PDA

View Full Version : oil catch cans EPA issues?

crxzzR
19-03-2005, 07:34 PM
well i've been told by a mechanic that these things are illegal to use in road cars..
the reason why is coz the OCC collects oil vapours and mist etc. and feeds it back into the engine..
and i think by doing this... the result emissions from the exhaust become a lot more toxic thus harmin the environment.. and thus EPA on ur ass..?
i know for track cars its legit but i asked about it for road cars and thats what i was told..?
is this true??

bennjamin
19-03-2005, 10:54 PM
well i've been told by a mechanic that these things are illegal to use in road cars..
the reason why is coz the OCC collects oil vapours and mist etc. and feeds it back into the engine..
and i think by doing this... the result emissions from the exhaust become a lot more toxic thus harmin the environment.. and thus EPA on ur ass..?
i know for track cars its legit but i asked about it for road cars and thats what i was told..?
is this true??

That is not correct. The oil catch can , when correctly installed acts as a filter for oil vapour .
In the normal PCV system the oil catch can is placed inbetween the PCV valve, and inlet manifold filtering excess oil vapour from the normal air route.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/79DSCF0224.JPG*shown is a oil catch can setup.
This dosent disrupt the OEM / stock way of a car functioning at all , is still under constant pressure/not leakign anywhere and should be perfectly safe and ADR compliant.

SOME catch cans , have actual air filters with a atmosphere vent- THIS is illegal .

Usual Suspect
19-03-2005, 11:12 PM
yepo no probs with EPA if its one described above, and as bennjamin stated, as long as its not vented to the atmo it all good.

crxzzR
19-03-2005, 11:16 PM
so the catch cans in our traders section all legal?
thanks for the info ben...
i can see what my mechanic told me now..

Sp3rMz
19-03-2005, 11:19 PM
There was a massive discussion on this few months back. If you really want to know, just call you're local vic roads up or equivalent of vic roads in your state. I believe its legal as long as its not vented into the atmosphere and redirected back.

Sp3rMz
19-03-2005, 11:21 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13119&highlight=oil+catch

wynode
19-03-2005, 11:53 PM
so the catch cans in our traders section all legal?
thanks for the info ben...
i can see what my mechanic told me now..
What is legal/illegal depends on the application. Something illegal for street use doesn't mean you can't use it on the track.