PDA

View Full Version : What should I do/replace while my head is off?

kraiye
13-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Long story short I stripped a timing belt and have the head at an engine builder getting inspected for damage. Am unsure yet if anything is bent.
I have a ported/polished PR3 head with OEM valves, Skunk2 springs, retainers and pro1 cams. It's done about 60-65,000 k's.

The builder has suggested a valve grind. Is this worth it/necessary?
And what else should I look at doing/replacing? Eg: new head gasket? new studs? (currently has ARP's I think)? water pump? tensioner? etc etc

My dad took the head in for me - long story - so I haven't spoken to the builder myself yet.

Please suggest what DEFINITELY needs doing as opposed to what probably should be done and what would be nice to do while the head's off.
I am on a budget at the moment - bad timing for this to happen :( because a b20 on the bottom would be nice ;)

stndrd
14-01-2013, 12:04 PM
If you cant afford much just source a VRS kit and have the head reco'd so you can get it running again

kraiye
16-01-2013, 09:50 AM
thanks mate
would it be ok to re-use the cometic gasket and arp studs after 60,000k's though? they're my main concern and will replace if necessary.

and whats a VRS kit? builder is pulling the head apart to inspect in the next week or so.

stndrd
16-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Vrs kit has headgasket, valve stems, valve stem seals, rocker cover gasket and just about everything else you need to rebuild a head

Limbo
16-01-2013, 03:11 PM
never reuse the head gasket your asking for more trouble if you do.
Valve grind will help the seals seat better, but didn't they get done with your port and polish?

kraiye
17-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys. I'll have another talk to the builder before he gets started. If I suspect he's just chasing more $$ I'll take my business elsewhere.
If I'm armed with as much info as possible hopefully he'll be deterred from ripping me off. The owner of the business has a good rep but I dunno about this young bloke!

stndrd you help me out so much I can't rep you anymore :p

Slow.ek1
22-01-2013, 10:56 AM
If your heads off i would have a look at the pistons why the heads off because u wont get another chance to have a good look at the motor
unless u pull the motor apart again and freshen up the rings if ur doing ur head might as well look at the bottom end as well