service to see if it was inflated correctly. The left hinge of the boot is touching the rubber seal of the boot and has managed to rip the seal as well. I've been completely unaware of this. It's a one owner car (owner being me) and I haven't been in a rear end accident or anything like that. My mechanic got some steel wire and tied it to the left hinge to stop the plastic covering the hinge from touching the rubber seal and that didn't work either (in fact scratched the plastic cover slightly). He told me to go back to Honda and get it sorted out because potentially over time my boot may leak because of this ripped seal?
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had the same issue as me? If it's a common issue with FD Civics... I'll forget about it. (Will upload photo later when I figure out how to use my iPhone). Also, I have full log books from a qualified non-Honda mechanic... this won't void my warranty to get the seal looked at by Honda right?

Thanks.

t3kNo*
04-01-2013, 06:48 AM
do you have your car serviced at a honda dealer? if so just mention that it needs to be looked at and they'll fix it up.

i had a door seal come loose on mine and it was fixed up without any issues.

lolmclol
04-01-2013, 01:59 PM
The way it was explain to me when I was talking to one of the representatives at the dealership is that nothing technically voids the warranty unless you've clearly gone out of your way to cause it to happen.

Take a photo of where and how, also what year is yours?

As t3kNo* said, just take it to the dealership, chances are it will be an in and out situation.

stevo1210
08-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Just a quick update...

Took my Civic to my nearest Honda dealer today at last... since I've been quite busy. I've got the 5 year warranty but apparently only the 3 year is only valid for this sort of stuff. Luckily, my Civic is 2 years and 11 months old. :)
Not a problem at all and the service person at the dealer ordered a new seal which will come some time next week, and they will make some adjustments to the boot arm so it doesn't touch the seal anymore. :)

curtis265
08-02-2013, 11:11 PM
good on ya

stevo1210
23-02-2013, 09:22 PM
New seal installed yesterday... they also adjusted the boot so that it wouldn't touch the seal AND adjusted the latch so it's a bit easier to close now. :)

stevo1210
07-03-2013, 08:30 PM
New seal installed yesterday... they also adjusted the boot so that it wouldn't touch the seal AND adjusted the latch so it's a bit easier to close now. :)

I have a question about this... again. I need to reseat the seal again because the installer installed in such a way that the boot trim is exposed in some bits and the top left corner of the seal is stretched (and touching the hinge on the way up/down) compared to the right side of the boot (I can tell by ripples in the straight bits of the seal indicating too much excess there).

I know this can be fixed with reseating the seal.

I just wanted to make sure (before I go out to my garage and spend a few minutes doing this)... do I need any glue to glue the seal back down or is it like a door seal where you just push it back in and that's it...? I really don't want to take it back to the dealer again because it takes a whole day to get a seal installed. :-/ (yeah, pretty illogical).