PDA

View Full Version : IRT vs ITR

wil
19-03-2005, 12:11 PM
don't know what title was best for this.... two of my friends has dc2 itr...both of them has CAI and the only diff between the two i would say is prob just the muffler or the exhaust piping.... when they raced each other... one itr was stronger than the other.... as it pulled away from the other car in 2nd gear... anyone know why is that so? they race a few times and it was like that... would it also be because of the drive also???

cheers....

btw anyone know the normal size of the itr exhaust pipe?

tRipitaka
19-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Most likely be the skill of the drivers..
unless one is fatter than the other.. ;)

Another factor would be the exhaust piping, is it aftermarket vs stock ?

Speeder
19-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Probably the driver difference, could be so many factors though, even from the launching difference will determine who finishes 1st and last......

zco
19-03-2005, 01:38 PM
tell them to switch cars, and see then. if the same guy wins both races, then he is better driver, or he had better launch.. or the other guy is just not trying

SiR JDM
19-03-2005, 01:44 PM
I say driver as well. A good launch and good shift into second would see him pull away ...

00dc2
19-03-2005, 02:02 PM
the best way to do it is to do a rolling start race.

get them to cruise along side by side in say 2nd gear at 3000rpm and then to both floor it at the same time and race to the end of 2nd gear (no need to go any faster).. that way you eliminate the launch ability variable.

get them to do that and then tell us which one is faster...

snowman95
19-03-2005, 02:30 PM
sometimes you get a freak motor from the factory, that could be it...or maybe its some mystical vtec-plus force or something :P

hong_ung
19-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Could be alot of factors
but if they were head to head in 1st gear, then i think we could rule out the launching factor?

shifting, how quickly you can up gear, also footwork, how quick the clutch grips

but yeah alot of it has to do with the driver

type one
19-03-2005, 05:03 PM
simple answer is the engine out of factory. Some engines are stronger than others, it is the luck of the draw.

All it would take is for a set of unbalanced* pistons to cause a change of a few kws atfw. Having said that i had a freak R engine :) and i NEVER complained.

The skill of the driver is a bit BS if you ask me, you shift gears - if one car is pulling away from the other in 2nd gear it has nothing to do with the upshift, one engine is clearly stronger than the other.

*when i say unbalanced, i mean not so closely balanced/weighted to each other.

bennjamin
19-03-2005, 05:44 PM
ITR engines would not be as susceptable (spl?) to this " engine out of factory" theory - as they are all hand built and torqued to the exact same spec.

So really - off the street it will be a drivers race.

type one
19-03-2005, 08:42 PM
susceptible...

if i use a person to complete a job rather than a machine, who or what is going to get my product closer to spec?

how can anyone believe that two/three/four/10,000 engines could be exactly the same? that's just ludicrous.

sesshoumaru
19-03-2005, 08:50 PM
easy.

one driver is fat, and the other is not as fat. the fat man loses.

that said, everyone knows the IRT is way better than the ITR.

hong_ung
19-03-2005, 10:10 PM
heheh granny shifting is why i've lost to cars that i'd usually swallow in my earlier days

driver skills is definately a factor but not the only factor, forgot to mention

tyres is a contributing factor as well, the grippier the tyre, the quicker the car will get back traction

but yes, if one iTR is pulling (alot) in 2nd over another, than i think it would be the engine

luzinit
20-03-2005, 01:18 AM
one thing - DRIVER. my close frends and i always toy around with each other, and yeh, i used to always get hammered but then i learnt to drive n not granny shift, and i double clutched like ur meant to, and then it was all over!

haha. umm but yeh, my money goes to the IRT!!

best way like others have mentioned, rolling start in gear and just race to end of that gear, as upshifting speed/skills do make a difference! id tell them not to worry! i used to think my car was broken as well when i got hammered by GSi's etc..... hahahahaha (aint that rite joneblaze??? :D) but its all driver skillz.

itr025
20-03-2005, 01:46 AM
There are many possibilities for the difference as people have pointed out.

No two engines are created identical as they're all manufactured to specified tolerances from the factory. Also the way the car has been run in might make a difference. I wouldn't rule out the exhaust mods either, if that's the one pulling away. I've heard a good b-pipe makes a noticeable improvement to the R.

flyryd
20-03-2005, 07:31 AM
i think it is just the cars.
some ITRs are just quicker than others when standard.
i know this because i have thrashed over 10 ITRs and compared. :p

ginganggooly
20-03-2005, 08:00 AM
from what i've seen there is a huge variance in outputs from the factory- a mate of mine put out 89kw atw, where i put out 93kw atw, on the same dyno, within five minutes of eachother. his was bog stock, mine had a cat back exhaust only. i've seen others put out around 100 on the same dyno...
i just put it down to my mate having a dunger motor.

J-MuN
20-03-2005, 12:57 PM
i think the driver would be a factor... but the engine would be too.. but i saw a DVD, as ben said, they do some hand work on the engines... n they were tuned to perfection... so they say... :p

K3NstyL
21-03-2005, 03:26 PM
its probably 80% engine and/or mods
20% or less driver, if they play often

quangsta
23-03-2005, 08:56 AM
i would say it has alot to do with the tire factor...coz i use to be able to kill my mates car exactly same as mine stock to the bone too buh now my tires are dying and i just cant get the power to the floor anymore...

btw what is double clutching?...

and is it really possible for engines to have a difference of ~6kw atw out of the factory...??? even when so much detail goes into each engine??..

last question whats an IRT?? =) sorry im noob
peace outside

J-MuN
23-03-2005, 09:06 AM
last question whats an IRT?? =) sorry im noob
peace outside
typo NOOOOOOOOB!!... jks :D

quangsta
23-03-2005, 09:47 AM
so u answer my stupid question and not my other ones u tight ass!!!...=)

tinkerbell
23-03-2005, 12:09 PM
throttle cable is incorrectly adjusted!?

tinkerbell
23-03-2005, 12:10 PM
there is a farkin million reasons why it could be slower... :rolleyes:

hong_ung
23-03-2005, 10:50 PM
hmm..hey dave
how loose/ tight should ur cable be?
woul dit affect your idle if altered?

J-MuN
23-03-2005, 10:56 PM
so u answer my stupid question and not my other ones u tight ass!!!...=)
hahah i didnt bother with your other ones :p... well theres a debate at the moment that whether there can be a difference in engines when they come out of the factory.. imo, i reckon yeh there is the possibility.. double clutching?... search my friend... thousands of threads!! :)

check in the "Track / Drag Racing" Threads... just search :D

majic777
24-03-2005, 09:18 AM
just get the 2 guys to swap cars, then have a couple more runs, easy way to see if its driver related

tinkerbell
24-03-2005, 09:34 AM
hmm..hey dave
how loose/ tight should ur cable be?
woul dit affect your idle if altered?

you should be able to move it ('deflect it', ie push it downwards) about a few mm, maybe about a 10mm or so.

you can have it tighter, but it might not close properly (it needs to be able to 'snap' shut) - this will affect idle, but idle WONT be affected if you cabel is too loose

if it moves more than 15mm or so - you are probably not opening the throttle up all the way when you put the pedal to the floor, you might only be getting 90% or full throttle, and therefore 90% of full power!

you need a 12mm spanner to adjust it.

(i can see all you peeps checking your engine bay with 12mm spanners after reading this - good luck :) )

THRUST
25-03-2005, 03:22 PM
There are heaps of reasons,
1.both are modded differently
2. Difference in fuel
3.Toatal weight of car+driver+fuel+stereo+etc
4.Tyres and pressure
5. Rims
6. Driver skill(slow releasing of clutch or slow to shift up)
7.Freaky motor