PDA

View Full Version : 20% tinting done. hell yeah!

stephen8512
19-03-2005, 10:30 AM
hey guys
my car now has 20% tinting! it looks sooooooo good....cant believe how BLACK it looked......imo it sorta changes the appearance of the euro.......
i'll get some pics up ASAP....... (sydneys having shocking weather atm)

JDM.Power
19-03-2005, 11:14 AM
where did you get ur tints from? "option tints?

stephen8512
19-03-2005, 11:39 AM
it was from SOLARTINT at castle hill
they did a pretty professional job of it too

tRipitaka
19-03-2005, 11:49 AM
pics ?

stephen8512
19-03-2005, 11:55 AM
here we go (these were quick snaps)

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/500/3113e10.JPG

yfin
19-03-2005, 12:01 PM
is 20% legal in NSW?

stephen8512
19-03-2005, 12:04 PM
legal is 35% in NSW

stephen8512
19-03-2005, 12:14 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/500/3113f1.JPG

Lowenhart
19-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Looks good!
Did you ask them to install the felt?

Bol
19-03-2005, 01:16 PM
cool, looks good!

How much did that cost you?

Matell
19-03-2005, 01:23 PM
OOOOOoooohhhhhh yum! Looks good!!!!! :thumbsup:

Wish I'd found somewhere who would've done 20% back when I got my tint job. (Legalities aside of course ;) )

stephen8512
19-03-2005, 01:26 PM
nah didnt install felt....the guys couldnt do it.....but he said he's done euros for about a year now and only 1 has come back with tint problems.....
if mine starts to scratch, it has lifetime warranty so i can replace it...

yfin
19-03-2005, 01:31 PM
nah didnt install felt....the guys couldnt do it.....but he said he's done euros for about a year now and only 1 has come back with tint problems.....
if mine starts to scratch, it has lifetime warranty so i can replace it...

Oh no -not this again. I heard the same crap from the place where I got mine tinted (Tint Professor). Life time warranty, metalised film doesn't scratch etc, etc - we have tinted lots of these - no problems. When it was scratched 2 weeks later they said "that is a Honda design problem - go speak to them - warranty doesn't cover scratches".

I wasted 2 days of my life arguing with the tinters before they agreed to install the felt free of charge and re-do the tint. Please people - learn from other peoples woes and get that damn felt installed if you tint a Euro! Don't take no for an answer! :)

stephen8512
19-03-2005, 04:49 PM
hahahaha.....yfin i made a deal with the guy though. he told me that if it did scratch, then he would refer me to someone who can felt my car and would do it free of charge as well as redoing the tint. :D

Usual Suspect
19-03-2005, 05:01 PM
might be a stupid question but what is the felt for? is it like an extra protective layer or something?

tRipitaka
19-03-2005, 05:04 PM
might be a stupid question but what is the felt for? is it like an extra protective layer or something?

I'm assuming it's to stop the windows from scratching when you roll your windows down..
i.e. putting felt inbetween the door trim and the window..

VirIIx
20-03-2005, 01:14 AM
hahaha.. congrats mate, i had 20% in my old car, now i have 35% in the euro with mirror tint, rather than black like last time :)

same story with me, done heaps of euro's all fine, no problems so far, if there is a problem, there's lifetime warranty on the tint :D

Chris_F
20-03-2005, 11:04 AM
any pics of the 35% mirror tint... im considering this for my car

VirIIx
20-03-2005, 04:57 PM
I have to admit, i miss the blackness of my 20% tint, but i like the mirror, something different, and being 35% it's a touch lighter and easier to see through at night :)

I have uploaded some quick snaps to my gallery:

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=all&ppuser=1252

stephen8512
20-03-2005, 05:45 PM
sexy sexy sexy
my god......i have to say, imo, blue graphite and black euros look so damn good....
i had 35% in my previous car which was an avalon and my parents prado has 35% so for my car, i wanted to go somethin a bit darker....im happy with 20% :D

Alpine
20-03-2005, 05:49 PM
The scratching on the tint...does this only happen to the Euro or does it happen on the V6 Accords as well?

PERTH_EURO
20-03-2005, 09:16 PM
35% is legal over there? WOW... thats very very dark.
Even at night with my 20% u have to be very aware of periphial (sic) vision

PERTH_EURO
20-03-2005, 09:45 PM
35% is legal over there? WOW... thats very very dark.
Even at night with my 20% u have to be very aware of periphial (sic) vision

2NTICN
20-03-2005, 09:48 PM
how much did those cost stephen???

95_CVC
20-03-2005, 09:56 PM
i'm confused, this may sound stupid... but is the higher "%" darker or lighter? so which is darker 35% or 20%?
Anyone know what is the darkest legal in QLD?

2NTICN
20-03-2005, 10:00 PM
man im thinking that 35% would be darker and that if u had 100% it would be impossbile to see through..... so the higher the percentage the darker

95_CVC
20-03-2005, 10:01 PM
ok sweet, sorry for sounding stupid lol, i just wasn't sure that's all. :)

2NTICN
20-03-2005, 10:05 PM
naa thats kool man how old are u?

95_CVC
20-03-2005, 10:06 PM
20.. how embarrasing lmao

SSML
20-03-2005, 10:09 PM
I thought the smaller the number, the darker.
Are the 20% , 35 % the percentages of light can be transmitted thru the film??

95_CVC
20-03-2005, 10:11 PM
damn it, i was all sorted out in my mind of tinting and u had to through that in didn't u :( now i'm confused again... is the larger the number or lower the darker level tint!?!?

2NTICN
20-03-2005, 10:19 PM
far out man, WILL SOMEBODY PLZ TELL US WHICH IS DARKER???? HIGHER OR LOWER PECRENTAGE!!
sorry if im wroong 95cvc

bigdongers
20-03-2005, 10:23 PM
the percentage relates to the amount of visible light that gets into the car. Therefore the lower the percentage the darker the tint. ie 35% is 35% visability and 20% is 20% visability. The lower the number, the darker the tint.

limos traditionally use 5% tint

95_CVC
20-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Thank god for that!!!!! :D thanxs man

95_CVC
20-03-2005, 10:29 PM
ok next question... if i went to tint-a-car or any tint place and asked for lower than 35% (QLD darkest legal) would they do it or not?

VirIIx
20-03-2005, 11:24 PM
yes, the lower the darker..

and im sure someone would do 20% tint.

Money is money, you only have to ask.

But most cops don't care if you were pulled over, well.. providing your car was decent looking if you know what i mean :p

stephen8512
21-03-2005, 12:00 AM
the place i got it from said they did it 20% but if they got caught doing it on a non commercial vehicle (i.e passenger vehicles etc), theres a massive fine for them.
so basically, the tinting that they did for my car, never happened. i dont get a receipt and its cash only (no eftpos). but they write down a serial number of some sort so they have a record of my car being tinted at that place and i too get a copy of that serial number so if i have any problems with it, it will still be fixed since its lifetime warranty
and yes, 20% is darker than 35%, thus being illegal (i think its 35% legal all over oz. someone correct me if im wrong)

Pum[Z]
21-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Wicked 20% tint would definetly look nice..

I had 5% Limo tint on my euro for 8 months.. & boy did that look real hot on my black euro.. Then one day i had an accident in a carpark at night time due to my real dark tint and not being able to see properly from the side...

So i changed the tint to 40% reflective tint. My car looks more of a aquarium now without so dark tint but at least i can see through them at night time...

So the moral of the story for ppl that have dark tint on their cars. Please wind down ur windows when driving in carparks at night time or really dark places at night time....

VirIIx
21-03-2005, 10:04 AM
lol @ Pum[Z]

I had to wind down my window for all my right hand turns at intersections, even if i knew the roads, just in case.. so i didn't hit the islands.. or the median/medium (whatever) strip.

20% is nice, but too dark, not recommended for anyone who hates night driving or is in-experienced in dark conditions.

35% is the darkest legal tint you can have (in NSW) and i think every where else. However it's 35% darkest legal tint on a non-commercial building.

If you own a commercial vehicle ie. van then you can have 20% and above, I think with a station wagon (at least the rear windows) you can have it darker as well. My dad has 20% mirror/reflective tint all over his station wagon.

35% is still dark, but a little more comfortable at night than 20%, i still sometimes wind down my windows just in case out of habit :D

Anything less than that is too light for me and i hate it :)

bigdongers
21-03-2005, 01:07 PM
I think most people will get away with 20% tint if the car isnt heavily modified. If you had a stock Euro with 20%, I doubt the cops would hassle you unless you were driving like an idiot in which case you deserve to be booked :)

2NTICN
21-03-2005, 01:22 PM
so ur saying that the tints that this dude has are illegal yeh?

EuroAccord13
21-03-2005, 02:05 PM
DANG! That tint is seriously dark.. How do u see at night? :P...

bigdongers
21-03-2005, 03:16 PM
so ur saying that the tints that this dude has are illegal yeh?

I believe that anything darker than 35% is illegal. I have 35% on my car and I reckon its not dark enough :) Next time, I am definitely getting 20%.

nedgeworth
21-03-2005, 03:26 PM
20% is that dark. It's darkish at night but just nice during the day. I wish i would of gone darker but then seeing at night would be a problem.

Pum[Z]
21-03-2005, 03:53 PM
I think most people will get away with 20% tint if the car isnt heavily modified. If you had a stock Euro with 20%, I doubt the cops would hassle you unless you were driving like an idiot in which case you deserve to be booked :)

Yeah if ur car is stock and u have real dark tint it they don't really care. I was driving around with the 5% tints and i didn't once get pulled over. I passed a lot of cops and that and they didn't do anything. Then i got my rims & lowered i got cops attentions but they still didn't pull me over.

3 days after i got my car back from the accident with the new bodykit i got pulled over for my 5% tints. The bloody cop had window tint samples and was sampling the legal 35% tint on my 5% tint. He was nice about it coz he was saying how nice my car was. He wanted to give me a defect sticker for the tint. I talked my way out of it.. Now i'm using 40% reflective tint. I don't want the attention of the cops..

PrahVtec
21-03-2005, 04:08 PM
howmuch for the tint

[stealth]
21-03-2005, 04:29 PM
screw if its legal.. looks good also good for security and keepn the heat out during summer.. I would go 5% if I could but that might just be overkill..

:p

Calvo
21-03-2005, 06:44 PM
here's some pics of my tint, its 20% Mirror :D

http://users.bigpond.net.au/calvos/images/car/IMG_0078.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/calvos/images/car/IMG_0079.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/calvos/images/car/IMG_0080.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/calvos/images/car/IMG_0081.jpg
sorry bout size, dont have pic editing tools anymore.

SSML
21-03-2005, 08:33 PM
is reflective film legal in AUS? even if it's above 35% (e.g. PumZ's 40% reflecive tint)?

Calvo
21-03-2005, 09:10 PM
umm im not sure bout legalities, but my car is April 94, the tint laws only apply to cars made after Aug 94.

stephen8512
21-03-2005, 09:13 PM
umm im not sure bout legalities, but my car is April 94, the tint laws only apply to cars made after Aug 94.

wow....didnt know that
but calvo bro watch out......there are dickhead cops out there who'll find any reason to defect ur ass....
i was told today by a friend that his friend got pulled over for defect check or some shite....and the dude had an engineers certificate. the cop had no idea what to do so he just defected him anyway
so yeah

but back to the tint....calvo...love the tint job. btw hows ur car coping? is she at the panelbeaters or....?

Calvo
21-03-2005, 09:18 PM
ive been pulled over heaps of times for RBT's etc, cops have never said anything bout it... it all goes with attitude i guess, ive never had hassle's, even from powertrip cops.

gonna run around on weds get some quotes, should look even better wen im finished :D

stephen8512
21-03-2005, 09:21 PM
ahh dont worry. she'll be back on the roads feelin 110% :D
i'll see if i can come out to the next cruise meet or something

Calvo
21-03-2005, 09:34 PM
if ur at Uni 2morrow, im meetin ROCKET aka MRHNDA at C3 level 1 car park at 2pm!! Come down if ur free.

VirIIx
21-03-2005, 09:54 PM
is reflective film legal in AUS? even if it's above 35% (e.g. PumZ's 40% reflecive tint)?

i have 35% Mirror/Reflective tint, and it's sold legally.

It's just a mirror/reflective finish instead of a black finish, it also cuts down on a lot more glare and heat especially the darker film. They both have their ups and downs, it's just cosmetics in the end, with a side of extra comfort.

Alpine
22-03-2005, 06:32 AM
Does anyone know if the felt needs to be installed on just the Euros or does it also affect the V6 Accords??

VirIIx
22-03-2005, 11:48 AM
you don't need to install felt for the euro's, just need someone who's using good quality tint, and is a good tinter themselves

Thorn2004
22-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know if the felt needs to be installed on just the Euros or does it also affect the V6 Accords??

Not sure dude, I am guessing it is a Euro problem only as it is a different design to the V6 version. The reason why Honda designed the Euro's like this with the narrow space between the door trim and the window was to reduce wind noise, my tints scratched after around 5,000 K's and I have had both the front window tints replaced already! They installed a rubber seal to stop it happening again, the downside is I have noticed increased wind noise since they installed the rubber seals, but it is still better than having scratched tint! Oh I have Ming Tints done through my Honda Dealer so they fixed the tints without any hassles because it is covered by the warranty.

Thorn2004
22-03-2005, 11:52 AM
you don't need to install felt for the euro's, just need someone who's using good quality tint, and is a good tinter themselves

Nah dude you are wrong, you DO need to install the felt/rubber if you have a Euro, like I said in my above post it is a KNOWN issue, Honda sent out a warning to all the Honda Dealerships letting them know the problem and to have it fixed. It has got nothing to do with the quality of the tint or the type of tint or whoever is doing it, it is simply a design flaw of sorts on Honda's part which they are willing to fix.

Bottom line is there is not enough clearance between the door trim and the window so when you add tint it scratches when you have the Window up and down repeatedly, the felt or rubber seal fixes this, I haven't had any issues since having it installed, my Ming tints look just fine!

yfin
22-03-2005, 12:23 PM

On what basis do you say this? :confused: Are you saying Tint-A-Car - one of the biggest tint places in Melbourne uses poor quality tint and are not good tinters? The Honda dealers use them. What about Tint Professor - also crap? They also tint dealer cars including a $150k+ Range Rover that was being tinted for a dealer when my car was done.

Both these companies have numerous outlets in Melbourne and have told me of the scratching problems they have experienced tinting Euros.

My tint was fully metalised film by Tint Professor and it still scratched. This has nothing to do with the film or the tinter. It is a Honda DESIGN problem - the door panels are too tight and there is no felt from the factory. If you get debris in the door panel it can easily scratch the film (or even the glass) no matter how good the film is. Have you noticed how the interior panels sometimes move when you close the window? Get a little piece of debris in there and then see how your tint looks.

I would highly recommend people install the felt.

I can almost guarantee one of the following posts will be someone saying "i don't have felt and my window is not scratched..." If so - great - you are one of the lucky ones.

yfin
22-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Nah dude you are wrong, you DO need to install the felt/rubber if you have a Euro, like I said in my above post it is a KNOWN issue, Honda sent out a warning to all the Honda Dealerships letting them know the problem and to have it fixed. It has got nothing to do with the quality of the tint or the type of tint or whoever is doing it, it is simply a design flaw of sorts on Honda's part which they are willing to fix.

Bottom line is there is not enough clearance between the door trim and the window so when you add tint it scratches when you have the Window up and down repeatedly, the felt or rubber seal fixes this, I haven't had any issues since having it installed, my Ming tints look just fine!

Sorry Thorn - missed your post before my spiel above.

Totally agree with you - :thumbsup: we have both been through the pain and inconvenience of no felt (and associate hassle!)- and it fires me up when someone says "you don't need the felt" when this is such a known issue in a high proportion of Euros.

Thorn2004
23-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Sorry Thorn - missed your post before my spiel above.

Totally agree with you - :thumbsup: we have both been through the pain and inconvenience of no felt (and associate hassle!)- and it fires me up when someone says "you don't need the felt" when this is such a known issue in a high proportion of Euros.

lol its cool dude :) I know how you feel, people blame the tint companies but we know it has nothing to do with them and the issue is at Honda's end, I still love my Euro but heck I wish I was told about the problem before I bought it so I could get the dealership to add the felt BEFORE they started to scratch!

VirIIx
23-03-2005, 07:58 PM
I read up heaps on the whole tint and non felt issue's from this forum and many in the US as well. I've been paranoid about the whole situation and just said, i'll take my chances and tint it up with no felt for now.

It's kind of gone both ways, people who have had issues, and got it replaced with felt and others, like myself for the moment who have no issues.

I'm not saying any company is bad, the guy i got it done is a small lil company but he does services for BMW and Mercedes all around Sydney, im just saying find a person you trust to do the tinting.

If my tint gets damaged and scratch, then i'll get felt installed and re do the tint. But for now, i'll see how it goes - everything seems ok for now and I use my windows quite a bit everyday.

It would've been nice if Honda actually put felt inside a $40K car.. then again.. i'd expect a lot of things for that price, dissapointed with some issues, but happy with the car :)

D168
02-06-2005, 03:28 AM
Hi,

Do you guys have any "brand" recommendation and where to have it installed in Sydney area?
There are so many different brands out there (Solartint, Solargard, Sola-ace, sungard), they all claim the best.

Thanks,
Adrian

baboo
02-06-2005, 08:34 AM
http://members.home.nl/koz/i_cant_see_shit.jpg

VirIIx
02-06-2005, 09:39 AM
RAFL!!!!!!!

nice one baboo

stephen8512
02-06-2005, 12:18 PM
I have solartint on my car and i am very happy with the quality of it.
Excellent tint job. highly recommended. I got mine done at castle hill solartint

jl88rl
03-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Hey guys,
I done my tints about 4 weeks ago from today and was also weary about the felt. However, he had no idea about the thing and agreed on lifetime warranty no questions asked (probly the first euro his done).

Anyway i was so nervous the first time (after the 2 days) but i wound it up and down about 6 times consecutively and nuthing :)

So when have u guys first noticed the scratches if not after 4 weeks??

stephen8512
03-06-2005, 12:47 AM
nice man! where did u get ur tinting done and what %?
affter 4 weeks, no sccratches. after about 3 months or so, still no scratches. and i use my windows quite a bit
i too received lifetime warranty should there be any scratching and i didnt get felt either. the guy was too reluctant to do it. (dont think he's ever done it b4)

94_Accord
25-07-2005, 10:21 PM
cnt wait to see the pics..

[stealth]
25-07-2005, 11:12 PM
u think 20% is bad(its not that dark)... try 10%.. i almost hit a cyclist at nite coz of it...

Snoop_gee
25-07-2005, 11:21 PM
baboo's contribution hahahah that's a classic man

Aratahu
26-07-2005, 07:31 PM
']u think 20% is bad(its not that dark)... try 10%.. i almost hit a cyclist at nite coz of it...

Talking as a driver/rider/rider, and in light [no pun intended] of recent events, is that really something to brag about? It's clearly [again, no pun intended] illegal, and it looks like you summed up the reasons why just fine.

V205
26-07-2005, 08:47 PM
RACV actually recommends NOT to tint.

How many here actually chose not to tint? I decided not to tint for my Euro.

miss_vtec
26-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Even if you can get past the cops with a darker-than-legal tint, you run the risk of your insurance company refusing to honour your policy, should you have an accident (regardless of whether it was due to the tint or not).

Aratahu
26-07-2005, 10:08 PM
I went with the Ming U/V tint. It protects against harmful radiation and one of the features is that seethrough from the inside is better than normal .

EDIT: WOOT! Member status :D

D168
26-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi Guys,

Both of my front windows scratch pretty badly after 2 months :(
How do you install the felt? Should I go to dealer and ask for it? Is it cover under manuf warranty?
Any reply would be appreciate it.

Cheers,
Adrian

milkman
26-08-2005, 01:41 PM
When you do your pink slip they check tinting now unless your car is pre-1994, so watch out or you won't be able to get rego!

refer to:
http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24940

[ slayer ]
26-08-2005, 03:59 PM
hmmm, NSW must be a lot more restrictive with tinting, here in Vic, as far as the rules say anyways, u can go dark as u want except up front which is limited to 35%... personally i went 5% tint (except front 2 which are 35% for legal reasons)

and i gotta say reversing at night is near impossible, but i just avoid doing it now lol

yfin
28-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi Guys,

Both of my front windows scratch pretty badly after 2 months :(
How do you install the felt? Should I go to dealer and ask for it? Is it cover under manuf warranty?
Any reply would be appreciate it.

Cheers,
Adrian

Go back to the dealer - they will pass it on to the company who installed the tint. The felt needs to be installed and tint needs to be replaced on the front windows

nexace
28-08-2005, 10:58 PM
']personally i went 5% tint (except front 2 which are 35% for legal reasons)

:eek: That must be dark as...

vti_ek9
29-08-2005, 12:28 PM
theres a special at premiere(spelling) tint in melbourne...
$100 for darkest legal tint...life time warranty...
it's alrite...
i also just got my tint done...35%..i wish i got 20%...35% is okai but i personally reckon it's not dark enough

X8TEENX
05-09-2005, 12:43 AM
just becareful about the police...when after you instal wif mugen bodykits...hhee

big88w
08-09-2005, 12:55 PM
I will be getting my euro maybe today and would like to tint the whole car. The thing that I'm unsure which is that some tinters saying the doing it to the back windscreen will somehow affects the FM signal.

How true is this? and to what extent? Anyone experience worse radio signal after tinting the back winscreen?

Pls help me.. I would like to tint the car as what you all have done too...

BiLL|z0r
08-09-2005, 12:58 PM
The back window has the inbuilt radio antenna in it, so certain metalised tints will bugger that up. I'm actually getting my tint done today and had to opt for a lighter tint as the darker 1 I wanted had too much metal in it. I'll post pics in a new thread this arvo/tonight for interest sake.

Chris_F
08-09-2005, 01:15 PM
BiLL|z0r - lookin foward to the pics... what percentage did you go with?

also wondering... what is the limit for rear windscreen tint? Is it 35% aswell

stephen8512
08-09-2005, 01:24 PM
limit is 35% all round exept front windshield

BiLL|z0r
08-09-2005, 02:32 PM
BiLL|z0r - lookin foward to the pics... what percentage did you go with?

also wondering... what is the limit for rear windscreen tint? Is it 35% aswell

35%. Wanted 20% but didn't wanna risk hassles with insurance claims in the future. I doubt the cops would care though.