PDA

View Full Version : New Accord Owner

YLDS2K
16-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Hi al , ok based on the username and profile pic yes I own an s2000 and have never read into the accord section of this forum. Today I decided to put a deposit on a 96 accord and was wondering how I can tell the difference between a VTi and an EXi. I am really knowledge poor on these particular models and have purely bought it for a daily run around.

If you guys could point me in the right direction and what to look out for in regards to common problems and faults so I can keep an eye out and have things looked into further detail.

To give.you guys some info on the car. It comes with the following

152XXX k's
1 owner with Honda service books
Central locking
CD stacker
Power steering
Leather interior
Electric windows
Electeic mirrors
Electric.seats
Electric sunroof
Cruise control
Automatic

Vin # JHMCD56400C302880
Eng # F22B14000458

It also has gold badging on the front and rear (what's the point of it being gold?)

Problems with the car is that the front right rack boot is.cracked and leaking oil. Aircon needs to be regassed as it doesn't get cold at all. Radio ariel won't extend or retract correctly and I think that it needs brake pads but not essential atm. Cosmetically the car has a few scratches and dents although that is perfectly fine as all of that is superficial and doesn't concern me in the slightest. I am going to have my mechanic look over obviously for the rwc so please don't tell.me to do that.

Any sort.of info basic or detailed would be appreciated just so I can educate myself on the car and what to do best in terms of.maintenance and the like.

Thanks in advance guys and am sorry for asking such a broad question and sorry mods if this sounds like a for sale thread but I assure you it's not.

Jasemas
17-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Hey man
Gratz on buying an Accord
One of the best cars Hona has produced
How much did she set ya back?
You have a Vti model if i'm not mistaken
The 5th gen Accord in Oz came out in 3 variants
Exi - Base (non VTEC engine
Vti - Middle (VTEC F22b1 engine, Cruise control, optional airbag, sunroof, leather)
Vti-S - Top of the range (as well the accessories from the vti it also has dual airbags, ABS and leather as standard)
Your engine is a SOHC i4 2.2litre with VTEC (first for the accord/f22 series)

If you check your logbooks - when was the last time your timing belt was done?

And just keep up with regular servicing
Common problems are weak brakes (brake master cylinder tends to die/leak/brake lines)

Overall a great car to own

Goodluck
And by the way

Come to Ozaccord.net/forum
and 5glibrary.com - everything you need to know about the accord

YLDS2K
18-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Excellent information thank you so much

I picked it up as an absolute bargain at $3200 with 12 month rego. I went to go get the air con gassed and was told the air compressor is not functioning. So I am on the look out and just found one on eBay for $138 shipped. I spent the 43 degree day today giving her a good detail and was surprised how clean this car is inside. I plan to do a engine oil change to get me through to 160k's which I think is a major service interval and will perform the major and timing belt.

I'll have a look at the other forums and do home reading.

Btw I was wondering if there are any genuine or aftermarket projector headlamps because I plan to get myself some HID's because I really love how safe they are (like how they are standard on the S) but don't want to put them in the standard housing as it will scatter the light and blind oncoming traffic.

YLDS2K
22-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Ok so I went out and bought myself a new air con compressor and due to thwarting fact that I disconnected the battery I lost the radio and is asking mw for a code. Is it still a case of me having to call a dealership and request a the code off my vin?

Apparently Honda released the Honda codes but can someone link me?

Jasemas
22-01-2013, 11:12 PM
codes that were released were probably for international hondas/accord - as i disconnected my radio too at one point (my old cd5)
if i'm not mistaken on the spine of your logbook should contain 4 numbers written down vertically
i.e
'1
7'
hey could be your codes
See if this helps
If that doesn't work call up the dealership pay a fee - get code OR rip it out and put in aftermarket unit/amp
And if you're down there replacing your air compressor - might as well do the power steering belt and A/C/Alternator belts
Good luck

YLDS2K
01-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Update, pulled the unit out and once I disconnected it and plugged it back in entered the code it bloody worked grrr

Jasemas
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Your welcome

YLDS2K
03-02-2013, 11:52 PM
That's my.call for a thank.you....thanks

Instead of.me starting a new thread, what size speakers are fitted to this car as the stereo needs to be updated and want to get something that fits straight in. It's a standard 6 speaker stereo with tweets in the dash

Jasemas
04-02-2013, 08:20 AM
OH you got tweeters, lucky man haha
Fronts are 6x5"
And rears are 6x9"
I'f i'm not mistaken
By the way the rear doors don't have speakers - weird huh? But the door has holes cut out for them
But you can get wiring for the rear doors from the wagon version and work some magic for 8 speakers haha

YLDS2K
04-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Ah no speakers in the rear doors is interesting. I just saved myself from buying more speakers

Jasemas
04-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Hahah all good
now put up pics of your accord/members ride
Come and join ozaccord.net/forum